Packers sign Lee to one-year deal

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted: Feb. 19, 2007

Veteran tight end Donald Lee has decided to cast his lot with the Green Bay Packers for another season despite being a forgotten man last season.

Lee, who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent March 2, agreed to a one-year deal, according to his agent, Cary Fabrikant. The deal includes a $595,000 minimum base salary and a modest signing bonus.

Picked up early during the 2005 season, Lee showed some pass-catching ability and appeared as if he might be a factor last season. But with the emergence of David Martin as the primary receiving tight end, Lee's role was reduced and he caught just 10 passes for 150 yards.

The 6-foot-4, 248-pound Lee caught 33 passes for 294 yards and two touchdowns in '06, but the coaches put more of an emphasis on blocking and Lee was hardly used in the passing game.

Martin, who outperformed starter Bubba Franks, is an unrestricted free agent who might be headed for the open market. The Packers have been unable to sign him to a deal since the season ended.

- Tom Silverstein

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lee was the Packers best performing TE for the last 2 years but got little playing time. While I hope the Packers get Johnson from the 49'ers to be their starter, Lee is a good #2.

When Martin is out of town I will be very happy. He is one of the few Packers who has never been worthy of his contract but somehow hangs on the roster like a Tyrone Davis.

If the Packers sign Johnson, Bubba could be cut.

Signing Lee is a no-brainer great decision.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he didnt see much playing time this year but I thought he did good the year before so for the price its good but we need to sign a way better TE then all of ours combined.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he didnt see much playing time this year but I thought he did good the year before so for the price its good but we need to sign a way better TE then all of ours combined.
I agree 100%!
We need to get a good STARTING TE. I think Lee would be a good #2. (Until he PROVES he can be a real threat).