Packers trade up to #21.....S Darnell Savage

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else a little annoyed with the likes of Thompson,Adderley and Gardner Johnson still available and we traded up in the 1st to take a safety??
I would have liked to kept the 4th rounders, but I am not disappointed in the Pick at all. and the cost to move up 10 spots wasn't that much relatively speaking. People wanted to package all sorts of things up to move into the top thinking that was a good idea to get the guy they wanted. Well they Identified a guy that wanted and got him. I think Savage fits exactly what we needed back there and I don't think he would have made it past the pick after ours anyway. I don't think he would have been available later.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there a single player you like beside Parris Campbell and Ryan Grant?

Haven't people already done the math that in terms of draft values with giving up 114 and 118, it was actually a win for the Packers? So how was the capital given up enormous?

Wasn't it also rumored the Raiders, Ravens and Colts all were looking at him for their upcoming picks? So if they had their eyes on him at 30, rather than losing out on what seemed to be everyone for their 12th pick, they took a chance rather than sit back and be stunned. And like I mentioned above, haven't people already said we won it in terms of value?

Who was there still at 30 that you would have rather them picked? Because you don't name a bunch of people, you just criticize what they do and other people think. You protect yourself by never naming a NEED to have piece, just some supplementary NICE to have pieces. Like RYAN GRANT, playing the slot.

I've yet to see a positive post by you on this forum. Why do you come here? Stats don't matter to you. Numbers don't matter. Other people providing facts to you don't matter.

I doubt the Packers could ever do anything that would please this guy. He was probably one of those who hated it when Thompson picked Rodgers at #12 in 2005.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This draft class was about the oddest one I can remember, when it came to WR. Everyone values the position pretty high, yet there really wasn't a standout and very little seemed to separate the pretty large group. Not sure what point I am trying to make, but of the 13 selected in the first 3 rounds, many of them were mocked to go round 1 in the last few months and ended up dropping quite a bit. Will be interesting to see how history plays out with this group.
  1. Marquise Brown (25)
  2. N'Keal Harry (32)
  3. Deebo Samuel (36)
  4. AJ Brown (51)
  5. Mecole Hardman (56)
  6. JJ Arcega-Whiteside (57)
  7. Parris Campbell (59)
  8. Andy Isabella (62)
  9. D.K. Metcalf (64)
  10. Diontae Johnson (66)
  11. Jalen Hurd (67)
  12. Terry McLaurin (76)
  13. Miles Boykin (93)
I think the thing with WRs is that there are so many of them on the 2nd tier. There were no elite guys, and the value only started in late 1st. Metcalf was only liked by the media. You can put together some clips of great plays, but the vast majority of his plays he is not open.

Anyway, I think there are still 20 WRs out there similar to No. 10 on the list. I think teams are just waiting. Pack will still have a shot at a decent one in the 5th.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever it is you're selling we certainly don't need any more times hearing it.

Don't you ever get bored with yourself repeating the same thing over and over and over? Or do you just like the attention?

I think he likes the attention. If he is really this negative he must be a barrel of fun at parties.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not selling anything. I am calling out a front office that has FAILED MISERABLY to support possibly the best QB to ever play the game.

Honestly they should just trade him because they have proven they don't have a clue how to maximize his talent and get the most out of it.

Those are the FACTS.

So in your opinion improving our pedestrian defense won't support our elite QB going forward? I can't recall a time when a team with a below average defense win squat even with a great QB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So in your opinion improving our pedestrian defense won't support our elite QB going forward? I can't recall a time when a team with a below average defense win squat even with a great QB.
Extra possessions for the offense never helps...

H

HardRightEdge

Thompson rebounded his Draft Stock, but he still looked lost in games from time to time(Especially in the NC). Gute probably opted to avoid him due to similar issues with Clinton-Dix.

Adderley does not have the same tackling ability as Savage, so that may have played a part.

Gardner-Johnson doesn't have the same ball skills as Savage and isn't nearly as fast, so that may have played a part.

For Gute, Savage may have been the best player at S period. When you have a chance to get the best player at a position, or the player who you deem "Your Guy", you go out and get him. Gute won't apologize for what he did, and I don't expect nor want him to either. Ted Thompson traded up to get "His Guy" in Spriggs, and nobody complained about that; until 1-2 years later, so give Gute the same courtesy.
If you want a true free safety, a guy to play single-high in man/blitz, something Pettine likes to do with some frequency, Savage was the best choice. He also has the flexibility to play off coverage against the slot. What he he lacks is the size and build for flexibility to play SS roles, up in the box or covering TEs, and certainly not the hybrid ILB role.

He's a complimentary player to "Smash" Amos who is now pegged for those SS roles, and perhaps even some hybrid ILB snaps where the SS/ILB distinction is entirely blurred. Jones was pulled from the hybrid ILB role altogether and Burks has not inspired confidence in the hybrid role, while there is no ILB pick, hybrid or otherwise, at least down to the 5th. round.

I confess to being surprised by this pick. While the Packers said they intended to use Amos in multiple roles, this pick says he's going to be primarily in those SS/ILB roles when not in two-high safety. I thought they'd go the other way, picking a guy who would fit as either a FS or SS as with Amos to mix, match and disguise, with Amos the primary guy in single-high. I was fooled by Amos' contract. He was #1 on my FA want list, but I did not think they paid him this kind of money to assume this role, but evidently his flexibility and as a "glue" player was highly valued.

Long story short, you can't look just at the player. You have to look at scheme fit, and beyond that the other players around him and how they might complement each other.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Anyone else a little annoyed with the likes of Thompson,Adderley and Gardner Johnson still available and we traded up in the 1st to take a safety??

Why did Adderley last so long? And why are the others still available? If they were on Savage's level in the league's mind, they would not have lasted 40+ picks after him (or 80+ in the case of Thompson and CGJ).

H

HardRightEdge

Adderley went 60th Overall
In the final analysis, I believe Packer fans will be happy Adderley was not the guy.

Here's Penny Hart breaking his ankles or leaving him flat-footed in the Senior Bowl workouts:

https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/status/1088260635878674433

https://twitter.com/_stevefrederick/status/1087934659948961792

While covering slots would not be his primary responsibility, and that flexibility aspect might be discounted in light of other positives, safeties need twitch and reaction too. I'd worry he's a tick or two shy of prime time, a shortcoming that would have been disguised against FCS competition. Maybe he'd be a good player in a zone-heavy scheme. I don't know what the Chargers run, but that ain't Pettine.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why did Adderley last so long? And why are the others still available? If they were on Savage's level in the league's mind, they would not have lasted 40+ picks after him (or 80+ in the case of Thompson and CGJ).
Tough to say without knowing how each team rated the players. If they had Savage as a 7.1 and Adderly as a 7.0, then we screwed up. If adderly was the #2 safety and a 6.4, then we made a great move. I thought the safeties were all about the same, seems that is wrong. If all other teams had Savage as a 6.4, then again, we screwed up

In the end, we filled our only need we had to fill IMHO, with the best safety in the draft. Gute did what he felt he had to do and I'm going to trust that. He seems to me like a calculating shrewd analyst. Not afraid of taking risks, but understands the level of risk, cost and reward. Gute traded up because the reward was great and the risk of missing his guy was too much.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Nagler and everyone can get mad and call me this and that but I really don't give a damn.

That was YOU that Nagler got the restraining order on? ;)

I am going to say the same thing to you as the poster below. Sure, it can be frustrating to be armchair GM's/coaches and disagree with what Gute is doing, thinking we know better. However there are a 1000 reasons why we all aren't GM's and Gute is. Before throwing in the towel on somebody else's decisions and declaring them a failure, shouldn't you see how those decisions play out first? Shouldn't you admit to yourself that just maybe you could be wrong and you weren't privy to all the information the Packers had in making their decision?

Honestly, I felt the same way, until I started reading why the move was made by Gute. Most of us had seen Adderly's name as a perfect fit for the Packers, maybe even a target at #30, since nobody thought he would be there at #44. But real life plays out and Adderly lasts until #60. So I have to conclude, other GM's felt the same way as the Packers did and not how the media and some fans felt about him. Look at the list of names that went in rounds 2 and 3, many of them were at one time being mocked as first round picks.

DK Metcalf is a perfect example of perception and reality. I saw the guy mocked in top 10 on several mocks Some Packer fans may have been over the moon ecstatic had he been picked at #12. Yet, he lasted until the very last pick of the 2nd round.

Speaking of Metcalf, although I am not a fan of Pete Carroll's, this was actually pretty funny and well played by Carol.

https://www.seahawks.com/news/pete-carroll-takes-his-shirt-off-to-meet-d-k-metcalf

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the deal with Savage is that it's really hard to find players with his skillset.

He can fly down alleys quickly to hit a RB or screen. And willingly! Needs to learn how to wrap up.

He can hang with slot routes.

He's really smart on the field! Diagnoses quickly and MOVES.

He can play centerfield, but I think that's where he needs the most work. He's smart, so it should come with experience.

He's a phenomenal athlete with good production.

I have two hangups with him. His size, and how he tackles. He needs to wrap up or he will get himself hurt. Similar to Bob Sanders.

What I love the most is that he can play so many positions, but he's smart enough on the field that he can be truly interchangeable with Amos. They can both play both positions! Pettine needs good, interchangeable safeties. He has them now, and it will change our defense dramatically.

If Savage were 6'1 205, he would've been a top 15 pick easily. But he wasn't, and we are reaping the benefits.

You guys will love watching him play after dealing with HaHa's lack of aggression. Promise.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with all of it, but I from what I saw, I didn't have any problem with his tackling. Seems to fly in and wrap them rather than the try and deliver a killing shot. Maybe I need to watch more.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with all of it, but I from what I saw, I didn't have any problem with his tackling. Seems to fly in and wrap them rather than the try and deliver a killing shot. Maybe I need to watch more.
That was my take as well.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Savage was the best on our board of Free safeties. He is really fast and can cover center field. So no, he was our guy and we stepped up and got him. No one has a crystal ball (that really works anyway) but he has the measurables that we wanted. I certainly did not want another in the box safety.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trust me, It's been posted. We would of picked twice tomorrow in 4th. That's two good shots at some good level prospects plus Adderley. I don't know how you don't go that route unless you think Savage is going to be some All-Pro safety which I do not.

We were riding a line with a very low margin of error and this move along with another shattered that.
Are you Ted Thompson?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think Savage was the best on our board of Free safeties. He is really fast and can cover center field. So no, he was our guy and we stepped up and got him. No one has a crystal ball (that really works anyway) but he has the measurables that we wanted. I certainly did not want another in the box safety.

Agreed and considering he was the first DB selected in the draft, that says a lot to me. He may not have gotten a lot of media hype over the last several months, but it sounds like all of a sudden in the last few weeks, as teams were getting down to business and really narrowing their draft boards, he was showing up at the top of the DB's in several teams boards.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know man. If you go back the last few years and read what I've said and takes I made I'm right a hell of a lot more then I'm wrong. So I am not always right but I don't feel good at all about this one or the 1st round or the whole draft for that matter. I felt much better after Gute's last draft actually if you go back and read.

Overall we failed to do some things that we had a window to get done with the ammunition to get it done heading into the offseason. Somewhere there appears to be a disconnect other then DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE which is never gonna work with Rodgers contract. Look no further then the Seahawks after paying Wilson. They couldnt even re-sign Frank Clark but they still managed to get DK Metcalf out of it. I really dont understand how people think adding a new coach with a couple guards and back up TE to all the sudden get this offense over the top.

We spent 200 million dollars and major draft capital and I am not convinced we even got one GAME CHANGER out of it. We have to wait and see but this could be really bad and I am afraid it will be. That's my take.

Nagler and everyone can get mad and call me this and that but I really don't give a damn.

Sorry Brandon, I no longer bother reading your posts. It appears you are just seeking attention. I don't feed trolls.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Gute wanted savage, .He knew with out a doubt another team was taking him...

He pulled the trigger

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I would have liked to kept the 4th rounders, but I am not disappointed in the Pick at all. and the cost to move up 10 spots wasn't that much relatively speaking. People wanted to package all sorts of things up to move into the top thinking that was a good idea to get the guy they wanted. Well they Identified a guy that wanted and got him. I think Savage fits exactly what we needed back there and I don't think he would have made it past the pick after ours anyway. I don't think he would have been available later.

If you want a true free safety, a guy to play single-high in man/blitz, something Pettine likes to do with some frequency, Savage was the best choice. He also has the flexibility to play off coverage against the slot. What he he lacks is the size and build for flexibility to play SS roles, up in the box or covering TEs, and certainly not the hybrid ILB role.

He's a complimentary player to "Smash" Amos who is now pegged for those SS roles, and perhaps even some hybrid ILB snaps where the SS/ILB distinction is entirely blurred. Jones was pulled from the hybrid ILB role altogether and Burks has not inspired confidence in the hybrid role, while there is no ILB pick, hybrid or otherwise, at least down to the 5th. round.

I confess to being surprised by this pick. While the Packers said they intended to use Amos in multiple roles, this pick says he's going to be primarily in those SS/ILB roles when not in two-high safety. I thought they'd go the other way, picking a guy who would fit as either a FS or SS as with Amos to mix, match and disguise, with Amos the primary guy in single-high. I was fooled by Amos' contract. He was #1 on my FA want list, but I did not think they paid him this kind of money to assume this role, but evidently his flexibility and as a "glue" player was highly valued.

Long story short, you can't look just at the player. You have to look at scheme fit, and beyond that the other players around him and how they might complement each other.

Gute wanted savage, .He knew with out a doubt another team was taking him...

He pulled the trigger

In answer to the first quoted post all of these pretty much say the same thing and I agree with them all. If you have a GM who identifies the man he wants and goes and gets him I will support that move all day long. Even if its not someone I particularly liked or didn't know. It may not always work out but IMO its better than sitting back and waiting to see what the other GM's leave for you. FWIW Savage seems to have been moving up boards rather quickly in the past couple of weeks. Things like this and the Metcalf thing really point out the difference between the media football guys and the real football guys.

As far as the first quoted post, initially I felt the same way, well not exactly. I was fine with Gute moving up to get the guy he wanted so I wasn't really annoyed. However, given who was left and the fact that those were all names I would have been happy to have I was left wondering if we maybe could have kept our 4th rounders. After watching those guys fall even further though it makes me feel even more confident in saying I think Gute did the right thing in getting the right guy for what I considered our greatest position of need.

HRE brought up the versatility factor and I don't dispute anything he said (mostly because I'm still trying to figure it out :D) and while it is nice to have players that can play all over sometimes its nice to just have a few guys who are very good at what they do. You can't fill the entire roster with the jack of all trades type guys. IMO you need a few masters as well. Its not like this move all of a sudden changes what Amos can do. It may mean he will not be asked to do as much of it but he will still be capable.

After all I have read about this guy I am very excited to have him on our team. I might end up liking the pick even better than the Alexander coup of last year.

Last edited:

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact is Chirstian Wilkins was sitting there at 12 and Johnathan Abram was

Some of you guys are like someone that went to a car dealership to buy a car and got twisted upside down and get home just to realize you got TAKEN.

So now rather then admit you got suckered you try to sell yourself with all these little tid bits like it had a SUN ROOF!!!!!

Well you paid an extra 5k for that SUN ROOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

And it LEAKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
@brandon2348

Ah F*** it, i aint got time to deal with nonsensical gibberish

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts