Packers mismanaging IR?

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is they didn't want to IR him because it was so up in the air. Is it 2 weeks, 8 weeks, season, career? We all can speculate, but they probably didn't want to IR him just in case there was someone else that had an injury that was a guaranteed 6-8 weeks. Randall/Rollins aren't injured, they probably don't IR him. Don't think they mismanaged it. They are just have a bad run of 4-6 week injuries that require juggling and a little bit of finger crossing that you don't need more roster spots.

And again, if it was so up in the air, why IR him later when Lacy also needs to go on IR and there are other expendable players on the roster? They DID have another guaranteed 6-8 week injury, it was Lacy, but now they IR'ed them both which will cost them one.

I originally even stated, multiple times in my original post, that my criticisms are only valid if both end up healthy enough to return this season.

I swear, I'm amazed at how the mere suggestion that perhaps management could have handled a situation better is borderline offensive to people. Just because we can't expect management to have a crystal ball doesn't mean we can't question their anticipation and foresight. That's their job.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
When it comes to injuries , unless you have inside knowledge, you truly cant claim a team was wrong

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And again, if it was so up in the air, why IR him later when Lacy also needs to go on IR and there are other expendable players on the roster? They DID have another guaranteed 6-8 week injury, it was Lacy, but now they IR'ed them both which will cost them one.

I originally even stated, multiple times in my original post, that my criticisms are only valid if both end up healthy enough to return this season.

I swear, I'm amazed at how the mere suggestion that perhaps management could have handled a situation better is borderline offensive to people. Just because we can't expect management to have a crystal ball doesn't mean we can't question their anticipation and foresight. That's their job.
OR, we realize they aren't perfect. I'm not going to bust their balls over something like this. If shields came back for the Giants game or was able to come back for the Falcons game, nobody would be saying a word. If Lacy would be able to take care of himself and keep a semblance of shape other than round he probably isn't on IR either. I love the way the guy runs, I do. It's a shame he isn't more committed (seemingly), but he has gained weight again, DURING the season. It was noticeable. and again he's sidelined with an ankle injury.

I know he went out there and ran hard, but at the same time, i don't think the team could have give him any rest either. Guys play on sprained ankles all the time, i'm not going to bust their balls for playing Lacy against Dallas. He started the game being effective, going airborne and landing with around 270lbs on an injured ankle probably did him in. I don't know, but I think the team knows this is all they'll get from him. hard running, but undedicated and unreliable. I didn't buy it before, but now i wouldn't be so sure this team isn't finished with him for that reason.

Concussions are variable. They want him to play, he wants to play. He may be able to play and there wasn't anyone available at any point that was going to give this team what the outside Chance Sam came back could give this team. It appears it just delayed the inevitable, but i'm not going to chastise a team for leaving a spot open for his return.

Lacy was a product of himself I think. and passing to run isn't a bad option at this point.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Um, what? Personal agendas, seriously?

No one here is rooting for Shields to retire (or to come back too soon) just so they can have the personal satisfaction of thumbing their noses and saying 'I told you so.'
you can speak for yourself in that refutation, but not others.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you can speak for yourself in that refutation, but not others.

Nice assumption to make of people. Let me rephrase, I certainly assume that no reasonable people would either cheer for Sam Shields' career to end or to come back from a head injury too soon just so they can brag to others on an Internet message board.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice assumption to make of people. Let me rephrase, I certainly assume that no reasonable people would either cheer for Sam Shields' career to end or to come back from a head injury too soon just so they can brag to others on an Internet message board.
Lol and I agree, however, I do think that many on this board jump at any chance to show that they have superior knowledge where it relates to the Packers coaching and management.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And again, if it was so up in the air, why IR him later when Lacy also needs to go on IR and there are other expendable players on the roster?

Expendable is strictly your opinion. Management must not view certain players as expendable. Obviously the non-IR injuries of Rollins, Randall, Cook, Abby, Starks and the impending return of Pennel and Goodson made them re-think and re-evaluate Shields.

They must hold the opinion that either Shields, Lacy or neither will be back this season. If both are back, guess they are wrong, but they are really getting thin trying to hold spots for all this extended short term injuries.

About all I'll say on that

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Expendable is strictly your opinion. Management must not view certain players as expendable.

And I obviously disagree with management, that was kind of the point.

This is hard for me to say, because I like the guy a lot and he is local to where I'm at, but Jared Abbrederis has 1 catch for 8 yards this year. He was a healthy scratch, not injured as you seemed to indicate. He is the 7th WR on the team, and no longer plays on special teams. We also have an 8th WR on the practice squad.

Obviously 'expendable' is subjective, but how does one get more expendable than that?

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was a healthy scratch, not injured as you seemed to indicate.
Obviously 'expendable' is subjective, but how does one get more expendable than that?

He has a quad injury.

If that is the case, then I'm sure it would have to be an injury settlement type cut, which in turn they would be restricted from resigning him for a set number of weeks. That might have played into their decision. (Abbrederis's value to the team and inability to stay healthy is a different valid discussion...)

D

Deleted member 6794

Being cleared to attend meetings indicates he was making progress.

It took Shields four weeks to be cleared to attend meetings.

Another wrong conclusion. There is plenty of doubt to the specifics of all injuries. Why do you think you know better than all the inside people with the information and facts?

Well, without having any inside information I would have placed Shields on injured reserve immediately after the Jacksonville game. As it turns out I would have been right about it.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

The mere suggestion is not offensive. Some posters here use verbiage and condescending tone toward mgmt in a knee jerk fashion. I'll almost always come down on the side of mgmt over a poster's supposition since they are the people with the information and I believe they have earned their stripes.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It took Shields four weeks to be cleared to attend meetings.

Well, without having any inside information I would have placed Shields on injured reserve immediately after the Jacksonville game. As it turns out I would have been right about it.
Well done Mr. Blind Squirrel. You found your nut.
You suppose the doctors told Thompson on the day of the concussion that he was certainly going to be out at least two or three months? If so, and Thompson said, I think you're wrong. Then you have a good argument that he clearly mismanaged the IR.

D

Deleted member 6794

The mere suggestion is not offensive. Some posters here use verbiage and condescending tone toward mgmt in a knee jerk fashion. I'll almost always come down on the side of mgmt over a poster's supposition since they are the people with the information and I believe they have earned their stripes.

I've said it repeatedly that I think overall the Packers front office has done a great job since taking over in 2005. That doesn't mean they're perfect by any means and should be allowed to be criticized for obvious mistakes. Unfortunately a lot of posters around here get offended by the slightest disagreement with Thompson and the rest of the management.

D

Deleted member 6794

You suppose the doctors told Thompson on the day of the concussion that he was certainly going to be out at least two or three months? If so, and Thompson said, I think you're wrong. Then you have a good argument that he clearly mismanaged the IR.

Geez, not a single poster even mentioned your beloved Teddy Thompson in this thread but that the Packers (that includes the medical staff) mismanaged the situation.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Here's a question. If Sam Shields is medically disqualified from football due to excessive concussions, does his salary still come out of the green bay salary cap? I would like to think workman's comp, disability or a different NFL budget should be responsible for this, but I am unsure.

D

Deleted member 6794

Here's a question. If Sam Shields is medically disqualified from football due to excessive concussions, does his salary still come out of the green bay salary cap? I would like to think workman's comp, disability or a different NFL budget should be responsible for this, but I am unsure.

If the Packers decide to release Shields because of medical concerns after this season the prorated portion of the signing bonus he received will count $3.125 million against the team's 2017 salary cap.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I've said it repeatedly that I think overall the Packers front office has done a great job since taking over in 2005. That doesn't mean they're perfect by any means and should be allowed to be criticized for obvious mistakes. Unfortunately a lot of posters around here get offended by the slightest disagreement with Thompson and the rest of the management.
Offended only when stated as absolutes based on woefully incomplete information or false assumptions.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
If the Packers decide to release Shields because of medical concerns after this season the prorated portion of the signing bonus he received will count $3.125 million against the team's 2017 salary cap.

If this takes place, it shows why it's important to keep up-front bonuses in the 25-35% range of the compensation package.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Would if he is medically disqualified? As in, it is not that the Packers choose to move on from him, but doctors say that he cannot play football again. As an athletic trainer, I find it hard to believe they would keep a guy out of football for an entire year if there was not some serious long term damage identified. We had a college player fall off a roof in July and land on his head. Cracked a bit of his skull and he was medically cleared to play in October. Unfortunately, if Sam Shields is still experiencing residual symptoms of a concussion and placed on IR, I will be surprised if Sheilds gets back onto a football field at all.

D

Deleted member 6794

Would if he is medically disqualified? As in, it is not that the Packers choose to move on from him, but doctors say that he cannot play football again.

The Packers paid Shields the signing bonus of $12.5 million at the time the sides agreed to the contract. Shields not being able to continue his career because of injuries suffered playing the game wouldn't result in him having to pay back the remaining prorated portion of it.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers paid Shields the signing bonus of $12.5 million at the time the sides agreed to the contract. Shields not being able to continue his career because of injuries suffered playing the game wouldn't result in him having to pay back the remaining prorated portion of it.
Agree with this. I've never heard of a player being docked signing / roster bonus due to injury. A healthy retirement though is a different story.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Geez, not a single poster even mentioned your beloved Teddy Thompson in this thread but that the Packers (that includes the medical staff) mismanaged the situation.
Who do you think decides who is IR'd?

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offended only when stated as absolutes based on woefully incomplete information or false assumptions.

First of all, what were the absolutes stated in the original post? Presumptions critical of both being placed on IR were based on whether or not both of Shields and Lacy are indeed healthy enough to return at some point during the regular season or playoffs. We'll see if that happens, but if it does, I feel that's an entirely valid criticism. These are crucial players.

And on Shields, is it really that unreasonable for Thompson to consider his injury situation at corner even a week later when Randall went down and think, 'Hey, this guy is on his 5th concussion, it doesn't look good, and we're getting thin at corner. In his best interests and the rosters, I had better be proactive here and get him on IR and have him back sooner rather than wait, as his concussion history doesn't suggest a quick return.

Also, aren't all assumptions based on incomplete information? We can only assume based off the information we have. If we had all the information, it wouldn't be an assumption .

Look, I can't speak for everyone, but I am quite good about giving TT credit where it's due (and I know Captain is as well.) I don't expect him to be perfect. I don't expect him to have a crystal ball. I don't usually get on his case for the Jerel Worthy's of the world or for the Richard Sherman's or Antonio Brown's of the world that pass us by, while I give him credit for the Mike Daniels types. I don't even criticize him for the trades like Lynch that he passes on.

So when I have what I feel is a perfectly valid criticism or concern of our front office performance based on the expectations I feel we should have of them, I think it's pretty unfair to wave it off or act like it's invalid simply because those guys are paid to do the job and the mere suggestion or idea that something should have been done differently is flat out wrong.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have any issue with how they handled Shields and Lacy. Shields didn't bang his head on the turf in a violent manner, so my gut was that he would be back in a relatively normal amount of time. I wouldn't be surprised if all involved were waiting to see if that is the case. The brain isn't like an ankle where a scan will reveal damage or no damage.

With Lacy off his feet for a long period, I bet that the Packers expect him to come back out of shape and less nimble. IR seems like the right place for him.

Members online

Latest posts