Matt Flynn steals the show in win over Lions

Travis Duncan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Sunday's game was a proving grounds for Matt Flynn's impending free-agency, the 26-year old backup QB aced it.

No doubt many teams were already interested in signing Flynn after the season, but now even more so will his name be mentioned as one of the top NFL free-agents this offseason.

Flynn finished with six touchdowns on 31 of 44 passes for 480 yards against a solid Detroit defense. He's the only quarterback not named Rodgers or Favre to start for the Packers in the last 20 years. According to Packers media relations, Flynn set franchise records for the most passing yards (480) and the most passing TDs in a game in franchise history.

"It was clearly one of the best performances I've been a part of," Mike McCarthy said after the 45-41 win.

"I can't say enough about Matt Flynn. The whole world saw what we see daily."

Flynn was gracious after the game, deferring praise to Aaron Rogers, who is a good friend.

"We've got the best QB in the NFL as a starter here," Flynn said after the game. "He's the heart and soul and leader of this team. Won't be hard to sit next game."

Flynn added, via the Associated Press, "Just think of all of the great quarterbacks that have come through here. It's very humbling. I just thank everybody around me and everything. I couldn't have done it, obviously, by myself. There's weapons all around me, and the line did a great job. It's one of those games where it got to a shootout, and we just kept having to match each other."

ESPN Stats and Information reports that the combined 971 net yards accumulated by the Packers and Lions (including sacks) were the most in NFL history.

Jordy Nelson had one of his best days as a Green Bay Packer, catching nine passes for 162 yards and 3 TDs.

Another record set Sunday was the most passing yards allowed by a defense in single season. That record is now 4,796 yards, set by this Packers defense on a 15-1 team.

With starters such as Clay Matthews and Charles Woodson inactive, Sunday's game inflated that stat. The Lions put up 575 total yards in the loss, 502 of which were through the air. But true to form, the Packers continued to force turnovers and that ultimately allowed them to win the game. The Packers forced four turnovers, two of which were Matthew Stafford interceptions in the second half. Stafford finished with 520 yards passing and five touchdowns.

The Lions have now lost 21 straight games in Green Bay, including the playoffs.

The Packers will play the lowest remaining seed in the NFC Divisional Round either Jan 14 or Jan 15 Green Bay. The Lions are in as a Wild Card making the playoffs for the first time since 1999.

The NFC playoff picture looks like this :

NFC
No. 6 Detroit Lions (10-6) at No. 3 New Orleans Saints (13-3)
No. 5 Atlanta Falcons (10-6) at Cowboys-Giants winner

No. 1 Green Bay Packers (home field-advantage) No. 2 San Francisco 49ers

Members online

Latest posts