Product still on the shelf for Day 3.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going into the draft the Pack desperately needed an ILB as well as a second string TE, OT and DT. Despite the fact that it would be great to get a second string TE and a quick third down running back I think the current situation forces the Pack to take 3 ILB in the next two rounds and hope one works out. The sixth round is similar to an UFA in terms of the chances the kid will contribute. In the sixth I' d take a stab at a RB.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers absolutely have to add a prospect capable of excelling as a coverage linebacker. Joshua Perry or Jeremy Cash might fit that need.

Sky King

Reaction score
Perhaps a combination of what's still left in the draft and a player off the waiver wire between now and the end of camp somehow successfully fills the voids. Not my first choice for addressing ILB but that's about all the viable options that remain. Maybe Bradford takes a giant leap or TT trades for a vet. And maybe my odds of winning the lottery aren't that bad either.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surprisingly deep draft, lots of twists, turns and surprises. Nitty gritty work today.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers absolutely have to add a prospect capable of excelling as a coverage linebacker. Joshua Perry or Jeremy Cash might fit that need.
What concerns me, and why I didn't look that close at him in the first place, is that he broke his wrist in December and then skipped the Combine workouts. At his Pro Day he was suffering a hamstring. He did lift at the Pro Day showing 13, which might indicate some residual wrist issues.

He had a private workout in mid-April, which looks pretty good for a guy who didn't train for it, 3-cone notwithstanding, but he evidently did not try to improve on the lifts, which is a concern.

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2016/...orkout-results-at-private-pro-day-95-healthy/

I'm highly skeptical of these smaller guys. be they college SS or ILB, playing even semi-regularly at ILB. It's just a rebranding the of the box safety concept. To play these kinds of guys semi-regularly or 3-dwon, you need a stud such as Ragland or the pro players we all know to be top drawer to pair with him.

I like the idea of a healthy Cash for a different reason. This team is only 2 1/2 players deep at safety with Hyde the emergency option. Hyde will be entering FA after this season. Banjo is just a special team player; his upside is occasional box safety. I'd like to see either a SS with respectable coverage skills or a coverage FS added for depth and the eventualities of 2017. Capers coverage concepts are not what you'd call intuitively grasped; it would be nice to give a guy a year to get his feet wet.

I cannot share your enthusiasm for Perry. Here's an all-play tape from the Michigan St. game:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

He plays smaller than his 254 lbs. in the run game. Lots of clean-up plays after somebody else makes initial contact or stretches the play to the sidelines. He plays heads-up high which is good for play awareness, but he gets pushed around a lot as a result.

The only time in the entire game he had to cover downfield, other than the perfunctory zone drop with the ball not thrown his, was the play at the 2:38 mark where he was late reacting to that 4.83 pro day FB release and got burned for a TD. On that play you see his 4.68 speed was not sufficient to make up for the poor awareness. This is precisely the kind of problem we'd like to see fixed.

I see a less hardnosed version of Ryan, but a guy with better play awareness than Ryan coming in. With Ryan's improvement from start to finish of the season, as you know I see more upside there. I don't think Perry would provide much of an upgrade, if any at all.

H

HardRightEdge

Did not get to watch last night but man a lot left in the board I would love to see us get Cash and either Scooby or Schobert. Can't believe Billings is still there I knew it was deep but man
There's been mention of a possible injury issue. Maybe he had a positive test in college. Or maybe he's an idiot in interviews and just not a guy anybody wants to be around. The story eventually leaks out.

D

Deleted member 6794

I cannot share your enthusiasm for Perry. Here's an all-play tape from the Michigan St. game.

He plays smaller than his 254 lbs. in the run game. Lots of clean-up plays after somebody else makes initial contact or stretches the play to the sidelines. He plays heads-up high which is good for play awareness, but he gets pushed around a lot as a result.

The only time in the entire game he had to cover downfield, other than the perfunctory zone drop with the ball not thrown his, was the play at the 2:38 mark where he was late reacting to that 4.83 pro day FB release and got burned for a TD. On that play you see his 4.68 speed was not sufficient to make up for the poor awareness. This is precisely the kind of problem we'd like to see fixed.

I see a less hardnosed version of Ryan, but a guy with better play awareness than Ryan coming in. With Ryan's improvement from start to finish of the season, as you know I see more upside there. I don't think Perry would provide much of an upgrade, if any at all.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be extremely excited about drafting Joshua Perry but at this point there aren't a lot of better players at the position available.

Perry doesn't excel at anything but is decent atopping the run, rushing the passer and dropping into the coverage.

Nick Kwiatkowski might be another option.

D

Deleted member 6794

I must have misunderstood. I was responding to this ;):

Well, as I said above one of them might fit that need. I don't think there's any prospect still available presenting a guaranteed upgrade over the players currently on the roster.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What concerns me, and why I didn't look that close at him in the first place, is that he broke his wrist in December and then skipped the Combine workouts. At his Pro Day he was suffering a hamstring. He did lift at the Pro Day showing 13, which might indicate some residual wrist issues.

He had a private workout in mid-April, which looks pretty good for a guy who didn't train for it, 3-cone notwithstanding, but he evidently did not try to improve on the lifts, which is a concern.

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2016/...orkout-results-at-private-pro-day-95-healthy/

I'm highly skeptical of these smaller guys. be they college SS or ILB, playing even semi-regularly at ILB. It's just a rebranding the of the box safety concept. To play these kinds of guys semi-regularly or 3-dwon, you need a stud such as Ragland or the pro players we all know to be top drawer to pair with him.

I like the idea of a healthy Cash for a different reason. This team is only 2 1/2 players deep at safety with Hyde the emergency option. Hyde will be entering FA after this season. Banjo is just a special team player; his upside is occasional box safety. I'd like to see either a SS with respectable coverage skills or a coverage FS added for depth and the eventualities of 2017. Capers coverage concepts are not what you'd call intuitively grasped; it would be nice to give a guy a year to get his feet wet.

I cannot share your enthusiasm for Perry. Here's an all-play tape from the Michigan St. game:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

That's definitely some great analysis. After watching that tape, I'm very underwhelmed. He doesn't play with almost any power. He's late to a lot of plays even though he knows where it's going. He did have a few nice side line stops which suggests he does have some game speed.

Overall, he seems a lot like Joe Thomas, but I still think Joe hits harder.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How does everyone feel about Brothers? I think he's a little slow, but he hits hard and always seems to be around the ball.

This is what people said about Denzell Perryman last year and Perryman ended up working his way into that Chargers starting lineup. I believe Perryman was drafted in round 4 last year?

People tend to forget though, that players coming out of college are like putty. They get another layer of coaching added on at the next level and they end up being better than what we saw on their college tape eventually. Some fans tend to think that a players ceiling begins and ends in college, when that isn't the case. So its not always a "what you see is what you get". You have to be able to see through their college tape and see the potential of what they could be, not what they currently are.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is what people said about Denzell Perryman last year and Perryman ended up working his way into that Chargers starting lineup. I believe Perryman was drafted in round 4 last year?

Perryman really excelled defending the run with the Chargers last season but struggled in coverage, which is exactly what a lot of us expected. Brothersis a similar prospect.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

People tend to forget though, that players coming out of college are like putty. They get another layer of coaching added on at the next level and they end up being better than what we saw on their college tape eventually. Some fans tend to think that a players ceiling begins and ends in college, when that isn't the case. So its not always a "what you see is what you get". You have to be able to see through their college tape and see the potential of what they could be, not what they currently are.

Ya, he was pretty good in the run game. I like the comparison to Paul Dawson and if he's smart enough to be around the ball, he'll find was to improve in coverage with better coaching.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked Perryman, he was on my wish list, but he was too small and too slow to play :)

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes we have needs but this late in the draft is pretty tough to find a really good player. I think I would like to see an interior O lineman picked and why not use two picks on a punter and a kick returner? I am really not that enamored with our kick returning. Lets get a professional.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see our picks today come out of this list; (no particular order)
LB- Perry, Brothers, Goodson, Stryker, Martinez, Kwiatkowski

Oline- Murphy, Benonoch, Theus, Haeg, Turner, Alexander, Westerman, Dahl

WR/KR- Listenbee

TE- Adams

DLine- Ridgeway, Day, Tapper, Judon

Any other WR's or DB's you guys like, I'm fine with.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see our picks today come out of this list; (no particular order)
LB- Perry, Brothers, Goodson, Stryker, Martinez, Kwiatkowski

Oline- Murphy, Benonoch, Theus, Haeg, Turner, Alexander, Westerman, Dahl

WR/KR- Listenbee

TE- Adams

DLine- Ridgeway, Day, Tapper, Judon

Any other WR's or DB's you guys like, I'm fine with.

I like that list. Especially Brothers, Ridgeway, Day, and Adams.

H

HardRightEdge

The guy ran a 4.89 at the Combine for gosh sakes. If you're going take a slow guy who's only value is against the run, why not take a faster guy who's good against the run, will stand guys up in the hole, and won't cost as high a pick? That would be Chubb, to name one example.

Members online

Latest posts