Perry, Worthy, Daniels, Manning

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These 4 guys were taken in the first 5 rounds for us last draft.

OLB Nick Perry
DL Jerel Worthy
DL Mike Daniels
ILB Terrell Manning

I liked Perry, but he hurt his wrist in the opener, which cost him IR in week 6.
He helped a bit initially but wasn't an impact rookie a la Matthews in 2009.

Worthy didn't do a thing.
Daniels added more than Worthy did, but that wasn't much either other than rotations.

Manning had a health issue and added nothing to the defense even though our ILB's suck with no Bishop.
He was solid on special teams.

Of course, CB Casey Heyward was a super nickelback, gotten in round 3.

Will these guys make the team better in 2013?
I'm really really disappointed in Worthy. I expected a lot more.... and he gave us almost nothing.
Then he went and tore his ACL week 17.

I do believe in Perry though, but the guy has to stay durable.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Out of your list, I think that Perry will be the biggest impact player if he stays healthy and then Danials will contribute better as well. As far as the other, NO.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hayward was the gem in the draft. Until I see otherwise Perry in my opinion is an undersized DE. I don't think he is a 3-4 backer. Worthy's quick first step in college isn't enough in the pros. Daniels is also undersized and a backup.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not particularly worried about Worthy and Daniels. The jump to the pros is particularly ******* the defensive line because of how good everyone is. More so than other positions, other than maybe QB, defensive linemen need 2-3 years to adjust to the Pro game. Worthy probably got by a lot in college on pure ability, so he'll need to get better.

Daniels appeared better because coming from Iowa, he had some hard-assed coaches. He is more physically limited that Worthy, but more polished for his rookie year.

Manning--no idea. Maybe he's good enough to play Hawk less, maybe he's just a career backup. Who knows?

I expect everyone, expect Worthy due to the ACL, to make a jump next year. Just being in the Pro weight room with Pro trainers for an entire offseason will help.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only guy of the group to really write home about was Heyward last year obviously. But of the other 3 I only really expected Perry to impact the team. The other two did not come into the league NFL ready (as do 95% of post round 1 draft picks). I'm still ready to see more from both of them. Hopefully Worthy doesn't loose this whole year with his knee. But I would be surprised if either of them ever become more than rotational guys. Biggest point is only time will tell come back to this post in March of 2014 or 15 and then we can talk.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of those guys should excel this year. Not one seems more obvious than the other though

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
until they realize Perry needs to gain about 10 more pounds and move to DE he will not be an impact player in this 3-4. The other guy's are career backups imo. TT does not draft that well when it comes to defense imo.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I said during the draft that Worthy was Neal 2.0. Then Neal became what we expected Worthy to be. Worthy is still the new Neal, he has 3 more years to prove himself. Daniels may turn into a solid rotation guy, Perry will be a two down LB for at least another year, Manning has potential to be that coverage ILB I've longed for, but I was still against picking him. We shall see...

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I prefer to wait until after Year 2 to pass judgement one way or the other. They all show promise, although I'd agree that I would've liked to see more out of Worthy.

Reaction score
The biggest jump for a rookie player is from year 1 to year 2, so we will see how they progress. I also am not sure why Jerron McMillian isn't on this list He was drafted in the 4th round and he could possibly be our sarting safety next year if we don't draft anyone or pick up anyone. So far what i've seen I can only tell what 2 player's futures are. Hayward is our slot cornerwhich is very important in today's game and Mike Daniels will be a very good back up D-Linemen and a situational pass rusher only because of his physical limitations. He is our Rudy.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I prefer to wait until after Year 2 to pass judgement one way or the other. They all show promise, although I'd agree that I would've liked to see more out of Worthy.

I go three years to see if a player will fully realize their potential. I don't expect much at all from rookies their first year, regardless of what round they were drafted in. Year two I'd like to see some improvement, but though I don't expect them to be at the top of their game yet. Year three is where I really expect things to kick in.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Why I said Worthy has 3 years and why I gave Perry another year for coverage. I don't count the first injured year.

McMillian is definitely an underneath (borderline box) safety. He needs some serious improvement in his deep game before I'm comfortable handing him the reigns. The farther he gets from the LOS the less you like him.

H

HardRightEdge

I gave this draft a B- at the time. That was a bit too generous. Heyward saved it from "hot mess" status. There isn't a 3 down player in the lot.

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a feeling Manning is going to have a great year next year since he will be healthy. But i am biased because i am an NC State fan.

H

HardRightEdge

I have a feeling Manning is going to have a great year next year since he will be healthy. But i am biased because i am an NC State fan.

It says something when the player you single out is the guy who didn't play.

We run through a dozen guys a year that have star potential in the eyes of the fans...until they actually take the field. I'm not saying Manning is a dud; I'm saying he's a 5th. round pick who has not played.

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It says something when the player you single out is the guy who didn't play.

We run through a dozen guys a year that have star potential in the eyes of the fans...until they actually take the field. I'm not saying Manning is a dud; I'm saying he's a 5th. round pick who has not played.
Idk man it's just my opinion, you can take it or leave it. I'm just excited about the guy taking the field when he's actually healthy and has a full training camp.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think its funny the OP leaves out the obvious success of that draft. Hayward wasn't an afterthought - he was a second rounder Thompson traded up to grab. And he had a fantastic season.

At this early date (for evaluating a draft) the worst pick IMO is Worthy. Thompson traded up for him too and 20/20 hindsight tells me he would have been better off staying put at #59. Worthy's best attribute was supposed to be his first step quickness and he even dropped some weight to increase it but Daniels was a better pass rush DL. And Worthy wasn't strong enough to be the long-term starter at DE in the base. Now with the injury he'll likely sit out this season and will he ever recover enough and be motivated enough to be a contributor?

IMO Perry was coming on as he became more and more familiar with his responsibilities at the position. The best thing about him is he has all the physical attributes needed. He just has to want it - and if he's as motivated as Clay or Daniels he has a chance to be great. From what I've read he should be fully recovered and ready to go this year so I don't expect them to spend an early pick at OLB.

Daniels has plenty of "want to" - he finished second on the DL in pressures per snap and third in tackles per snap. He's not big enough to start at DE in the base but I can see him succeeding as one of the DL in the nickel and dime for years to come. If that turns out to be true that'll be another very good pick by Thompson.

I'm excited to see how Manning does. Nothing is guaranteed of course but he really didn't have a chance in TC last season. It's a position of need and if he's healthy, there'll be no excuses for him.

As I said it's too early to evaluate last year's draft but IMO it still has a chance to be a very good one. IMO it's realistic to believe all but Worthy can justify their draft status.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its funny the OP leaves out the obvious success of that draft. Hayward wasn't an afterthought - he was a second rounder Thompson traded up to grab. And he had a fantastic season.

At this early date (for evaluating a draft) the worst pick IMO is Worthy. Thompson traded up for him too and 20/20 hindsight tells me he would have been better off staying put at #59. Worthy's best attribute was supposed to be his first step quickness and he even dropped some weight to increase it but Daniels was a better pass rush DL. And Worthy wasn't strong enough to be the long-term starter at DE in the base. Now with the injury he'll likely sit out this season and will he ever recover enough and be motivated enough to be a contributor?

IMO Perry was coming on as he became more and more familiar with his responsibilities at the position. The best thing about him is he has all the physical attributes needed. He just has to want it - and if he's as motivated as Clay or Daniels he has a chance to be great. From what I've read he should be fully recovered and ready to go this year so I don't expect them to spend an early pick at OLB.

Daniels has plenty of "want to" - he finished second on the DL in pressures per snap and third in tackles per snap. He's not big enough to start at DE in the base but I can see him succeeding as one of the DL in the nickel and dime for years to come. If that turns out to be true that'll be another very good pick by Thompson.

I'm excited to see how Manning does. Nothing is guaranteed of course but he really didn't have a chance in TC last season. It's a position of need and if he's healthy, there'll be no excuses for him.

As I said it's too early to evaluate last year's draft but IMO it still has a chance to be a very good one. IMO it's realistic to believe all but Worthy can justify their draft status.
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I believe Ted traded up to get Chandler Jones if I can remember right, and the Patriots snatched him before we could. He's went on to have some success in the NFL. Worthy, on the other hand has not.

I agree on Daniels. I believe Daniels has pass rush potential to make up for the possible mistake of taking Worthy in the second. Or I could be judging Worthy too quickly.

Reaction score
All I know about the 2012 draft class is that our d went from 32nd to 11th.
Daniels and Worthy weren't all pros their rookie seasons, but them rotating in the lineup helped Raji and Pickett look a lot less worn out late in the year.

Went from 27 (or 29?) sacks to something like 45 or 48 'ish sacks in 2012.
I think another off season along with some pickups (Datone/Jolly/Mulumba/Micah) will see our D ...play better or whatever, idk - we'll probably drop another 600 yards to the 49ers and I'll look like a Dom Capers fanboy fool...again.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I remember when someone was talking about Perry being Orakpo 2.0. I remember talking about Worthy being boom or bust and there being entirely too much bust for my liking. I remember saying both were raw. I remember how Daniels didn't have the size, the physical skills to play in the NFL, Hayward was talked about the same way.

Reason #7 I prefer players who can play as opposed to raw athletes unless you have time to develop them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts