Packers release Brad Jones

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It looks like HRE may be correct and they plan on keeping Hawk. If so, at the very least I hope they negotiate his salary down from his base of $2.45M plus a roster bonus of $800K. That's too much for a backup ILB. As I've posted, I would prefer they cut him loose even though HRE has a valid point about the lack of depth at the position. Hawk's knowledge of the D better be able to be passed along by the coaching staff. And I'd prefer someone on the field physically capable of making plays even if he makes rookie/new comer mistakes.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you rethought your original assumption that an injury settlement would be required?

Such a settlement is a product of negotiation between the team and the player and involves by rule a projection of games missed. Would that require a team medical exam as Demovsky noted? Or would an operation for ankle bone spurs with 7 months recovery time be regarded as de facto non-disabling?

In any case, the league year starts March 10. On that date teams must be under the top-51 salary cap and free agency begins. If Hawk is neither released or renegotiated by that date, his full 2015 cap hit will be on the books. That could impact planning for free agent signings, the Packers own or otherwise.

If nothing else, the fact Hawk went in for the operation immediately after the playoffs would indicate he's not contemplating retirement.

So to sum up then, Hawk can't be outright released? It has to come in the form of an injury settlement by March 10th otherwise his entire salary is on the books for 2015?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Have you rethought your original assumption that an injury settlement would be required?

Such a settlement is a product of negotiation between the team and the player and involves by rule a projection of games missed. Would that require a team medical exam as Demovsky noted? Or would an operation for ankle bone spurs with 7 months recovery time be regarded as de facto non-disabling?

So to sum up then, Hawk can't be outright released? It has to come in the form of an injury settlement by March 10th otherwise his entire salary is on the books for 2015?

I'm still convinced that I'm correct about the Packers being able to cut Hawk whenever they want to.

Here are two stories I found which seem to prove support my theory:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ht-fails-his-49ers-physical-cut-by-buccaneers

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...aylor-martinez-after-he-fails-physical-051414

H

HardRightEdge

That's not what I said.

Hawk has no guaranteed money left in his contract, so his current contracted pay wouldn't become guaranteed until Week 1 of the regular season.

The issue is that if he's still on the roster, unrenegotiated, on March 10 he will count $5.1 mil against the cap from that point forward until and unless he's released or renegotiated. March 10 is also when free agency starts, so the potential $3.5 mil in cap savings that would come from releasing him might put a minor crimp in plans to get other guys signed.

The question before the court is whether an injury settlement is required as part of his release, whether a team physical is required, and the earliest date that physical and settlement negotiation could occur.
I'm still convinced that I'm correct about the Packers being able to cut Hawk whenever they want to.

Here are two stories I found which seem to prove support my theory:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ht-fails-his-49ers-physical-cut-by-buccaneers

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...aylor-martinez-after-he-fails-physical-051414
In both of those cases the players were released after a team physical. That no injury settlement is mentioned doesn't mean one had not been negotiated. They must happen all of the time but they're rarely mentioned in the reporting.

I wonder whether there's an earliest date a team can demand a physical of a player under contract.

I think there are questions that still need to be answered.

Last edited by a moderator:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kinda surprised that Jones got the action before Hawk. Anyone know the contract details?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think physically, Jones has more to offer than Hawk. Hawk is just coming off surgery and after last year he looked 2 steps too slow. I think teams will gamble more with the physicality than with someone that brings knowledge but can't get in position fast enough to do anything about it.

H

HardRightEdge

The Eagles have signed Brad Jones to a two-year contract.
I can't say I'm all that surprised.

Hawk seems intent on playing rather than retiring given he went in for the surgery right after the playoffs. He'll catch on somewhere. Maybe in Green Bay :eek: on a cheap deal if can't find a satisfactory situation elsewhere. Just kidding, just kidding....

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Kinda surprised that Jones got the action before Hawk. Anyone know the contract details?

Jones signed a two-year, $2.85 million contract with the Eagles. The deal includes a $500,000 signing bonus and base salaries of $850,000 in 2015 and $1.4 million in 2016. In addition the contract includes a $50,000 workout bonus in both seasons.

Latest posts