Packers release Za'Darius Smith and Billy Turner

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikes are $15mil over the cap at the moment, and they'd save over $12mil by releasing Z. Guessing they asked him to reduce his $15.5mil base salary & he said no. He signed a BAD deal with $10mil SB & huge base salaries (in '23 & '24) so he's a prime candidate to be released.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikes are $15mil over the cap at the moment, and they'd save over $12mil by releasing Z. Guessing they asked him to reduce his $15.5mil base salary & he said no. He signed a BAD deal with $10mil SB & huge base salaries (in '23 & '24) so he's a prime candidate to be released.

They don't have to ask him to convert his base salary to signing bonus. Standard language in NFLPA contracts states that a restructure can be done without the players signature.

However if they want him to take a paycut ala aaron jones, then certainly they need his signature.

The reason he got pissed at Packers is becas they did the automatic restructure to signing bonus of his base. But then proceeded to pay out that signing bonus weekly through out the season. Which I agree with his anger, thats total bullsht. But he has no one but his agent to blame for it.

For instance, Aaron Rodgers contract includes language that states exactly when specific amounts of his bonus need to be paid. In 2023 the last 30 million has to be paid by September 30th. With the first 28 and change being paid by some earlier date i cant recall right now.

Z's agent should of included language that if base is converted to signing bonus it needs to be paid by the day before the first regular season game or something similar. Its certainly not in the "spirit" of the contract for the Packers to do it that way. However it is legally within their rights. It just obviously makes you look bad to other players who start thinking, well if they did Z like that, theyd do me like that too

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They don't have to ask him to convert his base salary to signing bonus. Standard language in NFLPA contracts states that a restructure can be done without the players signature.

However if they want him to take a paycut ala aaron jones, then certainly they need his signature.

The reason he got pissed at Packers is becas they did the automatic restructure to signing bonus of his base. But then proceeded to pay out that signing bonus weekly through out the season. Which I agree with his anger, thats total bullsht. But he has no one but his agent to blame for it.

For instance, Aaron Rodgers contract includes language that states exactly when specific amounts of his bonus need to be paid. In 2023 the last 30 million has to be paid by September 30th. With the first 28 and change being paid by some earlier date i cant recall right now.

Z's agent should of included language that if base is converted to signing bonus it needs to be paid by the day before the first regular season game or something similar. Its certainly not in the "spirit" of the contract for the Packers to do it that way. However it is legally within their rights. It just obviously makes you look bad to other players who start thinking, well if they did Z like that, theyd do me like that too
I screwed-up the base salary figure, his '23 base is "only" $9.45Mil & '24 base salary is $14.45mil. By moving '23 base to a bonus they'll "only" be saving about $4Mil unless they tack on dummy years. IMHO they don't want to push money into the future but were hoping to reduce his salary... although I've been wrong as recently as last night. ;) As an older vet his agent should've structured his deal to have more SB & more per game bonus $ rather than big base salaries.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems Za'Darius wants out of Minnesota, not unlike Stefon Diggs.

I wouldn't mind having him back, but only at the right price.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked him when he was here, he burned his bridge, now he's burning another one except they didn't release him yet.

D

Deleted member 6794

He's not happy with the $14.5Mil in '23 or the $20Mil in '24, don't think GB money would make him any happier. No thanks, he can stay unhappy in Skol-land.

I believe he's not happy because the Vikings approached him about taking a pay cut. I don't consider the Packers are being interested in bringing him back considering the way he left last year.