Passing game in NFL reaching new levels?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the reasons I don't worry too much about the defense when we give up 300 yards through the air is that this is starting to become the norm around the NFL, not a passing benchmark.

300 yard passers in Week 2 -

Rodgers 480, Bradford 352, Ryan 374, Tannehill 319, Luck 321, Rivers 419, Vick 428, Brees 322, P Manning 307, E Manning 362. That's 10 out of 28 starters, with 4 still to play.

This is after 10 in Week 1. Even the ones with less than 300 are often close in the 250-299 range.

Rodgers and Manning are on astounding paces to shatter the yardage and TD single season records. While these paces aren't likely to hold up, I would still not at all be surprised to see one or both records fall this year.

I am actually shocked that in this era, Norm Van Brocklin's single game record of 554 yards passing has held up for 62 years. I would think it's just a matter of time til it falls, but so far it keeps holding up.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the NFL continues to alter the rules of the game, there will be no such thing as Defense. It will also be their downfall IMHO.

12theTruth

If the NFL continues to alter the rules of the game, there will be no such thing as Defense. It will also be their downfall IMHO.

Defense will still exist. It's just that they extremely neutered from what they should be in large part. People come to see the Aaron Rodgers of the world and NFL franchises have invested far too many millions of dollars into their stars to have a cut block, etc hurt their product.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Offense sells. as vic ketchman says, "basketball on grass!" is the future.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you'll see a couple revolutions in the future.

One, I think you'll see much more aggression on 4th and short and even 4th down in general. I think teams will reach the point where settling for 3 may hurt them more than help them. We've already started to see this, to some extent. It used to be pretty automatic that 4th and 2 or less before you reached the 35 was punting territory, no questions asked. That's not really the case anymore.

I also think you'll start to see defensive focus have a strong emphasis on red zone defense and forcing turnovers. I already see the Packers as a bend-but-don't-break design defense who tend to allow a team to drive down the field and often have more success in the red zone.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers 480, Bradford 352, Ryan 374, Tannehill 319, Luck 321, Rivers 419, Vick 428, Brees 322, P Manning 307, E Manning 362. That's 10 out of 28 starters, with 4 still to play.

Colon Crappernick won't be one of them. He doesn't even have 100 yards yet and it's the 4th quarter. Oh, and the road to the SB goes through Seattle, not SF.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the rules helping the offence too much, to me, the more important stat to look at is YAC. If you can't contain a receiver and tackle him right away, then yeah passing yards will skyrocket. This is where coverage and tackling is so important (not that it never was).

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Colon Crappernick won't be one of them. He doesn't even have 100 yards yet and it's the 4th quarter. Oh, and the road to the SB goes through Seattle, not SF.
See if you still say that after home field is reversed. Pray that you're wrong, some REALLY bad Seattle teams have won in that building. Nobody beats Seattle @ home.

Latest posts