Packers might choose Hackett

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]
Posted: Jan. 10, 2007

As Mike McCarthy continues his search for a new offensive coordinator, the most logical choice should he go outside the organization remains Paul Hackett, his mentor in the West Coast offense.
Hackett, who hired McCarthy at the University of Pittsburgh in 1989 and took him along to the Kansas City Chiefs in 1993, just finished the last year of his contract as quarterbacks coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and is apparently seeking to be a coordinator again.

McCarthy and Hackett, 49, remain close and, according to a league source, have spoken in the past few weeks. However, it's unclear whether it was the two exploring possibilities or a formal interview for the coordinator's job that opened up when Jeff Jagodzinski accepted an offer to be head coach at Boston College.

Hackett's contract might not expire until the end of the month, but even if it does, it's more than likely Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden has given him the opportunity to pursue a coordinator's job. Gruden also served under Hackett at the University of Pittsburgh and has credited him with having a strong influence on his coaching career.

A year ago, McCarthy explored the possibility of hiring Hackett, probably in a position other than offensive coordinator because he wanted Jagodzinski for that job. Still, when asked on the day he was hired if Hackett was a candidate to become coordinator, McCarthy said yes, although he knew it was unlikely Tampa Bay would let him out of his contract.

"Paul Hackett has been a major influence in my coaching career," McCarthy said at the time. "He'd definitely be a candidate. Once again, how the staff shakes out is going to play a big part in that as far as what direction we go. But I have the utmost respect and owe a lot to Paul Hackett because he's the one that has taught me from Day One at the University of Pittsburgh in 1989 the basics of quarterback play and the foundation of the West Coast offense."

Hackett, who specializes in handling quarterbacks, learned the West Coast offense from legendary coach Bill Walsh while serving as an assistant with the San Francisco 49ers from 1983-'85 and taught it to McCarthy. In addition to an extensive career coaching in the college ranks, Hackett has coached for the Cleveland Browns, Dallas Cowboys, New York Jets, Jacksonville Jaguars, 49ers, Chiefs and Buccaneers.

If McCarthy is considering Hackett, he would have to measure how it would affect his staff, particularly quarterbacks coach Tom Clements. Hackett would undoubtedly take an active approach in coaching the quarterbacks and there would be questions about how duties would be split.

This week, Clements has been mentioned in various media reports as a candidate to be offensive coordinator under Nick Saban at the University of Alabama. However, a source familiar with the search there said Saban was going to hire former NFL assistant Joe Pendry for the job.

Assuming media reports were correct and Clements was a candidate for that job, he could be actively seeking a new job either in an attempt to find a coordinator's job or in anticipation of Hackett joining the staff in some capacity.

McCarthy is out of the office this week but said last week that he intended to continue the search for Jagodzinski's replacement while at his second home in Austin, Texas. Attempts to reach McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson were unsuccessful.

It's unclear whether McCarthy has interviewed any in-house candidates. Offensive line coach Joe Philbin, who has a solid background in the team's zone-blocking scheme, is considered the front-runner because of his expertise in the running game and ability to fill the same role Jagodzinski held.

If Hackett is the choice for offensive coordinator, he would have a strong hand in coaching the quarterbacks. Hackett is most known for having resurrected veteran Rich Gannon's career in Kansas City, developing Chad Pennington with the New York Jets and grooming Buccaneers quarterback Chris Simms.

Hackett has coached extensively both on the college level and in the pros. He was an assistant at Southern Cal from 1976-'80 and head coach from 1998-'2000. He returned to the pros to become offensive coordinator under Herm Edwards in New York in 2001 and stayed there through the 2004 season until resigning under pressure.

As offensive coordinator with the Jets, Hackett was roundly criticized for his play-calling and inability to make adjustments during games. However, Pennington had his best season with Hackett as offensive coordinator, posting a passer rating of 104.2 in 2002, his first season as a starter.

If McCarthy considers hiring Hackett, he will have to decide whether his coaching style would mesh with Brett Favre, who may come back for another season. Hackett is a stickler for proper mechanics and discourages free-lancing, which would certainly put him at odds with Favre's style of play.

However, Hackett might be able to help Favre the way he did Gannon, who went from the scrap heap to most valuable player.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
this is interesting...it almost seems like there is no rush to get someone in there?

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is interesting... It almost seems like there is no rush to get someone in there... PART TWO.

Does this mean Brett is leaving? Or does that mean Brett is thinking about hanging on?

The new O.C. and the system he will bring to the tundra will be a key factor on if Brett comes back. His challenge is not his love of the game from week one to Superbowl Sunday, but his challenge is the prep work that goes into another season.

R.P.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
This is interesting... It almost seems like there is no rush to get someone in there... PART TWO.

Does this mean Brett is leaving? Or does that mean Brett is thinking about hanging on?

The new O.C. and the system he will bring to the tundra will be a key factor on if Brett comes back. His challenge is not his love of the game from week one to Superbowl Sunday, but his challenge is the prep work that goes into another season.

R.P.

I dont think it will change to much...MM did/will do the play calling for the most part, or at least that seems to be the plan..

I dont how a new OC will sway Brett one way or another..Unless it is someone like Mooch, then it might

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Oh NO..! :shock:

Not Hackett..!!

He runs the most conservative, predictable, boring offense that doesn't seem to score any points. Look at the Jets of a few years ago.

This would be a big mistake. Too conservative and predictable...

:doh:

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you look closely at the whole article, did Silverstein talk to:

1)Mike McCarthy? No.
2)Paul Hackett? No.
3)Ted Thompson? No.

This is a little bit like the old game "Kick the Can". The person with the blinders on(Silverstein) is running around trying to find someone.

Hackett is a consideration, certainly. But would McCarthy be comfortable with his mentor working under him and directing his(McC) offense?

If Hackett is hired...in my view...it would be because Brett is retiring. Hackett would do the old school on Aaron Rodgers. Brett wouldn't want a new coach pushing his buttons, especially on his mechanics.

I also agree with the statement above about Hackett and the Jets offense. He was basically tarred and feathered by the New York fans/media for the offensive output, which was, offensive.

I think McCarthy will look elsewhere(hopefully). I don't know about Petrino's staff in Atlanta...but Knapp might be available and he would be a better choice.

subin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

Not Hackett..!!

He runs the most conservative, predictable, boring offense that doesn't seem to score any points. Look at the Jets of a few years ago.

Couldn't agree more. I saw what he did first hand for the Jets, and he was absolutely terrible. Not one person in New York liked him. But if you like 3 yard passes on 3rd and 15 and stuff like that, he's your guy.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Paul Hackett would be the ultimate crony hire, and MM doesn't seem to be the type to do that.

This guy wrecked offenses in NY and KC. Have Tampa QB's improved to such a degree that Hackett deserves another shot at coordinator?

Not just no; hell no.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

Not Hackett..!!

Couldn't agree more. I saw what he did first hand for the Jets, and he was absolutely terrible. Not one person in New York liked him. But if you like 3 yard passes on 3rd and 15 and stuff like that, he's your guy.
Boy I hope they dont hire this guy. I saw enough of his offenses when he was in Kansas City. And youre right subin. 3 yard passes on 3rd and 15 are his specialty. Why would they even consider this guy?

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
If you look closely at the whole article, did Silverstein talk to:

1)Mike McCarthy? No.
2)Paul Hackett? No.
3)Ted Thompson? No.

I'm not one to stick my neck out to defend journalists, but in the article it does state McCarthy was asked if Hacket was being considered, the answer was yes.

"Paul Hackett has been a major influence in my coaching career," McCarthy said at the time. "He'd definitely be a candidate. Once again, how the staff shakes out is going to play a big part in that as far as what direction we go. But I have the utmost respect and owe a lot to Paul Hackett because he's the one that has taught me from Day One at the University of Pittsburgh in 1989 the basics of quarterback play and the foundation of the West Coast offense."

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't that referring to asking if Hackett was a candidate...LAST year, not this year. I believe that quote is a year old.

Correct me if im wrong.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Isn't that referring to asking if Hackett was a candidate...LAST year, not this year. I believe that quote is a year old.

Correct me if im wrong.

Yep, sure was from last year, during the time he was lookin for an OC, but wanted Jags, who is now gone therefore starting the talks up once again about Hackett.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rossley would be better than Hackett.. :doh:
(and that's saying something...!)

(Remember when everyone (including Tom Rossley) said he was a "hot commodity" in this league and that he would be snatched up as a Head Coach somewhere..?) :rotflmao:

Where did he go?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure if Hackett should be blamed for conservative play-calling with the Jets. Maybe that was coming from Herman Edwards, who has always frustrated me with his conservative play-calling, especially at crucial moments in games. I don't remember who Hackett worked under in Kansas City. Was it Marty Schottenheimer? If so, he's the same type of coach as Edwards. So there may be some hope that Hackett would be okay in Green Bay under McCarthy.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Herm Edwards was responsible for the playing calling while at the Jets, funny story from the preseaon when Mangini took over this year, the Jets had failed to convert on 3rd and 1 and so the offense was coming off the field and Mangini started shouting at them telling them to get back on the field cos they were going for it on 4th down, the players were kinda shocked cos under Edwards they had grown accustomed to a conservative and boring offensive philosophy.

Reaction score
Gibbs won't become the Packers OC, precisely because of what TOP said.

I read in a PG chat that the name being heard most by them was Musgrave as an outside the organization candidate....

Bill Musgrave's coaching positions, as stated on Wikipedia:

Coaching positions
1997 Quarterbacks coach, Oakland Raiders
1998 Offensive coordinator [10 games], Philadelphia Eagles
1999 Quaterbacks coach, Carolina Panthers
2000 Offensive coordinator, Carolina Panthers
2001-02 Offensive coordinator, University of Virginia
2003-04 Offensive coordinator/Quarterbacks coach, Jacksonville Jaguars
2005 Offensive Assistant/Quarterbacks coach, Washington Redskins
2006 Quarterbacks coach, Atlanta Falcons

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Musgrave, while he was the OC of UVa, he did wonders with that team. I believe he is the coach most responsible for the maturation of Matt Schaub.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep in mind McCarthy is our play caller. So even if we hire this guy it's not going to be the Jets offense because McCarthy is our play caller.