Packers release Za'Darius Smith and Billy Turner

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Appreciate everything Billy did and was - solid starter all the time while here. Wish him well!

Loved Z, but definitely smart move for organization and hope he goes to the AFC, because if healthy he is going be MOTIVATED>

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what the market is for a 30 year old LB (he'll turn 30 in September) who missed almost all of 2021 because of back surgery. If the market is tepid could he return for less?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what the market is for a 30 year old LB (he'll turn 30 in September) who missed almost all of 2021 because of back surgery. If the market is tepid could he return for less?

Could he yes, but someone with more cap space is going to roll that dice for a big payout.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RIP to my second favorite Packer to don bibs on gamedays LOL (Dillon the first of course)....Turner had some unique style that is for sure

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like Yosh will be given every opportunity to start at RT.

That's the assumption many of have drawn from such a move and is a move I thought was coming. However, I suspect Yosh will be given every chance to "keep his starting" role he has had during injuries in 2021, but I suspect there will be a rookie or a Dennis Kelly type guy that will be battling him also. Be a perfect world if someone came in beat Yosh out, but I feel fairly solid about our OL even with another one gone/cut/released.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Za'Darius was excellent in 2019 and 2020. His first year here, he should have been DPOY. But the move had to happen-- it was unavoidable.

Turner's release surprises me more. He doesn't save them much space and he was a quality, versatile OL in a league that's deprived of OL talent.

One wonders if it had as much to do with making way for younger guys as it did saving cap space. He likely would have been relegated to a backup role this season had he stayed, and that sometimes creates awkward dynamics in a locker room.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like its Bakh - Runyon - Myers - Patrick - Kelly/Nijman/Newman I think. Jenkins will b out for awhile.
Patrick is not signed. See the thread with the signed roster.

Patrick is an UFA and will be on the open market.

D

Deleted member 6794

Be a perfect world if someone came in beat Yosh out, but I feel fairly solid about our OL even with another one gone/cut/released.

The Packers currently have only seven offensive lineman under contract for next season with Jenkins most likely missing at least part of the season and Van Lanen and Menet being unknowns. While it's probable Nijman will be retained the Packers need to add some more talent to the unit to succeed next season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers currently have only seven offensive lineman under contract for next season with Jenkins most likely missing at least part of the season and Van Lanen and Menet being unknowns. While it's probable Nijman will be retained the Packers need to add some more talent to the unit to succeed next season.

100% expect minimum one draft pick and UDFA could provide us multiple.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Za'Darius was excellent in 2019 and 2020. His first year here, he should have been DPOY. But the move had to happen-- it was unavoidable.

Turner's release surprises me more. He doesn't save them much space and he was a quality, versatile OL in a league that's deprived of OL talent.

One wonders if it had as much to do with making way for younger guys as it did saving cap space. He likely would have been relegated to a backup role this season had he stayed, and that sometimes creates awkward dynamics in a locker room.
Agree, I read it as the staff feels the progress of the young guys on the o-line are ready for more playing time.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hansons?

Attachments

• hansons2.jpg
    hansons2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 76
D

Deleted member 6794

Agree, I read it as the staff feels the progress of the young guys on the o-line are ready for more playing time.

Which young guys are you referring to? There's only Van Lanen and Menet fitting that bill and I'm not confident in either of them.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My bet is once the structure is released there won't be a ton of guaranteed money and Ravens I bet could wipe/cut from him after one if they had to and definitely after two .

Members online

Latest posts