1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Peter king on free agency

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Mar 19, 2012.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    Today in Peter king's MMQB he touched on free agency:

Free agency: The idiotic part.

This is possibly the most over-covered week of anything we do in writing about the league, this first week of free agency. I knew it had gotten totally out of control on Saturday when Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News tweeted: "Amazingly, I'm sensing angst among some Giants fans again about Jerry Reese's lack of offseason action.''

Reese is the general manager of the New York Giants. He has had the job five years. He is notoriously slow off the draw in free agency, and he is not alone. In recent years, noted GMs and personnel czars like Ted Thompson (Green Bay), Mickey Loomis (New Orleans), Kevin Colbert (Pittsburgh) and Bill Polian (Indianapolis) have let the free agency field settle down before going after players of moderate cost. In the last six seasons, those franchise architects -- Reese, Thompson, Loomis, Colbert, Polian -- have won every Super Bowl. Not saying the patient way is the only way to team-build, but come on. Reese did nothing big in 2007 and 2011 and won the Super Bowl both times.

• Like Like x 3
  2. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,070
    I would like for TT to attend the Reese symposium on drafting defensive lineman.

The guy just does not miss in that department.

• Like Like x 3
  3. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    TT could teach the class on WRs.

• Like Like x 3
  4. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Yes he could but Reese hasn't been shabby in that department either so TT will have to trade him some other secrets.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,422
    Eagles should have shown everyone a bunch of big free agency signings means squat.

6. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,442
    That was an extreme situation. Overkill. Most teams have the sense not to do something like that. I consider TT a Jedi Master of the draft, he's in league with Belichick in those terms. While I do want the team to fix some problems in FA while we have the chance, I trust TT.

7. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    Pretty much. You don't win a title in March.

8. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,479
    http://www.packerforum.com/threads/...se-teams-buy-players.35424/page-3#post-438218

posted same thing lol

9. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
  10. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    Ahhh, the free agency period...the time for paper champions to be crowned by impatient fans and journalists

• Agree Agree x 1