Players with Injury/character/and other concerns.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally disagree. There are players with explosive strength on the football field who don't bench well, and players who bench well who don't have plus football strength. It's a meaningless metric.

He would by a 5T when we are in 3-4, which is somewhat less than 300 snaps per season. In our true base, which is sub, he's an edge. Thinking in terms of 34OLB and 34DE is outdated. That's not this team or this league any more.
I like Epenesa as 5Tec and 4iTec. Don't forget that Z and Pres can also play with their hand in the dirt too and have Gary sub in passing downs.
I agree with the bench press. I think that has to do more with muscle endurance. I don't take combine metrics too seriously. I think I posted a research on combine metrics/measurements and average career value of players (relative to their position). Combine measurements only predicted ~4.3% of players future success. Strongest predictors being 3-cone, broad, 40, height and weight. <-- Also crazy because these metrics are what Packers look at as their own statistical "thresholds." It's that other unexplained measurement that teams have to do that will help them.

What I really care about is college production and consistently - behavior outside football. Particularly when it comes to QBs, I like watching QBs take over and win when their team is losing. Im not sure if this is measured at all. Thats a trait of many star QBs in the NFL, did in college. comeback wins in college I guess.

Lastly, teamfit. As we're talking about where Epenesa will play in the packer defense. There is no way to measure this and its subjective and qualitative. Could ask a former player if they thought they played in the right scheme after they retired but that's asking them to think retrospectively (measurement error).

ANYWAYS I DIGRESS. The draft needs to get here.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I like Epenesa as 5Tec and 4iTec. Don't forget that Z and Pres can also play with their hand in the dirt too and have Gary sub in passing downs.
I agree with the bench press. I think that has to do more with muscle endurance. I don't take combine metrics too seriously. I think I posted a research on combine metrics/measurements and average career value of players (relative to their position). Combine measurements only predicted ~4.3% of players future success. Strongest predictors being 3-cone, broad, 40, height and weight. <-- Also crazy because these metrics are what Packers look at as their own statistical "thresholds." It's that other unexplained measurement that teams have to do that will help them.

What I really care about is college production and consistently - behavior outside football. Particularly when it comes to QBs, I like watching QBs take over and win when their team is losing. Im not sure if this is measured at all. Thats a trait of many star QBs in the NFL, did in college. comeback wins in college I guess.

Lastly, teamfit. As we're talking about where Epenesa will play in the packer defense. There is no way to measure this and its subjective and qualitative. Could ask a former player if they thought they played in the right scheme after they retired but that's asking them to think retrospectively (measurement error).

ANYWAYS I DIGRESS. The draft needs to get here.

Oh I have no doubt that Epenesa could play 5 and 4i. Nor do I think that it's a problem for GB that he would play with a hand down. For some reason people continue to think that I don't believe he could play in Green Bay. That's not my issue at all. My problem is that about 80% of the time, our defensive formations would meant that he would be competing with our other edge rushers for playing time.

There are major opportunities for guys to play a ton and have a big impact at OT, WR, LB, and CB this year and definitely next year. If they were going to take another pass rusher, he would need to be head and shoulders better than the other options because that player's path to major snaps (and thus, impact) is a lot more crowded.

And while Epenesa is a good prospect for the type of player that he is, he's certainly not standing out as a dramatically better prospect than other options in the late first.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And while Epenesa is a good prospect for the type of player that he is, he's certainly not standing out as a dramatically better prospect than other options in the late first.

This is important. He will make a very good 5 technique. Today's NFL doesn't value the run-stuffing, non-pass-rushing dlinemen any more (for good reason). Damon Harrison, maybe the best run stopper in the NFL, just got traded for a fifth round pick. Epenesa's position just isn't that important in today's NFL.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This is important. He will make a very good 5 technique. Today's NFL doesn't value the run-stuffing, non-pass-rushing dlinemen any more (for good reason). Damon Harrison, maybe the best run stopper in the NFL, just got traded for a fifth round pick. Epenesa's position just isn't that important in today's NFL.

I guess I am just going to be disagreeing with everyone on this guy, lol.

I think Epenesa projects fine as a pass rusher. He's not going to be a sack master, but he could be a 6-10 sack/year power rusher in the mold of Trey Flowers.

My main issue is that where he would play in the Packers defense most of the time is already too crowded with good options to spend a high pick on him.

H

HardRightEdge

Van Jefferson: Jones fracture discovered in Combine medical exam followed by surgery by Dr. Andrews.