Prioritizing Needs

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Looking at the immediate roster and the next couple of seasons, how might the Packers be prioritizing their positional needs?

1) Tight End: The Packers are not tendering Tyler Davis (though they may bring him back as a ST stalwart), which means that Deguara is the only player currently left at the position on the roster, and he's in a contract year in addition to being very much a niche guy who doesn't fulfill the typical roles of a TE. This isn't necessarily the position that should be addressed first in the draft because of positional value, but it is certainly the greatest need. Round 1 (prospect value allowing).

2) Safety:
The defensive backfield is something of a mystery this off-season because of speculation regarding where guys will ultimately land. Is Savage primarily a safety or a slot corner? Might Douglas move to safety? Regardless, Savage is in a contract year and Douglas is a likely cut candidate after this season. Scott and Gaines are also UFA's after this season, if they even make the roster. I would say that this is a day 1 position if I thought there was a safety worth that investment in this class. Round 1 (prospect value allowing).

3) Wide Receiver:
GB has Watson, Doubs, Toure, and Melton around for the foreseeable future (if they want the latter two). Watson did enough to assure that he's a player. There's some reason for optimism around Doubs. That's about where it ends. They need to add here immediately and for the future. They could realistically have 3-4 new names on the 53 man roster and 2 would absolutely be the minimum. Round 1 (prospect value allowing).

4) Quarterback:
This is a unique position, because it will change dramatically based on how Love performs in 2023. It could be quite low after this season, or it could be the #1 need with a bullet. For the present, I would say it's fairly pressing. With the concussion rules being what they are now (which is a good thing), backup QB's are more important than ever. I'm sure they will sign a veteran, and I would expect a day 2/3 player to be drafted to fill out the room. Day 2 or later.

5) Interior Defensive Line:
The Packers are committed to Kenny Clark through 2024 and have a 1st rounder entering his 2nd season. T.D. Slaton seems like a competent depth player and Jonathan Ford is a big unknown. Beyond that, there isn't much on the roster. The depth needs to be addressed, though it would seem like a veteran would make more sense than another young guy given the youth in the room already. Day 2 or later; Round 1 in the case of an exceptional prospect.

6) Cornerback:
Again, the defensive backfield is a little hard to reckon with because of the potential for position switches. If Savage is the slot, that lessens an immediate need. If Douglas moves to safety, that lessens the depth. However, it is at least clear that Alexander, Stokes, and Nixon are in for this season, and the former two will be there beyond 2023. As early as day 2 would be fine and day 3 is a basic certainty. Day 2 or later.

7) Offensive Tackle:
With the recent restructure to Bakhtiari, the Packers are currently committed but (if Spotrac is up to date) could get out of the dead in 2024 (40M in cap savings, 19M in dead money). It would seem to me that Bakh either shows he's in decline this season, and they eat the money and move on, OR he looks to be back to his old self and they extend him to spread out that cap hit. Apart from him, they will have Nijman most likely starting in a contract year, and potentially Rasheed Walker and/or Caleb Jones sticking around developmentally. So the need is really adding talented depth to succeed Nijman and compete. Day 2 would be just fine and even a 1st round pick makes sense, given positional value, if the right guy is there. Day 2 or later; Round 1 in the case of an exceptional prospect.

8) Edge Rusher:
Preston Smith is probably financially entrenched through 2024, and Gary's injury was early enough in the year that he should be back for the start of the season or at least early on. He is a pending FA, but I would expect an extension. Enagbare showed enough promise to be a primary spell guy this season. Because of positional value and rotational flexibility, I wouldn't rule this position out in round 1, but I think day 2 or early day 3 would be fine. Day 2 or later; Round 1 in the case of an exceptional prospect.

9) Running Back:
The Packers are set with their top 2 in 2023, and are basically pot-committed to Aaron Jones for 2024. Beyond that, Dillon is in a contract year and there aren't any other backs on the roster who are locks even to make this present roster out of camp. A day 3 pick on a RB would not go amiss to fill out the room and succeed Dillon after this season. However, they could afford to wait just because of the ability of RB's to make rookie impacts. Day 3 or UDFA.

10) Interior Offensive Line:
For 2023, this position is set, with Jenkins and Runyan entrenched, Tom and Myers competing at center (I'm projecting), and Newman, Rhyan, and Hanson also on the roster. Runyan is in a contract year, but the pressure of that reality will depend on how Rhyan comes along (or fails to). This is a spot where they could take a guy on day 3 or even not at all and they would be fine. A tackle with interior flexibility would be most efficient. Day 3 or UDFA.

11) Linebacker:
Campbell is probably financially locked into the roster through 2024, which in addition to Quay Walker means that the starters are accounted for. Maybe I'll be surprised, but I would guess that Isaiah McDuffie and Krys Barnes are back as backups and core special teamers. To me, that means that adding day 3 options or UDFA's should be sufficient. Day 3 or UDFA.

D

Deleted member 6794

1) Tight End: The Packers are not tendering Tyler Davis (though they may bring him back as a ST stalwart), which means that Deguara is the only player currently left at the position on the roster, and he's in a contract year in addition to being very much a niche guy who doesn't fulfill the typical roles of a TE. This isn't necessarily the position that should be addressed first in the draft because of positional value, but it is certainly the greatest need. Round 1 (prospect value allowing).

Well, the Packers re-signed Tyler Davis yersterday. Doesn't change the fact that the position is in desperate need of an upgrade.

10) Interior Offensive Line: For 2023, this position is set, with Jenkins and Runyan entrenched, Tom and Myers competing at center (I'm projecting), and Newman, Rhyan, and Hanson also on the roster. Runyan is in a contract year, but the pressure of that reality will depend on how Rhyan comes along (or fails to). This is a spot where they could take a guy on day 3 or even not at all and they would be fine. A tackle with interior flexibility would be most efficient. Day 3 or UDFA.

That's the only one I disagree with. In my opinion with Myers and Runyan struggling last season the interior offensive line is a bigger need than you suggest.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well, the Packers re-signed Tyler Davis yersterday. Doesn't change the fact that the position is in desperate need of an upgrade.

That's the only one I disagree with. In my opinion with Myers and Runyan struggling last season the interior offensive line is a bigger need than you suggest.

If they were/are bent on being sure they can replace Myers and Runyan immediately, then it would be a bigger need. However, with guys like Tom and Rhyan already on the roster, it would seem more likely that they could add to the depth for the sake of competition and allow things to shake out.

I believe Gutekunst said at the combine that he sees Tom's best NFL position being center, which would signal (to me) that he's going to get a chance to earn that job.

Runyan has played enough quality snaps in GB that I would be surprised if they went out of their way to replace him. Given that he was consistently better prior to 2022 would suggest that he struggled mostly as a function of the entire line struggling, mainly due to injury.

However, if the right prospect is there, I would not rule this position out earlier. What would seem ideal to me is a tackle prospect with interior flexibility. Because they're going to get into a number crunch. 10 OL on the 53 man roster is probably the maximum. They already have Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Myers, Tom, Runyan, Nijman, Newman, Hanson, Walker, and Jones who spent some amount of time on the 53 man roster last year. Certainly they aren't all locks, but if you add more than one rookie to the position group, you're probably looking at either making some trades or cutting guys that are roster worthy.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Gutekunst said at the combine that he sees Tom's best NFL position being center, which would signal (to me) that he's going to get a chance to earn that job.
Why you would put a guy at center that has shown he can effectively play L tackle is kind of beyond me. I don't think they have even tried him on the right side.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Why you would put a guy at center that has shown he can effectively play L tackle is kind of beyond me. I don't think they have even tried him on the right side.
I would guess that Tom at Center and Nijman at RT is a more effective pairing than Myers at Center and Tom at RT.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would guess that Tom at Center and Nijman at RT is a more effective pairing than Myers at Center and Tom at RT.
Is Meyers a bad player? Maybe Tom would be better than Nijman on the R.

Reaction score
They already have Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Myers, Tom, Runyan, Nijman, Newman, Hanson, Walker, and Jones who spent some amount of time on the 53 man roster last year.
I mostly agree. Although if a premier Edge is there at #15? I’d still consider that, especially if we land #13 which is unknown. I’d be all over Adebawore in Round 2 if he’s there and he’s athletic enough to play Edge, but strong enough to play inside at 3T. He could be a good compromise there at #45 due to positional versatility.

Otherwise, Sean Rhyan shouldn’t be omitted just yet. He’s coming off a major suspension, but he was 1st Team All-PAC-12 and I suspect he’ll be fighting to redeem himself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I mostly agree. Although if a premier Edge is there at #15? I’d still consider that, especially if we land #13 which is unknown. I’d be all over Adebawore in Round 2 if he’s there and he’s athletic enough to play Edge, but strong enough to play inside at 3T. He could be a good compromise there at #45 due to positional versatility.

Otherwise, Sean Rhyan shouldn’t be omitted just yet. He’s coming off a major suspension, but he was 1st Team All-PAC-12 and I suspect he’ll be fighting to redeem himself.

Sean Rhyan’s omission was an oversight.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he’s thoroughly mediocre.

I will say personally Myers hasn’t improved since his rookie year. Wouldn’t shock me one bit if we target an iOL or if we draft a solid tackle to see Tom as our center.

D

Deleted member 6794

If they were/are bent on being sure they can replace Myers and Runyan immediately, then it would be a bigger need. However, with guys like Tom and Rhyan already on the roster, it would seem more likely that they could add to the depth for the sake of competition and allow things to shake out.

However, if the right prospect is there, I would not rule this position out earlier. What would seem ideal to me is a tackle prospect with interior flexibility. Because they're going to get into a number crunch. 10 OL on the 53 man roster is probably the maximum. They already have Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Myers, Tom, Runyan, Nijman, Newman, Hanson, Walker, and Jones who spent some amount of time on the 53 man roster last year. Certainly they aren't all locks, but if you add more than one rookie to the position group, you're probably looking at either making some trades or cutting guys that are roster worthy.

In my opinion neither Hanson, Jones, Newman, Rhyan and Walker are locks to make the final roster resulting in enough spots being available to add some players to compete for them.

Tom played a total of 98 snaps on the right side of the line last season (14 at guard, 84 at tackle).

How much RT has Nijman played?

Nijman played 555 snaps at right tackle last season.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be really disappointing if Newman has gotten to the point where he can't be a decent back up. I am hoping they only have to draft 1 OL before the 7th round since they have other needs.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I was not aware. Did he do as good on the R as he did on the L?
IIRC One game Nijman(?) was getting smoked at RT first few drives and Tom came in and settled it down. Unless I remember it backwards or got the players wrong. I was not impressed with Nijman last season on the right side.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I thought Tom illustrated much better technique and footwork on left side but he played limited number of snaps on right. He truly is IMO at worst our third best lineman but I think second (only Bakh better)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So now Tom is better than Jenkins? Started St. *****'s day a little early now did we?

It is only due to the slight regression I saw in Jenkins ability outside. It isn’t as much that I believe Jenkins is worse overall, Tom I think has Tackle or Guard starting ability, I’m questioning z Jenkins outside ability after this past year BUT to be fair his injury I think was part of it.

Jenkins is by fair a better guard, but I do and have for a long time even before the draft believe Tom has the ability to start any five spots and I’m beginning to question if Jenkins can. But Jenkins is arguably best or top 3 worst at guard in NFL for me

Reaction score
Sean Rhyan’s omission was an oversight.
Sorry didn’t mean to come off that way. It just goes to show us how much we’ve invested in our OL and available options. While mainly Day 3 selections (Rhyan barely made the Day 2 cut) as you’ve nicely pointed out, we’ve got the makings for deep and versatile OL combinations. It’s an area we should really expect some growth this season. That’s often the difference between a Day 2 and Day 3 OLineman is their level refinement. We hit it a ton in the late rounds and the return on OL investment should start paying dividends around now.

Happy St Patrick’s Day everyone!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

PFF doesn't offer grades for a specific position played on the offensive line.

They graded him at 63.2 (78.3 in pass protection, 53.8 blocking for the run) against the Vikings in week 17 when he lined up at right tackle for 48 of 55 snaps as well as 59.5 (45.6; 65.9) against the Lions when he exclusively played RT for 36 snaps.

I thought Tom illustrated much better technique and footwork on left side but he played limited number of snaps on right. He truly is IMO at worst our third best lineman but I think second (only Bakh better)

It's ridiculous to suggest that Tom is a better lineman than Jenkins at this point.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PFF doesn't offer grades for a specific position played on the offensive line.

They graded him at 63.2 (78.3 in pass protection, 53.8 blocking for the run) against the Vikings in week 17 when he lined up at right tackle for 48 of 55 snaps as well as 59.5 (45.6; 65.9) against the Lions when he exclusively played RT for 36 snaps.

It's ridiculous to suggest that Tom is a better lineman than Jenkins at this point.

Ridiculous to you, but I expressed more why I think at this moment I feel that, I don’t think Jenkins was same post injury but I expect we may see the better version now further removed.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where is the biggest upgrade possible? Myers struggled but was coming off an injury riddled rookie season. If he doesn't show a big bounce this season, I think the best shot to improve the O line is for Tom to play center if he's as good there as the coaches claim he is. Nijman may have already hit his peak. He's a pretty good pass blocker but struggled against the run which seems to be a trend for the line as a whole. If healthy, an O line if Bakh, Jenkins, Tom, Runyan and Nijman could be one of the better units in the league.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts