Perry, Worthy, Daniels, Manning

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Realistically speaking we can't expect every pick by TT in the 2012 draft to stick and even start...but that's precisely why TT did what he did, he knew using that many picks if he could even get 3 guys who contribute for 4-5 years that's a success...and probably add to that one starter out of the bunch.

The odd thing is he could have hit gold with McMillian and Heyward both setting up to be starters/key players on the D side of things as early as this year and many would say Heyward was crucial last year even! I foresee both of this guys signing their second deals with GB...TT win.

Perry, ah the chosen one to bring lightened loads on our true "chosen one" Clay Mathews. Perry I wish would have been healthy all last year, but hey crap happens. I don't need Perry to be a beast and rack up 10 sacks, I want him to play the run very well and just be disruptive enough to make opposing teams respect his side...don't need a pro-bowler just a good solid starter...TT win/loss/eh up to Perry at this point.

Worthy...some have hit it on the head Daniels is proving more valuable than Worthy for sure...however as bad as I dislike guys like this I expect Worthy to be the type of guy only to play solid when pushed for a roster spot or when chasing a contract in a contract year....TT not what I would classify as an awesome pick but I see him being one of the contributors to our Defense success for a few years and then may be gone and if so big deal.

Daniels, love this guy. His motor and will to punish the defense is evident and to be honest overrides those who said he didn't have the proper footwork or size to get the job done at the next level. TT-win here for me, if not a starter in the future he's one of those guys your defense will feel the loss when gone if he leaves.

Manning-Was worth the pick when we got him, doesn't get sick his story could be different...TT smart but even smart picks can't be a win everytime, loss (I'd do this pick over again every time though!)

McMillian, I wish so badly we didn't need him playing safety (Collins oh how we miss you!)...but that said, this dude can play in my opinion. He may be seen by some as over-achieving but to me it almost feels like a guy hitting his stride...for TT's sake I hope that is the case because could be a huge win!

Heyward-BIG WIN...ENOUGH SAID (just stay healthy).

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand the thought behind people being alright with Perry simply being a solid complement to Matthews but Perry was still a first round draft pick. He darn well better approach 10 sacks while being solid against the run and pass (with matthews getting so much attention he has no excuse not to rack up sacks). I look at it this way, if Jones ends up just being good against the run then people will look at him as a wasted pick, he's supposed to add to our pass rush (I'm talking in a few years, I don't expect much from a rookie). Jones was the 26th pick and Perry was the 28th, they should be held to the same standards.

If Perry can get 8-10 sacks and be good in coverage then it was a good pick by Thompson. If, however, he continues to be a mediocre pass rusher then it's a failure. However, before anyone gets ticked at this, I certainly don't think Perry has hit his limit as a pass rusher. He's only played a few games, when i say continues to be mediocre I just mean if he doesn't improve. I think he will improve.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand the thought behind people being alright with Perry simply being a solid complement to Matthews but Perry was still a first round draft pick. He darn well better approach 10 sacks while being solid against the run and pass (with matthews getting so much attention he has no excuse not to rack up sacks). I look at it this way, if Jones ends up just being good against the run then people will look at him as a wasted pick, he's supposed to add to our pass rush (I'm talking in a few years, I don't expect much from a rookie). Jones was the 26th pick and Perry was the 28th, they should be held to the same standards.

If Perry can get 8-10 sacks and be good in coverage then it was a good pick by Thompson. If, however, he continues to be a mediocre pass rusher then it's a failure. However, before anyone gets ticked at this, I certainly don't think Perry has hit his limit as a pass rusher. He's only played a few games, when i say continues to be mediocre I just mean if he doesn't improve. I think he will improve.

I guess my only thing I disagree with in all you said is the "continue to be mediocre in pass rushing". I feel it is far too early to tell what he'll be...he could prove me wrong and be a sack machine racking up 10+ or he could be a very solid starter for us that ends up only with 4. He stays healthy all year I think we'll all know more so what Perry means for Clay and the D in general.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess my only thing I disagree with in all you said is the "continue to be mediocre in pass rushing". I feel it is far too early to tell what he'll be...he could prove me wrong and be a sack machine racking up 10+ or he could be a very solid starter for us that ends up only with 4. He stays healthy all year I think we'll all know more so what Perry means for Clay and the D in general.

That's why I said I don't think he's done developing. From what he's shown, he mediocre. However, he's very young and should improve from that. Football Outsiders tabbed him as the best pass rusher from his draft class.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I understand the thought behind people being alright with Perry simply being a solid complement to Matthews but Perry was still a first round draft pick. He darn well better approach 10 sacks while being solid against the run and pass (with matthews getting so much attention he has no excuse not to rack up sacks).

You do remember that Perry in coverage was the #1 thing we worried about right? I'd settle for solid in coverage, but I would expect 12 sacks if he hadn't broken a wrist. He had nothing besides his bull rush coming out, and with a broken wrist I doubt he has developed anything in the way of hand tech. He's still the same raw athlete, so I doubt we can any more Than the guy we saw last year. So far, that's exactly what we've seen, watered down because of the cast.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts