Packers value, and system for draft

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overall I like what the Packers did, except for the top pick. The Jenkins and Sternberger picks I like a lot. Rashan Gary gives me visions of Nick Perry and Jerel Worthy and their so-called "high ceiling." I would have preferred Christian Wilkins but what do I know. As for trading up to get Savage, I guess we don't know what was happening behind the scenes. It's clear that the Packer org thought Savage was better than the other crop of safeties in the class. It would have been nice to keep those 2 4th rounders but again, if there are 4 guys from this draft class who can make an impact, that's good enough IMO.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Opinions are needed and can be great conversation..

But when posters are declaring they are right and Packers are wrong I'd like to understand their thinking why they feel that way.

I am annoyed at how some think they are much better

Im honestly not trying to have a pissing contest, but truly curious why these posters are right and the pros are wrong

Were the pros or the posters more correct in the 2015 draft eval?

Paddypacker12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a relative newbie to following the nfl but the draft is one of my favourite events in all the sports I follow and I love popping in here around draft time to read the views of those who take the time to do their homework on potential picks.

My limited take on the defensive focus on the Packers offseason is that when you have a future HoF quarterback in Rodgers your priorities should be to..
(1). keep him healthy

(2). Have a defense that at least keeps you in games going into the final quarter and is effective against the run. This should magnify the importance of the quaterbacks involved having the ability to put a game winning drive together in a pressurised situation and in that scenario you'd back Rodgers almost everytime.

With that in mind I think this has been a very productive offseason. One addition I would like to see is an experienced slot receiver with the potential to make some clutch plays but I'm not sure if the cap space would allow that.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is fair, I also tend to notice there's kind of a polarization here between those who love offensive football and those who love defensive slugfests.

Take last year for example, you had people like me who loved the Rams and Chiefs 54-51 shootout because of all the big plays and fireworks that went off in that game. And you had some who didn't like it and complained about there being too much offense. And then you had the polar opposite in the Superbowl with a pretty ugly one there. It was a little reminiscent of Superbowl V where a lot of experts thought Unitas and Morton were going to blow the scoreboard up in that game and it ended up being a major slop fest.

And one can't deny that some of our offensive juggernaut teams in the past like 2007 and 2011 were exciting to watch. I still consider that season opener against the Saints when Rodgers and Brees were shredding the defenses to be the best season opener on prime time to be the best I ever saw as a Packer fan. I don't think anyone can really fault the fans who have nostalgia for those days and want to see the team return to that kind of excitement.

On the flipside, I do think the defense will have to step it up and perhaps Gute will have gotten right what Thompson failed to in his defensive draft picks. If so, there will be good reason to be excited about things.

I don't think anyone here truly thinks they can run our front office, but I don't think there's anything wrong with them not warming up to all the picks until they see them on the field.

I certainly don't think I could have done Mike Sherman's job better than he did when he was here, but he obviously got a lot wrong as GM when he was here and got replaced because of it. Gute's held to the same standard so ... Let the chips fall where they may.

And Sherman never got another GM job in the NFL again.

D

Deleted member 6794

One addition I would like to see is an experienced slot receiver with the potential to make some clutch plays but I'm not sure if the cap space would allow that.

I agree the Packers could need a veteran slot receiver but unfortunately there aren't any decent options I can think of currently available the team could fit under the cap.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have never been so livid in my life concerning the Packers when they traded down to not pick tj watt and picked King instead. And frankly no one can argue that we are better off with King than we would have been with Watt,

That said I do agree with you that no one on this board is better at evaluating talent in the draft than the people in the front office.

Is that really true? How do you know no one in here is better at evaluating talent than the people in NFL front offices? They would have to be given the chance to draft players in order to find that out. NFL front offices despite their vast resources get the draft wrong consistently. What do we estimate? The best front offices get it right 50% of the time maybe? that's probably being generous. Anyways I'm quite confident there's people on here that could do a better job if given the opportunity they just will not be given that opportunity because it would be too out of the box for most people's thought process.

In the end as you said you were clearly right about watt as i think a lot of people were. To me it wasn't hard to see that guy was gonna be all football and put in all the effort you could ever ask for combine that with good athletic measurables and I think watt was as sure a thing as you get in the draft while king was a clear gamble given his injury history.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 'best player on board' is a myth that happens only occasionally.

GB's values have mostly been 'versatile physically fit players' closer to positions we need.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a relative newbie to following the nfl but the draft is one of my favourite events in all the sports I follow and I love popping in here around draft time to read the views of those who take the time to do their homework on potential picks.

My limited take on the defensive focus on the Packers offseason is that when you have a future HoF quarterback in Rodgers your priorities should be to..
(1). keep him healthy

(2). Have a defense that at least keeps you in games going into the final quarter and is effective against the run. This should magnify the importance of the quaterbacks involved having the ability to put a game winning drive together in a pressurised situation and in that scenario you'd back Rodgers almost everytime.

With that in mind I think this has been a very productive offseason. One addition I would like to see is an experienced slot receiver with the potential to make some clutch plays but I'm not sure if the cap space would allow that.

Great 2nd post ***** I was thinking the exact same thing. Lets hope you don't fall off a cliff like a recent poster I gave early kudos to.;)

We all saw that without Rodgers at full health the offense was limited so that would seem to indicate a big need was to improve that side of it but when AR is healthy we will never be out of a close game. A defense that keeps games close will keep us in every game as long as Rodgers is healthy and if he isn't it probably won't matter until we get a backup QB that won't cost us games. IMO It wasn't the rest of the offense that was the biggest problem it was the play of the QB (And I attribute a lot of that to him not being healthy.) that's not saying we can't stand to get better at several offensive positions as that is almost always the case. just that I think improving our defense to maybe give our offense a few more opportunities via turnovers and some more 3 and outs and simply giving up fewer points will be at least a good as giving a healthy Aaron Rodgers more weapons. Protecting him is important though and even though I had a few other OL in mind from what people are saying I will like Elgton Jenkins.

BigCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is that really true? How do you know no one in here is better at evaluating talent than the people in NFL front offices? They would have to be given the chance to draft players in order to find that out. NFL front offices despite their vast resources get the draft wrong consistently. What do we estimate? The best front offices get it right 50% of the time maybe? that's probably being generous. Anyways I'm quite confident there's people on here that could do a better job if given the opportunity they just will not be given that opportunity because it would be too out of the box for most people's thought process.

In 2014, I was driving from Minneapolis to Milwaukee on draft night and listening to it on the radio. Bill Polian was one of the analysts for each team's pick. As each team walked their card up, he would predict who was being picked, and he was right on the money, in my estimate, 85% of the time. While I agree there may be "regular" people that can do this, I think it illustrates how much these guys actually know about player evaluation and how much the rest of us don't know. And the fact that his assessments line up so universally with 32 other GMs also shows just how difficult player evaluation is and how 50% right is like hitting fastballs in the National League for a living where 40% will get you in the Hal of Fame.