Packers to Play in Brazil

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read this pretty quickly and was on board until I noticed the $20 was per game - I figured on about that for the season. :)
Considering I currently pay $2,250 for reasonaby decent internet, cable, & Netflix I'd be OK ponying-up another $380/yr to watch the Packers win the SB. ;)

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These soccer hooligans could teach every NFL fan base about repp’ing a sports club.
Saw a headline for a title game where a riot ensued and I believe 11 people were un-alived. They stopped match, separated the combatants/injured settled it all down………and FINISHED the match.

If they say no green…..they mean no green.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Considering I currently pay $2,250 for reasonaby decent internet, cable, & Netflix I'd be OK ponying-up another $380/yr to watch the Packers win the SB. ;)
I'm paying $360/annum as an add-on to my phone bill for internet and Netflix. Cable isn't an option in the sticks. Wish Spectrum would figure that out and stop calling several times a week.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Just curious about others. IF the Packer games were strictly pay per view, how much, if anything, would you pay to watch each game on TV? I'm think my price point would be $20/game or less.
Honestly, I'd probably find something else to do at this point in my life before I'd pay more to watch a game. I have cable, Netflix and Prime and very seldom use it. If it comes to paying more JUST to watch a game, I'd pass. I assume you mean if it's not over the air free. I'm in market now.

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think people need to do some research. Think Internet Protocol TV.
I have, and right now they have me by the groin. Xfinity internet is $100ish/month, then add Fubo or other tv streaming pkg is another $60ish, so alternative to Xfinity is similar price. Once wife & I retire (SOON!) can drp down internet speed a bit & re-explore alternatives.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not paying extra to watch. It's bad enough they're flying 7000 miles to play a game in the heat, but it would help to have low viewership to help curtail this kind of nonsense.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not paying extra to watch. It's bad enough they're flying 7000 miles to play a game in the heat, but it would help to have low viewership to help curtail this kind of nonsense.
They were thrilled with results of the playoff game on peacock. They also know they can spit in your face whenever they want and there's always going to be enough fans they can profitable for them

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I read this pretty quickly and was on board until I noticed the $20 was per game - I figured on about that for the season. :)
Well if you host a BYO party of say 30 people to watch at your house, charge $2/person, you come out $40 ahead! That will teach the NFL to make entrepreneurs out of all of us! :coffee:

Of course, the NFL will get wind about your profiteering and convince the Networks to raise the per game fee up to $40.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They were thrilled with results of the playoff game on peacock. They also know they can spit in your face whenever they want and there's always going to be enough fans they can profitable for them
Bingo!

It wasn't just a few short years ago that some of us said "I prefer watching college sports, they are amateurs and money hasn't polluted the game." While yes, money was involved, but it went directly to the business (University), which spread it around to improve other programs, both sports and academics. That ship has sailed for me with the NIL and Transfer portal, now ungodly sums are being paid to "kids" for their "likeness" or should we say "to bribe them to play"?

As far as the money involved in the NFL, it has been a slow downhill rolling snow ball for fans, but it seems to be speeding up. Owners are getting bigger and more TV deals, Players are looking at $20-50M/ year contracts and want more. Meanwhile, fans are paying increasingly high prices for tickets, NFL gear, concessions and now, to simply watch a game on TV.

Fan Strike, Competition, major scandal, nuclear holocaust are about the only things I see stopping that snow ball.

What is next, the NFL collection a "royalty fee", anytime we type its name or the name of a team/player?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if you host a BYO party of say 30 people to watch at your house, charge $2/person, you come out $40 ahead! That will teach the NFL to make entrepreneurs out of all of us! :coffee:

Of course, the NFL will get wind about your profiteering and convince the Networks to raise the per game fee up to $40.
Then you'd have 30 people in you house and its pretty much a guarantee one will clog your toilet so bad you'll have to call a plumber and there goes your 40 bucks.

How well did all the fans stopping watching because of the kneeling work out? I have no idea but I'd be willing to bet that a majority of those who were "sick of this BS I'm not watching another game" are back watching and its probably a significant majority. Enough fans will pony up and it won't make a difference to the NFL. They will still make billions. A group of people will figure out how to profit from it and will make a nice chunk of change (your private PPV for example) and those who will get screwed are the individuals who simply can't afford it, dont have access to it, or just don't want to on principle.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Already illegal. Licensing. My church wanted to do tailgate parties at the church and project the game on the outside wall but were told they'd need a commercial license to do it. Rebroadcasting rules. Pubs get away with it via their cable fees plus projecting is different then viewing on a TV.
ETA: Free will donation? Not sure on that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Already illegal. Licensing. My church wanted to do tailgate parties at the church and project the game on the outside wall but were told they'd need a commercial license to do it. Rebroadcasting rules. Pubs get away with it via their cable fees plus projecting is different then viewing on a TV.
Just to tie the last 2 posts together. The money you charge guests is to have bathroom privileges for 3 hours in your house, not watch the game! :coffee:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The beer is free but you have to buy a cup. Yup, that one worked really well in college.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
How well did all the fans stopping watching because of the kneeling work out? I have no idea but I'd be willing to bet that a majority of those who were "sick of this BS I'm not watching another game" are back watching and its probably a significant majority.
I'd bet you're absolutely right. Thing is, those who stamp their feet and boycott ANYTHING are usually doing so out of anger or an emotional response to something they don't really understand.

Thing is too, I'm getting to the point where from my standpoint, it would just be an extension of my growing indifference to the NFL in general.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
How well did all the fans stopping watching because of the kneeling work out? I have no idea but I'd be willing to bet that a majority of those who were "sick of this BS I'm not watching another game" are back watching and its probably a significant majority.
Well we lost most of those same "fans" again over the Taylor Swift-Travis Kelce romance, but I bet those "fans" are back again.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The licensing fees to watch a game broadcast over public airways is going to eventually turn into a court case, and the NFL and networks won't like it when they questions start being asked about their being exempt from anti-trust laws.

I'd love to live long enough to see it, because when it happens, the leagues is going to change significantly, and not for the worse. The very idea that you are not allowed to watch a football game broadcast over free airwaves if you live in another team's "protected zone" is absurd. It's like saying you can't eat bratwursts in Texas, because they belong in Wisconsin. Pure BS.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd bet you're absolutely right. Thing is, those who stamp their feet and boycott ANYTHING are usually doing so out of anger or an emotional response to something they don't really understand.

Thing is too, I'm getting to the point where from my standpoint, it would just be an extension of my growing indifference to the NFL in general.
Well we lost most of those same "fans" again over the Taylor Swift-Travis Kelce romance, but I bet those "fans" are back again.
Yeah. Boycotts can work if the party being boycotted had something to lose. In this case I don't think the NFL does. IF it would have any chance of working it would have to last more than a few weeks and I honestly don't think most fans would stick with it.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The licensing fees to watch a game broadcast over public airways is going to eventually turn into a court case, and the NFL and networks won't like it when they questions start being asked about their being exempt from anti-trust laws.
Games are played in enclosed spaces. The leagues license the broadcasters to allow those outside the stadium an opportunity to see it. It is an exclusive license. No different than using your phone to record inside a theater or concert hall.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Games are played in enclosed spaces. The leagues license the broadcasters to allow those outside the stadium an opportunity to see it. It is an exclusive license. No different than using your phone to record inside a theater or concert hall.
The point that I'm making is that if CBS is licensed to broadcast it, and their earnings are based on advertising, each station gets a cut, in accordance with their particular viewing numbers based on the totals received. The argument would be that if the game is broadcast over CBS, and you watched it, no matter where you were, CBS could be given credit for the view, therefore increasing it's ad revenue, and make money. As far as.....let's say CBS in Green Bay, the advertising would still be part of the viewing even if it happened in Boise, Idaho. The only variance would be the local ads. Do they really matter in the scheme of things, because the only people who would be interested in them in the first place, would be able to get the games on their local station.

No! Those against freeing viewing would say that the intent of the "protected territory" is a scheme, that's intent on forcing anyone living within those boundaries to watch the games broadcast by their local teams only, because the refuse to allow you freedom of choice, in which games you watch. In reality, the argument really hinges around censorship, and allowing only what you dictate to people, that they are allowed to watch, while there are so many options out there, that should readily be available.

Continuing the argument, your being allowed to watch what you want can only be gained by paying ransom to have it available.

Next, one look at the money involved, and the way the average person would see the issue, and the huge amounts of value and money that is being profited by both players and teams, and you can get a pretty good idea where public sentiment would take it, in Congress, and eventually through laws and the courts.

When they go to pay-per-view, we can expect it's going to be a real nightmare of lawsuits, counter-suits, and public opinion that's going to create havoc.

But, that's the good side of it. If the NFL won in court, we'd be signing mortgages for our homes eventually, just to be able to watch them on TV. As it is, going to a Super Bowl game in this day and age has reached a point where people have to put themselves in serious financial difficulty to cover the costs for the weekend.

All in all, it's an interesting situation.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it's on Netflix; will they make you pay even if you already have Netflix?