Packers working on extension with Guion

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gilbert Brown was bigger and did pretty well in a 4-3. Marcell Dareus is a very good 4-3 DT for the Bills and he weighs 320. Kawann Short and Star Lotulelei are both 310+ and are very good for Carolina. Pretty sure Raji could cut 20lbs if he wanted to. Plus, the guy was known for his exceptional quickness at his size coming out of college so he might do well in a scheme that doesn't want him to take on blocks.
Gilbert also played with a completely torn bicep too, something Raji wouldn't do.

Reaction score
I think competition does wonders. Our company hired one person a year ago that started putting out phenomenal production. We have biweekly managers meetings for a group of sister stores where we reviewed his performance and openly challenged and focused on other stores. within 3-4 months every counterpart of his that attended those meetings improved 125-150%. An outside analyst said he would now put up our company as a whole against dozens of groups throughout the US as feel very proud to represent us.

Competition breeds competition
Fear of God gets put in us when someone comes along and outperforms our job
IF reasonable, I'd bring both back and let them battle it out for pole position

H

HardRightEdge

I think competition does wonders. Our company hired one person a year ago that started putting out phenomenal production. We have biweekly managers meetings for a group of sister stores where we reviewed his performance and openly challenged and focused on other stores. within 3-4 months every counterpart of his that attended those meetings improved 125-150%. An outside analyst said he would now put up our company as a whole against dozens of groups throughout the US as feel very proud to represent us.

Competition breeds competition
Fear of God gets put in us when someone comes along and outperforms our job
IF reasonable, I'd bring both back and let them battle it out for pole position
It's an interesting analogy, but in what way has Guion elevated the play of the D-Line personnel who have competed with him for snaps over these past 16 games? I'm not seeing it.

Pennel now is the same guy we saw in preseason. Boyd still can't cut it at NT. Guion gets snaps at 3-tech in nickel opposite Daniels that should belong exclusively to some combination of Datone Jones, Boyd and Neal. Those guys are playing just about as they played in the past; Guion's "competition" has not elevated their play.

Besides, when a guy signs a new long term deal (if that in fact happens with Guion), he's expected to start unless there's a fall off in performance (e.g., Hawk) or an injury opens the door for another guy (e.g., Tretter/Linsley).

It would take a dramatic development to displace an incumbent starter under a new contract, such as a high pick who plays lights out in preseason. But teams don't usually spend high picks at a position when they just signed a vet starter to that new deal.

"Competition" is for roster spots among the second tier guys and mid-to-low round rookies and rookie free agents, or among players where there is no established starter, or for a spot where the incumbent's play leaves something to be desired.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guion is a great core guy. GreenBay got him from MN after seeing his play for a few years. Guion was destructive in the middle, and stout against the run. I like the direction our D front is going. Guion is a part of that good direction.

I still think our D front needs a leader. Guion is not that guy. Daniels or Boyd isnt either... I want a Poe. A center piece, that makes everyone else a secondary thought.

Raji could be that guy if he had the fire. I think he was coming strong this year before the torn bicep. we may never know... ****** me off that he will probabally go somewhere else and dominate there.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raji could be that guy if he had the fire. I think he was coming strong this year before the torn bicep. we may never know... ****** me off that he will probabally go somewhere else and dominate there.

I very much doubt it. Maybe if he goes the way of Cletidus Hunt and joins the New York Dragons of the Arena Football League.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Raji might be a bit lazy, but I don't see him having the same personality make up that Hunt had. I generally think Raji is a good person with a bit of a motivation problem. I think Hunt had all sorts of character flaws, including, but not limited to, lack of motivation.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many people can claim that?
Well, if Gunion does well, maybe you can get a side of gunion rings with ur Gilbert burger.

I think more highly of Raji than the general sentiment here. He could have done better for sure, but at various points he has been a force. His ineffectiveness and laziness are overblown. I hope the Pack signs both of these guys. $3.5m per year each sounds about right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Hunt had character flaws that went well beyond any problems Raji has, who, despite having some motivational problems, isn't a bad guy.

I do not think Raji's ineffectiveness has been overblown, though. If anything, it's been understated, and hidden behind the idea that "he's just asked to take up space."

Raji graded out as the 44th out of 45 qualifying DE's last year. He graded out negatively in run defense in every game in the last half of the season. In his sole year as the NT in 2011, he graded out as the single worst NT against the run in the NFL.. He has had flashes of dominance, but in general, since 2010, he has been really, really bad. As I recall, he actually set an NFL record last year for the worst snaps per tackle of any defensive player in the history of the NFL. As far as the eye test goes, one needs only review any random snap from the second half to see that he no longer commands enough respect to demand double teams, as a single guard is easily enough to keep him contained.

I wouldn't touch Raji at $3.5M, particularly coming off a major injury. At this point in his career I wouldn't be willing to do anything other than a 1-2 year deal with a really low base and a great deal of incentives.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone here actually knows anything about Raji's work ethic? ..... Oye

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, he certainly doesn't seem to play with a motor like a mike Daniels

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone here actually knows anything about Raji's work ethic? ..... Oye

He actually already had a bit of a rep for laziness coming out of Boston College. Short of anyone here being his personal trainer, I don't think anyone really has any intimate knowledge on his work ethic, but like most other things we don't know about, we're left to speculate based on the evidence that we have.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't need to speculate about production since adambr2 nailed it. I like Raji and think that he still has something let to give, but it will be on another 1-yr veteran minimum contract. It's nonsense to think that Guion and Raji will elevate their competition against one another. They will both have minimal short-term deals that they need to individually parlay into bigger deals the following season. They are playing for straight cash *****. That's the only way it works for some guys. Others like Matthews or Driver will play with passion regardless of pay. Not our current NTs

Members online

Latest posts