PS3 2013: Packers VS Seahawks

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SLuggo42:

Packers still have plenty of questions going into this game--

The OL is in uh "transition" as they like to say, but the rookie Bakhtiari has been a very pleasant surprise so far. How he and Barclay at RT play against Hawks will tell us a lot. It looks like Barclay is going to beat out Newhouse for starting RT which is a BIG RELIEF for all of us.

The defense seems to be improved but how much? We're all waiting to see what Datone Jones can do. He looked awesome in TC until he tweaked his ankle. He should play. Secondary is not sorted out yet.

Our 2nd string QB is a mess of a situation

Bright spots so far:

Eddie Lacy. Looking like the kind of RB the Packers haven't had in a long time. Hope he stays healthy.

Jerdroppal Finley. He may finally put his money where his mouth is this season. He's been outstanding.

A few of our interior DL have been a very pleasant surprise: Johnny Jolly, McDaniels. Packers could end up with a vey nice DL rotation.

Wait-and-see:

Nick Perry. The guy who was supposed to secure the other OLB opposite Clay Matthews. Reviews are mixed. He's got a ton of talent and has shown some flashes but. . .

Are the Packers a good team? Yeah. How good? Very unclear. They could be super-bowl good, they could be struggling for the last playoff spot.

Sluggo42

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But Johnathan Baldwin has been their best receiver. He was just hurt the last time we played. Tate is really only #4 or 5 on their Depth Chart.
Actually his name is Doug Baldwin, and he is the #3, slot receiver. Rice is 1, Tate is two.
Don't know much about Percy Harvin yet, just some tape stuff. But, he is supposed to be back by playoff time.

Do you guys his he will make his presence known in short order upon his return? We don't miss him, as we never had him. He is like a cool Christmas toy that was broken when unwrapped, and to be returned to the factory, and we haven't had him yet.

I keep hearing about this kid Lacy you got. Is he gunna be in the beast type, or perhaps Barry sanders mold, or is he big like Steven Jackson or AP?

Cheers

H

HardRightEdge

Edgar Bennett was a bit upset with how our receivers handled the physical play of the 49er's and Seahawk's secondaries in games 1 and 3 last season. That he commented in this way to the media was no shocker...we got chucked, shoved and knocked off timing with ticky-tack hand checking with disappointing regularity, particularly against Seattle.

It will be interesting to see how our receivers handle it this time around, especially the guys competing for the 4th. and 5th. (or 6th. if there is one) WR spots. Guys who can get off press, shove back and not get caught, and get into the route on time will score big points.

H

HardRightEdge

Actually his name is Doug Baldwin, and he is the #3, slot receiver. Rice is 1, Tate is two.
Don't know much about Percy Harvin yet, just some tape stuff. But, he is supposed to be back by playoff time.

Do you guys his he will make his presence known in short order upon his return? We don't miss him, as we never had him. He is like a cool Christmas toy that was broken when unwrapped, and to be returned to the factory, and we haven't had him yet.

I keep hearing about this kid Lacy you got. Is he gunna be in the beast type, or perhaps Barry sanders mold, or is he big like Steven Jackson or AP?

Cheers

Lacy is Ted Thompson's Steven-Jackson-reasonable-facsimile. He runs very hard with vision, can hurt you in space in the passing game, and is not a bad blocker. I'm not sure if he or the other guys will get injured first.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score

Cheers
Baldwin was the best WR on your team from what I saw when he was healthy

Lacy is 5'11 230. That says it all.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Loyce Means may as well head straight home after this game and not put himself through any more practices.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well then nice preseason win. I'm not so sad to say we might of seen the last of Harrell as his tail makes its way out of GB. Vince Young looked sharp as did Hyde and Jolly notably.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WTH is with these hamstrings?
Hayward, B Jones, Burnett...... is there a problem with our trainer?

And is it just me, or is our offensive line perhaps the worst run-blocking unit in pro football.
And that includes the CFL.

I feel so bad for Harris, Lacy, for having to get the ball 6 yards in the backfield behind these 5 soft White Wall members.

There's never any push, never any holes. They were soft last year, and they are soft today.

Seattle had some 8-man fronts, but there's no excuse for there to be 3 guys in the backfield as soon as Lacy gets the ball handed off.

Bostic with a bad drop in the game, I don't trust him.
#35 Means earned himself a pink slip at least 4 times.
His name will be first on that initial cut list.

I don't blame Jolly on that long TD run by the man named Christine.
One of the LBers took totally the wrong lane, already occupied, and he left the huge hole there. I can't remember if it was Manning or Lattimore in there....too many guys with dreadlocks and can't see names.

A shame there were no real FG opportunites from 40+ yard range.

I've tried to defend Graham Harrell for awhile. I just have a hard time seeing anything now.... I like a guy with some energy, some passion.

I know I throw the ball better than Vince Young, but I think I'd have more faith in him than the other guys Harrell and Coleman. I think VY makes the team.

I wanted to see Franklin with the ones, but nobody blocks anywhere, anytime, so it doesn't matter.

I loved Clay Matthews intensity and aggressiveness.
I'm glad he's pissed off.

Also, despite keeping the Seahawks out of the end zone and picking off Wilson twice, I am not convinced we will be good stopping Kaepernick & Frank Al Gore in 15 days from now.

I like Nick Perry, as always.
Didn't notice Datone Jones except his one offside penalty.

I love DuJuan Harris, but the guy should be put on PUP right now for a long time and get him fresh..... we have enough with the 2 rookies plus Green and/or Starks.

Jermichael Finley was our best player on offense.

I hate our OL coach.
I worry Capers is outdated, good against a conventional offense, not sure what to do against the 49ers spread offense. Hope I am comforted in 15 days.

I love McCarthy. Here's why:

When Seattle was set to punt from about midfield, on 4th & 17 at a meaningless time of the game, Slocum's unit, as usual, was confused, and they were about to get too many men on the field called. No big deal as it would have then been 4th & 12.
So Slocum calls time out, and McCarthy is pissed.

I could read his lips. Anyone who still has the game on DVR, you should re-watch that and read his lips.
Cracked me up.... said something about it's 4th & 17, don't call *** timeout there.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Harris had a clear lane the one play and didn take it.

Frank is wondering why Barclay and Sitton can't run block anymore at this point.

Hypon noticed the Seahawks pretty much ignored the passing game once Rodgers left, and showed an 8 man box once or twice when he was in, dropping "OL" production. OL isn't completely "soft" but they certainly didn't play like BA's

Last edited:

12theTruth

Even though Seattle loaded the box against the run quite a bit after Rodgers left, our offensive line pretty much got owned by the Seattle defensive front. Seattle was even rotating in a few players along the defensive line in the first half. So its not like the Pack were playing Seattle's starters for the entire time.

This could be a special year for the defense. Its great to see considerable push and disruption along the line. :)

How many plays was Kuhn in in the first quarter? It didn't look like he was out there much.
Quarless got some good action out there, I think DJ Williams should be a bit worried about making the roster.

If season started today you'd have to waive both of our FG kickers. Just haven't had enough opportunities in game action this preseason to cement their status.

It is pretty obvious that McCarthy wants Harris as his primary back just so he can bring in Lacy and be his closer or clock killer if you will when the Packers need to ice the game. I wish he would just go with Lacy as he NEEDS to start considering the **** poor run blocking that this line affords. Harris is a good back but would be GREAT with a competent run blocking offensive line.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dislikes:

1. The hamstring. See above for details.
2. Graham Harrell. Ditto.
3. Seattle's cut-blocking.
4. OL being pushed around as usual. It was mainly the 2nd stringers but still.
5. Finley's brief regression into Jerdroppal Paddlehands. The TD catch was a tough one and he almost made it, the missed throw from Harrell was not a tough catch at all.
6. Charles Johnson. Sorry my friend, lots of potential but you didn't show it last night.

Positives I came away with:

1. Vince Young.
2. Micah Hyde. He was all over the field making tackles and being aggressive.
3. Nick Perry. Not a great pass rush but he made some big plays doing other things.
4. Johnny Jolly. He was regularly double and tripe-teamed. He may be our best interior DL.
5. CMIII showing how it's done.
6. Brad Jones looked very aggressive out there.
7. Terrell Manning played much better than he did. That roughing the passer call on him was utterly ridiculous, and please somebody shut Phil Simms up.
8. Crosby didn't choke and he boomed them deep into the end zone on kickoffs.
9. That rookie FB out of Washington what's-his-name.

WaterBoy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year, we had to make the passing game fit into what the O-line was (not)capable of.. instead of counting on the O-line to give the passing game room(time) function up to its potential. By mid-season, last year, the script for defending us, was well known. Looks like it'll be that way again, this year... **sigh** We'll be left again, to wonder how Rodgers might play; given a genuine pocket to work from, even just now and then.

And of course, the lack of a running threat has a lot to do with not being able to create anything resembling a pocket... which leads me to my biggest worry.. run blocking. Last night, it looked like they'd rather "whiff", than get blown off the line. Ya can't have, as a weekly plan, the hope of using a pocket-less passing game, to set-up some sort of running game, grasping for some level of balance..

On a good note: The, "healthier defense " might be just good enough to allow us to win a shootout, or two. Gonna be a long, tough, interesting season..

D

Dan115

Let's let the coaches try to correct these problems before the 9ers game. I am sure they saw the same problems they we all saw last night. I have a lot of respect for McCarthy. I think he knows exactly what the Packers need to work on for the first game.

12theTruth

Let's let the coaches try to correct these problems before the 9ers game. I am sure they saw the same problems they we all saw last night. I have a lot of respect for McCarthy. I think he knows exactly what the Packers need to work on for the first game.

The only correction for the Packers deficiencies is to have their big 3 wideouts healthy. The line will be a weakness all season long. We will just have to overcome that with lots of no huddle, running out of passing formations and an opportunistic defense. Sound like last season. Yep. Except our defense should be better.

D

Dan115

The only correction for the Packers deficiencies is to have their big 3 wideouts healthy. The line will be a weakness all season long. We will just have to overcome that with lots of no huddle, running out of passing formations and an opportunistic defense. Sound like last season. Yep. Except our defense should be better.

Yes, I think you are correct. I would love to see the O line get in gear . I am hoping the two young tackles will show marked improvement in the next few months.

12theTruth

Yes, I think you are correct. I would love to see the O line get in gear . I am hoping the two young tackles will show marked improvement in the next few months.

We'd all love for the offensive line to be a strength. Darn injuries to Sherrod and Bulaga sure don't help but thats what you have depth for I guess. I think starting Lacy would also help the O-line as he will almost always fall forward for a couple yards. He has great vision. Last night wasn't Lacy's fault that there were 2 to 3 mean waiting for him about a half a second after he got the ball. A Good part of that was Graham Harrell but still?

I think Barclay and Sitton should be on the same side as I think those two both have mean streaks and could really be more effective than pairing Lang who is more of a finesse guy.

Being that the Seahawk game was supposed to be a dress rehearsal for the regular season our offensive line will once again likely be giving us ulcers.

D

Dan115

We'd all love for the offensive line to be a strength. Darn injuries to Sherrod and Bulaga sure don't help but thats what you have depth for I guess. I think starting Lacy would also help the O-line as he will almost always fall forward for a couple yards. He has great vision. Last night wasn't Lacy's fault that there were 2 to 3 mean waiting for him about a half a second after he got the ball. A Good part of that was Graham Harrell but still?

I think Barclay and Sitton should be on the same side as I think those two both have mean streaks and could really be more effective than pairing Lang who is more of a finesse guy.

Being that the Seahawk game was supposed to be a dress rehearsal for the regular season our offensive line will once again likely be giving us ulcers.

Yes, I am sure the coaches are tearing their hair out about that showing last night. Harrell just can not throw the ball. He did not help the running attack. The Seahawks did not fear the pass at all.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WTH is with these hamstrings?
Hayward, B Jones, Burnett...... is there a problem with our trainer?
Having working as a strength coach in a different professional sport I can say that from my experience the hamstrings fall on the shoulders of the strength and conditioning staff. They are in charge of preparing these players' bodies for the season. Now it is always possible that because they have more authority, the medical staff could have influenced their plan but it is impossible to know the inner workings to that detail.

Hayward blew his working out on his own before camp but he still has a year long plan to follow that these guys give him and they are supposed to have instilled various warmup techniques for him to employ on his own to prevent this. Hamstrings are not freak injuries the majority of the time. It is either something they are doing or are not doing. I feel like this has been a problem mostly the last 2 years. They need to evaluate everything they have added or removed in the last 2 seasons....and this has nothing to do with the cba practice limitations. There is plenty of time to do the things you need to do to keep your hamstrings in top form with the current schedule. It is an exercises(s) that has been added, removed...a warmup philosophy that has been changed or a supplementation issue. Figure it out already.

And I do not want to hear about these guys winning awards. Those awards are based solely on team performance and if your peers feel you have "put your time in". There is no way to give these awards based on actual performance because what they do is not measurable.....and even if it were privacy/hippa laws prevent you from accessing the data from which to measure.

Its also kind of weird how none of these are full blown hamstring injuries. They are all towards the nagging side. Full blown means you are done for half the season.

WaterBoy

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's a given, and I too have high respect for McCarthy.. He's more responsible for the success we did have last year, than any group of players, save, maybe Rodgers.

I'm just respectfully, and regretfully believing that not much has changed. We're looking at a third year of Rodgers either throwing it quickly, or abandoning a pocket that never forms. He's good enough to have made hay out of it, but only to a point. The formula for defending us will start week one.. vs. last year, where it didn't become common until mid-season... and hoping for him to again survive 50+ sacks, is scary..

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With regard to the hamstrings and the medical staff, one issue I have is MM's assurance that the entire staff undergoes evaluation at the end of the season, so they presumably evaluated the medical staff and conditioning coaches. Who is "they"? It's probably people inside the Packer organization, but that's where the problem lies. Of course I can't claim to know, but if you want an objective evaluation, using your own people to do it is not good enough. They tend to have a bias. You need to have an independent body of experts who have no ties to the organization to do that which, when combined with your internal evaluation, is usually far more objective. IMO McCarthy tends to behave like the army general: I'm responsible for my coaches. That's all fine and good but it often doesn't translate into a penetrating analysis and evaluation.

Now I certainly can't be sure of this, but I would like to ask: has an independent evaluation of the conditioning staff been done by outside experts? Is this part of the Packer modus operandi or not? If it is, I stand corrected, but until I learn whether or not that's the case, doubts about the conditioning program will remain because we've just seen too much of this in the last few years.

If someone were to have access to all the data to create a comparison of all the teams in terms of hamstring injuries and the like over the years, I'd very much like to see that.

lol_wut

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The OL wasn't very good but it was also mostly second string when it happened. Guess I'm the only one not that worried about that. The "blueprint" on how to defend the Packers is out for this season? LOL no. Reactionary fans at their absolute best.

Members online

Latest posts