Peyton Manning Cleared

AaronShockley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was wondering your thoughts on what the Colts should do.
The obvious is, release him, draft Luck, build from there. Think of it a different way though, and tell me you wouldn't have some doubts.

First I wanna say, nobody (likely) will ever be Peyton Manning. Good, but never as great as Brady and Manning. That being said...

He has been medically cleared by two doctors, one saying he could "play this Sunday" if he needed. So here's what the Colts should, but likely won't do.

Trade out of the first pick, get 3 firsts, 3 seconds, maybe a third or two or and a conditional pick in the next two drafts depending on performance of Andrew Luck.

Easy considering what Raiders gave for Palmer.

Keep Manning, draft his successor in the next years draft, or the draft after that with one of the picks you receive for the Andrew Luck pick.

You build the Colts back up, while never really having that Rookie or Sophomore slump that happens with the great QB's, even Peyton had it. You get a QB groomed in the image of Peyton Manning over a two-three year period, and get the Aaron Rodgers experience in the last year of the rookie contract. Give him the opportunity to earn the job in his last contract year, or resign him and play him regardless.

This is really the best long term for the Colts, no pick is guaranteed not even Andrew Luck. Although it may seem pretty safe, so did Ryan Leaf. Doing it this way the Colts don't risk their future on one pick, but can be optimistic with a total of 6 first round picks and 6 second round picks in a matter of 3 years.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
As a Colts fan I am scared. I am also upset this Peyton news keeps coming out BEFORE the big game. It is not fair to Eli and Tom who deserve the spotlight.

I am a huge Luck fan.

I also see this team REBUIDLING. It is terrible. New staff, new gm. The works. You go with the young gun at QB IMO.

You go with Manning and Colts fans will just get more heart broken possibly. First of all being cleared to play does not shock me. He was cleared to practice for months. We still don't know how strong his arm is or how his performance is.

Second, many Colts fans are delusional and think that if you put Peyton back in then this is a contender.

Third, the Texans with Schaub are probably a top 5 team in every category across the board. With Manning the Colts have a great shot at not even making the postseason.

I am fully on board with the rebuild train. I really am.

I am going to be upset if they turn down Luck and the whole organization goes into "feed Manning's ego" again.

I want A TEAM BACK.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
read this

Peyton now has become a politician, and this is now a chess match. No need to throw this out there today...or this week...sounds like nothing much has changed. the velocity is not there apparently. But, being "cleared to play" puts Irsay in "check", as Irsay has claimed this is about Manning's health more than the 28 Million.
Ugh

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I think it's really sad Peyton is stealing all the spot light of the Super Bowl...

I felt like the media was drooling and pissing their pants when the Giants beat the Niners, cause all month I got the impression they were just dying for a New England/New York rematch, cause what would be better than that? No one likes the Ravens or their dirty players, no one likes the 49ers or Alex Smith, who wouldn't want to see the Giants and Patriots!? That's more of how I felt watching the refs too and their biased towards New England, calling back 2 interceptions Brady threw, that ultimately changed the route of that game for the Ravens defense.

Last Super Bowl rematch I lived through was Buffalo and Dallas, and nope I didn't bother watching that one. I just remembered how terribly bad the first game was when Dallas ran the score up to 52 points (and no I am not complaining) and I just knew it would happen again. Even though the 2007 Super Bowl was close, don't mean I'm very interested in this.

Mississippi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the way Peyton's been treated, I kind of wish he'd ask to be released so he can go elsewhere on his own terms, instead of trying to find a way to fit back in with the Colts. The organization isn't showing much gratitude these days.

OP
OP
AaronShockley

AaronShockley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the way Peyton's been treated, I kind of wish he'd ask to be released so he can go elsewhere on his own terms, instead of trying to find a way to fit back in with the Colts. The organization isn't showing much gratitude these days.
Exactly. The Colts have been the biggest D-Bags in the world. But, I do wish the Peyton would stay.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score

After how he has been treated? He has been a demi God in Indy. He was paid 20 million last year to do nothing. Now the team has to decide to give him 28 million more and it's not even clear yet how high of a level he can play at. The Colts have spent a ton of first rounders on offense to help him out too.

Irsay is trying to fix the mess Polian created. Between poor drafts and mismanagement.

Showing gratitude to just one man 24 hours a day is exactly why this team has never been a true TEAM.

Listen. Peyton started much of this. Irsay fires a ton of people and Peyton publicly expressed he did not like a lot of it. Irsay snaps back "Hey be quiet politician." Peyton goes on ESPN on SB media day and has an interview where he basically says the sooner this is resolved the better. Irsay says back......well I kinda would like to wait until March and be patient. Now Peyton camp jumps out today and says "He is cleared!!! hooray have a parade."

Honestly, Irsay is running a freaking business here. He cannot think like a fan and with just emotion.

And this team right now is terrible. It has a ton of holes on it. Peyton alone just coming back (and rumor is he was having trouble recently throwing 50 yards) won't patch it all up. Spending money on Peyton AND Luck is going to be even worse IMO with as many holes as this team has.

All of this could have waited by Camp Peyton until AFTER the SB was over.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Exactly. The Colts have been the biggest D-Bags in the world. But, I do wish the Peyton would stay.

This is what Camp Peyton wants you to think and why Irsay called him a politician.

Peyton has not been treated badly at all.

OP
OP
AaronShockley

AaronShockley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't say Peyton hasn't, as Irsay said, been a politician during all this. But the rebuilding process can begin with Peyton mentoring someone other than Luck with the 3 first round, 3 second round, and more, picks they would get for it. That would make a better team in the long run. Point blank.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I didn't say Peyton hasn't, as Irsay said, been a politician during all this. But the rebuilding process can begin with Peyton mentoring someone other than Luck with the 3 first round, 3 second round, and more, picks they would get for it. That would make a better team in the long run. Point blank.

That is if you assume Peyton will want to mentor anyone.

Peyton is trying to get Irsay to release his choice sooner then he had hoped for.

I also don't get the logic of firing the entire staff and gm unless you are planning to rebuild from top to bottom.

I also find it interesting the team brought back Arians. He was with Peyton his first few years with the Colts and also helped improve Big Ben. Irsay might have brought him back to develop Luck.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
And I think Luck with the right coaching can develop into a good NFL QB. I would not expect an overnight miracle though with this team. And I would also hope that we won't have a Peyton forum out there like Favre does.

Watch this:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Another good post that shows why Irsay has a tough decision
You know, if we pick up his option, and he can't play, it will pretty much cripple this team for the next few years right? That's the issue. I would think that people who want to make the "All he's done for the team" argument wouldn't want his last action as a Colt to be condemning us to salary cap heck.

I'm not saying you have to release him, only that you have to be darn sure he's going to play if you pick up that option. The alternative can not happen regardless of how much Manning has done for this franchise and city.

Irsay has to be 100% sure Peyton will recover to play at a strong enough level suitable for the money he would have to give him.

This is very tough for Irsay as well. He has to make a business decision here not just an emotional one.

Peyton being cleared to play is not shocking. What we don't know is how well he can play. How well he can take hits. How well he can throw and for how long. Can he do this for the next several years?

A lot plays into this for Irsay.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts