PFF Grades - Best and Worsts from Bengals Week 5

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know I've shared, attempted to each week but probably failed, the best and worsts before. For a full length discussion and descriptions Packerswire does a good job over at: https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/packers-pff-grades-best-worst-players-from-week-5-at-bengals/

Offensively

As for the offense when we have both RBs, Davante and Rodgers being four of our best 5 - I'm going to say good things will occur.

1. WR Davante Adams, 93.0
2. TE Marcedes Lewis, 89.4
3. QB Aaron Rodgers, 79.5
4. RB A.J. Dillon, 72.2
5. RB Aaron Jones, 70.8

The offensive unit's worst weren't surprising for me as I finally watched the game (unable to watch live).

1. TE Robert Tonyan, 60.4
2. RT Billy Turner, 59.2
3. C Lucas Patrick, 50.6
4. WR Allen Lazard, 48.7
5. WR Equanimeous St. Brown, 43.5

Lazard is the surprise one, solely because his blocking was not up to the norm we've come to expect from him. You cannot be perfect all season, so this to me is an anomaly IMO. Patrick especially, but Newman also struggled to get any kind of push in the run game.

Defensively

1. DL Kenny Clark, 80.3
2. LB De’Vondre Campbell, 79.3
3. CB Kevin King, 76.2
4. OLB Rashan Gary, 71.0
5. OLB Jonathan Garvin, 69.7

I know grade wise it may not work out to be, but this was IMO one of King's best games while a Packer - primarily due to circumstances of how much we needed him to step up due to Jaire being out. Clark and Keke (shocked he wasn't higher than 70 grade wise personally) were disruptive above normal IMO. Solid to see Garvin doing quite well in an expanded role - he pressured 3 times out of the 8 pass rushing snaps he saw.

Worst:
1. CB Isaac Yiadom, 51.3
2. OLB LaDarius Hamilton, 44.3
3. DL TJ Slaton, 39.8
4. S Darnell Savage, 37.9
5. DL Tyler Lancaster, 30.1

Slaton really got pushed around in the snaps he was out there, but is a great example of fan base's ignorance in discussing as they see his shared sack as a redeeming act for the day. Yiadom, I was a mildly surprised to see as one of bottom 5, I knew he had struggles but there were times he looked like he belonged (guess the 51.3 makes sense). Savage nearly made up for a critical mistake on the long touchdown before the half, but sadly did not.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I’m going to throw honorable mention out there regarding blocking. When (if) you get a chance, take a few minutes and replay that Aaron Jones 60yard scramble.
Randall Cobb’s acute awareness and effort on that play was remarkable. I know those are often things that don’t make stat sheets. That guy is still really fast. Who was that Nijman? I thought he was going to pass their Safety. That man is quick for 6’7 315lb! I swear!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m going to throw honorable mention out there regarding blocking. When (if) you get a chance, take a few minutes and replay that Aaron Jones 53 yard scramble.
Randall Cobb’s acute awareness and effort on that play was remarkable. I know those are often things that don’t make stat sheets. That guy is still really fast.

Oh my word yes! He nearly made that a TD even at the last second as well. Easily that play extended what 20-25 yards because of him.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also notice how much burst and acceleration Cobb still has on that play, it truly was incredible how much ground he made up to position for that final block.

Reaction score
Agreed. I actually posted about it in the famous SHOUTBOX when it happened.
Sorry I missed that. I was watching the highlights and it just stood out as a high effort play. You get an A+ on your homework Linus. I mean Schultz. :tup:

All noticed that Nijman hustled there and actually pushed the defender forward into Jones. I thought they were going to toss a flag for blocking in the back but he actually helped Defense by accident, so I guess they left it alone. :roflmao:

I wonder if Nijman could play RB on goal line scenarios. He’s got a pretty quick get up and go.

Last edited:

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
1. TE Robert Tonyan, 60.4
2. RT Billy Turner, 59.2
3. C Lucas Patrick, 50.6
These surprise me. I thought the OL held up pretty well. I did see Tonyan get his butt whooped on one play though.
1. CB Isaac Yiadom, 51.3
2. OLB LaDarius Hamilton, 44.3
3. DL TJ Slaton, 39.8
4. S Darnell Savage, 37.9
5. DL Tyler Lancaster, 30.1
I have to admit, I have not heard of Hamilton. I saw him in on a play and he actually beat the RT and pressured the QB. I thought, "who is Hamilton". I'm a little miffed at myself because I know the roster pretty well.

Next, I'm not surprised by Lancaster's score. I'm so over that guy.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These surprise me. I thought the OL held up pretty well. I did see Tonyan get his butt whooped on one play though.

I have to admit, I have not heard of Hamilton. I saw him in on a play and he actually beat the RT and pressured the QB. I thought, "who is Hamilton". I'm a little miffed at myself because I know the roster pretty well.

Too many just think pressure when discussing how a OL did. Patrick and Turner both sucked at run blocking, Newman wasn't much better. We consistently were getting pushed around ******* first downs, I don't recall a single first down run that we "won" in the trenches - Jones may have made one work but dear lord the run blocking early in downs was abysmal.

LaDarius was added to our roster mid September, I believe same day Za'Darius was put on IR.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no clue what word I attempted to use before first down that got ******-out but FTR it was not a swear word.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Things that I also noted from that play. Adams stopped on the far side yet his player almost made the tackle. He should learn from Cobb.

On the left side, both Lewis and Lazard blocked perfectly. What Lazard did was fantastic for a WR. He actually engaged the defender head-on but in the blink of an eye, slid right and put himself between the defender and Jones to continue the block. Had he kept blocking ahead, the defender would have attempted to disengage and Lazard would have either needed to stop blocking or likely be called for a holding penalty. Instead, he slid around and used his entire body to block.

Lazard is turning into the next Hines Ward. Every game I find multiple blocks that he executes perfectly. In general, I think that our WRs deserve a ton of credit for our running game success.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Things that I also noted from that play. Adams stopped on the far side yet his player almost made the tackle. He should learn from Cobb.

On the left side, both Lewis and Lazard put themselves in between the defender and the ball carrier. What Lazard did was fantastic for a WR. He actually engaged the defender head-on but in the blink of an eye, slid right and put himself between the defender and Jones to continue the block. Had he kept blocking ahead, the defender would have attempted to disengage and Lazard would have either needed to stop or likely be called for a holding penalty. Instead, he slid around and used his entire body to block.

Lazard is turning into the next Hines Ward. Every game I find multiple blocks that he executes perfectly. In general, I think that our WRs deserve a ton of credit for our running game success.

Lazard is easily our best blocking WR, not always the smartest (Cobb when he wants to is that) but easily the best. Lazard is honestly built almost like a flexed out TE and it shows in his blocking.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It should make him even more effective as a WR, if LBs and CBs try to avoid his blocks thereby turning him loose to catch 2-4 balls per game.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It should make him even more effective as a WR, if LBs and CBs try to avoid his blocks thereby turning him loose to catch 2-4 balls per game.

Oh Lazard has been incredibly open on some balls this year, plays just aren't designed for him to be first or second option is all I can imagine. It doesn't help Lazard's stats when the typically number #1 option (Adams) seems to get open against three guys covering him at times LOL

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is my deep conspiracy theory, that I doubt....

It's almost as if Rodgers is trying to pump up Adams so that the Packers have no choice but to let him go (with Rodgers) in Free Agency at the end of the season. Better stats make it even harder for the Packers to re-sign him to play with Jordan Love. That's his way of sticking it to Gute.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is my deep conspiracy theory, that I doubt....

It's almost as if Rodgers is trying to pump up Adams so that the Packers have no choice but to let him go (with Rodgers) in Free Agency at the end of the season. Better stats make it even harder for the Packers to re-sign him to play with Jordan Love. That's his way of sticking it to Gute.

Honestly, if Rodgers already internally has decided he is going elsewhere, I think both the organization and Adams will realize their futures don't coincide with one another. Will be massively sad watching both walk, but that is the bet I would place now, and would have before the season even.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m going to throw honorable mention out there regarding blocking. When (if) you get a chance, take a few minutes and replay that Aaron Jones 60yard scramble.
Randall Cobb’s acute awareness and effort on that play was remarkable. I know those are often things that don’t make stat sheets. That guy is still really fast. Who was that Nijman? I thought he was going to pass their Safety. That man is quick for 6’7 315lb! I swear!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
That lineman moving that fast is what I found remarkable. I didn't notice it live...

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too many just think pressure when discussing how a OL did. Patrick and Turner both sucked at run blocking, Newman wasn't much better. We consistently were getting pushed around ******* first downs, I don't recall a single first down run that we "won" in the trenches - Jones may have made one work but dear lord the run blocking early in downs was abysmal.

LaDarius was added to our roster mid September, I believe same day Za'Darius was put on IR.
Yeah. We tried a lot of up the gut runs which surprised me cause they were not working. Other games we were getting some holes. So I'm thinking it's on Patrick. For me, the center is pivotal and I am glad we drafted one early that looks like he will be good. The center works up the middle and on both sides in tandem with the guards. I think it is mostly on Patrick although could be that Myers is good enough to make the others look better. imho

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers was pressured on 12 of 41 (29.3%) dropbacks, which isn't a decent number for the offensive line. The unit improved over the course of the game though.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Rodgers was pressured on 12 of 41 (29.3%) dropbacks, which isn't a decent number for the offensive line. The unit improved over the course of the game though.
Well, Jenkins was a limited participant in practice yesterday and Myers was a full go. That should help us out a lot and especially against the Bears defense.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, Jenkins was a limited participant in practice yesterday and Myers was a full go. That should help us out a lot and especially against the Bears defense.

Agreed, there's no doubt that Bakhtiari, Jenkins and Myers returning at some point will hugely benefit the offense.

Members online

Latest posts