Pick #142 Royce Newman

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excellent RAS...arms are shorter than I like for Tackle and liked a few others more but solidifying that OL

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gave up only 2 sacks last year against some solid competition being at Ole Miss.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Short arms and questions about strength....meh. He's not gonna be immediately ready to play I imagine unless he's already been working on his strength.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Short arms and questions about strength....meh. He's not gonna be immediately ready to play I imagine unless he's already been working on his strength.

Only thing I don't like is I see him as a guard. Perhaps Jenkins is sliding outside...

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the pick, but this pick is a slap in the face to David Bahktiari. No frickin respect.

Do I need to keep doing this? Are the AR apologists going to see the stupidity of this thinking?

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drafted for need which I love. Swiss army knife type guy again. Thing is we need a road grader opposite Jenkins, and that would've been Trey Smith. Don't hate this pick but can't give it more than a B-.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the pick, but this pick is a slap in the face to David Bahktiari. No frickin respect.

Do I need to keep doing this? Are the AR apologists going to see the stupidity of this thinking?

Can you explain your logic? Bakhtiari is a LT, this kid projects to RT.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drafttek had this guy outside their top 300. We'll see. Really wanted more defensive front 7 help with this pick. Definitely players I wanted more or thought we should at least take a chance on.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I did a search on our Forum for Royce, besides this thread, I found this below, I don't think Morango entered the Amish draft contest, but cudos to him on the post....and notice Amari Rodgers on his list too

I haven’t posted for a long time but this game sound interesting so I’ll play. I like the ones above from Gleeful’s list. Plus the ones below. Tending towards mid-to-late first through the fifth round I think, in no particular order except position.

OL - Alijah Vera-Tucker
OL - Rashawn Slater
OL - Royce Newman
RB - Javian Hawkins
RB - Khalil Herbert
WR - Amari Rodgers
WR - Dyami Brown
DT - Alim McNeil
DE - Dayo Odeyingbo
ILB - Nick Bolton
CB - Paulson Adebo
S - Trevon Moehrig

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers tend to know what they're doing with OL so if he turns out alright then I guess that's what matters.

The sexiest pick to me so far has been Myers, so this just seems to be the theme of this Draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers tend to know what they're doing with OL so if he turns out alright then I guess that's what matters.

The sexiest pick to me so far has been Myers, so this just seems to be the theme of this Draft.

Honestly, I am just excited that they appear to be filling needs. Of course, these are my perceived needs, but none the less, it feels more productive than last years QB, RB and TE to open up the draft.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For a team that doesn't value their QB supposedly....3 picks of first 4 centered solely on protecting or providing a weapon...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
His arms are long relative to this draft class. 33.75” is adequate.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Seems like the plan is to have Bakh at LT and then a whole bunch of position versatile, quality blockers and the whole thing can shake out from there.

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, I posted this on the Packers subreddit but wanted to put this in here too.

So, I just did some quick research about the Ol and the versatility.

Starting OL , when DB is healthy, likely looks like this:

DB-Jenkins-Myers-Patrick-Turner

with the backups

Nyjman-Runyan-Hanson-Stepaniak-Newman

That alone is pretty solid to me. But the interesting thing is the possibilities they have due to their versatility.

They have

- 3 players with expereince at RT

- 6 players with experience at RG

- 5 players with experience at C

- 6 players with experience at LG

- 3 players with experience at LT.

10 guys with ultimate versatility, DB as the exception as he is the best LT in the league. That is a pretty impressive feature and I love it. On paper, rotation gonna be not that big of a problem, especially with the amazing coaching at OL. They also have guys like Zack Johnson(RT) and Ben Braden(G) who could end up at the PS.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The more Gutekunst drafts, the more it seems to me that he definitely values high end athleticism in line with his mentors, but he's more willing to bend the thresholds for the sake of good football players.

This makes him less predictable, but it's a good thing.

I wonder if it's in part due to Milt Hendrickson's presence. He spent 14 years in Baltimore. The Ravens are one of the premier drafting teams in the league, and they don't tend to rely much on size/athleticism thresholds (to my knowledge).

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

The only stupidity is pretending other positions are the same as quarterback.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody said that..

I do believe players at positions other than QBs should be respected. Bahk is one of the best LTs in the NFL. And here Gute disrespect him by making him the highest paid OT and drafting a guy who plays at his position.

The struggle is real.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

You are right, QB is probably the hardest position to find a top 5 talent. Some teams spend years and years chasing it, dumping tons of picks and free agent signings into it.

All that said, why are people thinking that the search for our next QB stopped with Love and/or had a time stamp with it? Do you think if Rodgers keeps playing (for the Packers) at an MVP level they Packers are going to say "nahhhhh....we used a late first round pick on Love, see ya!".

Love was a fricking insurance policy at THE most expensive and important position in the NFL on an aging QB that had started to show some signs of old age (for a QB).

Do you buy any kind of insurance fully expecting to use it? No, just like Aaron Rodgers in 2005, you get it, just in case you need it.