Packers working on deal for Morgan Burnett

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like it. The dude's been solid but he certainly doesn't deserve rockstar money. This isn't the time to go out and give Bryant McKinney money to a kid who hasn't earned it yet, but he deserves the next level of compensation for sure...an incentive to reach rockstar level

H

HardRightEdge

Better Burnett than Raji.

So far it looks like Shields was asking too much for TT's taste. Besides, TT has a viable alternative in House. We cannot say the same about the safety position.

H

HardRightEdge

Avg approx 6 per year in a front loaded contract? Not a bad deal IMO.

You need to define "front loaded"...it has front loaded cash, but the cap hit may be back loaded. We'll need more details to get a clearer picture.

For 2013 he's getting his $1.3 mil salary from the last year of his old contract plus the new $8.3 million in signing bonus by most reports. That's $9.6 mil in cash in 2013.

But the prorated cap hit in 2013 for the singing bonus is only $1.66 mil. So Burnett's 2013 cap hit is only about $3 mil.

Reports also indicate he'll be paid $15 mil in the first 2 years. That would seem to imply his salary in 2014 will be $5.4 mil. That salary + $1.66 mil cap hit for prorated singing bonus = about a $7 mil cap hit is 2014.

The rest in unclear.

For what Burnett has produced so far, this deal is very generous in my opinion. It projects Burnett having more upside while assuming he'll work to that upside while having a sudden $10 mil in his pocket.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You need to define "front loaded"...it has front loaded cash, but the cap hit may be back loaded. We'll need more details to get a clearer picture.

For 2013 he's getting his $1.3 mil salary from the last year of his old contract plus the new $8.3 million in signing bonus by most reports. That's $9.6 mil in cash in 2013.

But the prorated cap hit in 2013 for the singing bonus is only $1.66 mil. So Burnett's 2013 cap hit is only about $3 mil in 2013.

Reports also indicate he'll be paid $15 mil in the first 2 years. That would seem to imply his salary in 2014 will be $5.4 mil. That salary + $1.66 mil cap hit for prorated singing bonus = about a $7 mil cap hit is 2014.

The rest in unclear.

For what Burnett has produced so far, this deal is very generous in my opinion. It projects Burnett having more upside while assuming he'll work to that upside while having a sudden $10 mil in his pocket.
I'm guessing Thompson had the same thing in mind here as the first Rodgers deal.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the resigning a lot. Burnett has been dependable so far in his career. Plus he's young and likes to fill up the stat box.

I'd like to see a deal with Raji or Shields prior to the season starting. Both are young core players who'd I like see with the team in the future.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts