QB Rodgers To Play Most Of Friday's Game

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Notebook: QB Rodgers To Play Most Of Friday's Game

by Mike Spofford, Packers.com
posted 08/30/2006

Aaron Rodgers

With the starting offense likely to play only the opening series against Tennessee on Friday, the preseason finale will be a prime opportunity for backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers to get extensive playing time and build on a strong training camp.

Head Coach Mike McCarthy said Wednesday he expects Rodgers to play the majority of the game, his first extensive playing time since the preseason opener at San Diego.

"I think we're excited as a No. 2 group to be able to get some more time, because the last couple games have been just close-out time," Rodgers said. "We're excited about getting into a flow early. I'm guessing we'll go in the second series, probably in the first quarter at some point. We're excited about getting into a rhythm and hopefully put some points on the board."

Rodgers completed nine of 11 passes for 124 yards directing primarily the second-string offense in San Diego, but he's had just 12 pass attempts in the last two games combined. With so many roster spots up for grabs at the offensive skill positions, Rodgers expects the unit's intensity to be on display every snap.

"A lot of guys have had great camps but haven't had really an opportunity to show what they're made of," he said. "I'm excited about being able to get those guys the ball."

As Brett Favre's backup, Rodgers knows he's always just one snap away from having to go into a game, so the preparation and playing time are valuable in that respect. But they also provide building blocks for his future, and he's had far more to build on this year than his rookie preseason.

"I can't say I'm 100 percent ready, but I'm getting there," he said. "This preseason has been very helpful as far as my development into a comfort level, a confidence level.

"I've felt like my play has been almost where I want it, I've been pretty consistent. Obviously there's mistakes here and there, growing pains and stuff, but I'm hoping to use this last game as a springboard into the season for me as far as confidence, ... using this as mental reinforcement for next year or the year after, whenever my time does come."

Final look
Even though neither the No. 1 offense nor defense played particularly well on Monday night in Cincinnati, McCarthy still wants the last preseason game to be primarily for the final evaluation of backup roster spots.

"It's definitely looking at the second guys and giving them an opportunity to win a job, because we're going to need everybody through the course of the year," McCarthy said.

McCarthy also said that he would be selective with which first-string players would play that first series, depending on health concerns. Donald Driver has a slightly tight hamstring and may not play. Running back Ahman Green potentially could play but no final decision has been made.

Recovery on track
Fullback William Henderson, who had arthroscopic surgery to clean up cartilage in his knee last week, is well on the road to recovery and could be ready for the season opener Sept. 10.

"He's off the charts," McCarthy said. "As far as rehab for his injury, he's way ahead of schedule. All indications look like he'll be ready for Chicago."

Henderson is thankful everything with the minor procedure went well, and that he's had no setbacks thus far.

"That's what our plan was, to go in there, find the problem and get out," he said. "I'm just happy that my determination and desire to get back out there is what it is, and that I'm still younger in body than people give me credit for."

Left-footer
Newly acquired kicker E.J. Cochrane is left-footed, which was to his benefit when he was with Philadelphia earlier this preseason because Eagles' Pro Bowl kicker David Akers is also a lefty.

"The things he taught me were so beneficial," said Cochrane, whose leg strength is similar to the Packers' Dave Rayner. "Being a fellow lefty, it really helped me when I was in Philly. Just the little things with your plant foot, your follow through, your mental aspect with kicking and what to expect in training camp and in season and all that, no one else could tell me."

Green Bay is Cochrane's third team this year after spending 2005 out of football and working as a landscaper in Arizona. He's already used to the somewhat nomadic existence of a kicker trying to latch onto an NFL team, and with Saturday the final cutdown day, he's just hoping to get an opportunity of some kind against Tennessee on Friday.

"I'm not going to be nervous," he said. "It's a different stadium, new crowd, new team, but it's just another day for me."

Injury update
Running back Arliss Beach, who injured his right ankle against Cincinnati, did not practice and has a walking boot on his foot.

Safety Atari Bigby returned to practice with his fractured right hand heavily wrapped.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, either way it's bad. If Favre plays too long and gets (i won't say the word) then it's bad. Of course, as lousy as they looked Monday, they obviously NEED some work. I don't want them going into the Bears game looking like they did against the Bengals.

bavpb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
Rodgers v. Volek advantage Volek

I'm not so sure on that. Volek for the moment is still projected as starter for the Titans, so he won't get much playing time on friday to proof what he wants and has to proof. On the other hand he is angry and therefor maybe tense.

clicka mi

CaliforniaCheez said:
Martin v. Young ???

Advantage Martin.

Take this!

and this!
'...he shows the ability to make deep throws with very good zip and accuracy.'

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see a little more Martin.

At Favre's press conference he said he'd like to play at least a little. I say let him play one series. If he takes them down the field and scores get him out. If not, let him play one more series.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre also said that he needs to get the timing down with the recievers hes not used to, he said he can always count on DD to be there. He has to get some trust in the other players, but when they dont catch the ball how can you form a trust?

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm just wanting to see how arron plays out in a full game,even if it is up agaisnt their second string,just would like to see how he will hold up in a full game :)

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Beach is injured like it reads at the end of the article, I bet he's going to end up on the practice squad.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Favre gets 2 series so he can tune up after Monday's game. Then I hope Rodgers plays to the 4th and Martin after that. I'd give Rodgers a series or 2 with the 1st team offense and then bring in the 2nd team.

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Rodgers played almost the whole game and for what it's worth :

PASSING
CP/AT YDS TD INT

B. Favre 1/1 89 0 0
A. Rodgers 8/15 81 1 0
I. Martin 5/8 45 0 1

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i was expecting alot more out of rogers than that.
hopefully as time goes by he will get better. he hasnt played that much until this preseason.

Canadian packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man did Rogers have happy feet yesterday, he never seem to have his feet set and were rushing the passes. Looked rough. I know he was playing with 2nd and 3rd stringers against 1st team defense but still could have done more.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Canadian packer said:
Man did Rogers have happy feet yesterday, he never seem to have his feet set and were rushing the passes. Looked rough. I know he was playing with 2nd and 3rd stringers against 1st team defense but still could have done more.

He needs to stop making bad decisions and play within the system. Don't worry, McCarthy will ream his *** out and straighten it out!

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
Canadian packer said:

He needs to stop making bad decisions and play within the system. Don't worry, McCarthy will ream his *** out and straighten it out!

No offense intended your way Tom, but where does this mythology about McCarthy being a task master come from? Players describe him as more of a players coach and if you have been around Training camp the atmosphere is more country club than boot camp. Sherman was far more intense and intimidating -- I am not saying that as a good or bad thing, rather simply a matter of fact.

Back to Rodgers, his performance was disappointing. While not so poor that there should be a return to talk/hyperbole of him being a bust, he clearly is not ready for prime-time.

McCarthy has his hands full trying to grow into the role of Head Coach, he sure as Hell does not have time to be training a backup QB. This team has a lot of work to do to be ready to open at home against da bears, and Rodgers will not even be on McCarthy's radar screen of priorities in hopefully rising to that challenge.

Latest posts