1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Packers might choose Hackett

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Zero2Cool, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8

2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,485
    this is interesting...it almost seems like there is no rush to get someone in there?

3. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    This is interesting... It almost seems like there is no rush to get someone in there... PART TWO.

Does this mean Brett is leaving? Or does that mean Brett is thinking about hanging on?

The new O.C. and the system he will bring to the tundra will be a key factor on if Brett comes back. His challenge is not his love of the game from week one to Superbowl Sunday, but his challenge is the prep work that goes into another season.

R.P.

4. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,485
    I dont think it will change to much...MM did/will do the play calling for the most part, or at least that seems to be the plan..

I dont how a new OC will sway Brett one way or another..Unless it is someone like Mooch, then it might

5. P@ck66

P@ck66 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh NO..! :shock:

Not Hackett..!!

He runs the most conservative, predictable, boring offense that doesn't seem to score any points. Look at the Jets of a few years ago.

This would be a big mistake. Too conservative and predictable...

:doh:

6. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Except they'd be running McCarthy's offense and McCarthy would call all the plays. I'm not really sure what the OC does in GB actually.

7. net

net Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +86
    If you look closely at the whole article, did Silverstein talk to:

1)Mike McCarthy? No.
    2)Paul Hackett? No.
    3)Ted Thompson? No.

This is a little bit like the old game "Kick the Can". The person with the blinders on(Silverstein) is running around trying to find someone.

Hackett is a consideration, certainly. But would McCarthy be comfortable with his mentor working under him and directing his(McC) offense?

If Hackett is hired...in my view...it would be because Brett is retiring. Hackett would do the old school on Aaron Rodgers. Brett wouldn't want a new coach pushing his buttons, especially on his mechanics.

I also agree with the statement above about Hackett and the Jets offense. He was basically tarred and feathered by the New York fans/media for the offensive output, which was, offensive.

I think McCarthy will look elsewhere(hopefully). I don't know about Petrino's staff in Atlanta...but Knapp might be available and he would be a better choice.

8. subin

subin Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't agree more. I saw what he did first hand for the Jets, and he was absolutely terrible. Not one person in New York liked him. But if you like 3 yard passes on 3rd and 15 and stuff like that, he's your guy.

9. Since69

Since69 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Paul Hackett would be the ultimate crony hire, and MM doesn't seem to be the type to do that.

This guy wrecked offenses in NY and KC. Have Tampa QB's improved to such a degree that Hackett deserves another shot at coordinator?

Not just no; hell no.

10. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I vote for Gibbs, would be an excellent hire.

11. Since69

Since69 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree completely. I'd rather have Gibbs than any internal hire, too.

12. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Boy I hope they dont hire this guy. I saw enough of his offenses when he was in Kansas City. And youre right subin. 3 yard passes on 3rd and 15 are his specialty. Why would they even consider this guy?

13. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    I'm not one to stick my neck out to defend journalists, but in the article it does state McCarthy was asked if Hacket was being considered, the answer was yes.

14. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Isn't that referring to asking if Hackett was a candidate...LAST year, not this year. I believe that quote is a year old.

Correct me if im wrong.

15. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    Yep, sure was from last year, during the time he was lookin for an OC, but wanted Jags, who is now gone therefore starting the talks up once again about Hackett.

16. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    but its....ya know, i wont waste my time.

17. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    That's what I thought.

18. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    See Schottenheimer, Kurt for a rebuttal.

19. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Gibbs might come on as a consultant, but at 66 years old, I'm not sure he wants to do the work associated with being OC (I sure wouldn't at that age).

20. P@ck66

P@ck66 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    Rossley would be better than Hackett.. :doh:
    (and that's saying something...!)

(Remember when everyone (including Tom Rossley) said he was a "hot commodity" in this league and that he would be snatched up as a Head Coach somewhere..?) :rotflmao:

Where did he go?

21. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure if Hackett should be blamed for conservative play-calling with the Jets. Maybe that was coming from Herman Edwards, who has always frustrated me with his conservative play-calling, especially at crucial moments in games. I don't remember who Hackett worked under in Kansas City. Was it Marty Schottenheimer? If so, he's the same type of coach as Edwards. So there may be some hope that Hackett would be okay in Green Bay under McCarthy.

22. Tiger

Tiger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Herm Edwards was responsible for the playing calling while at the Jets, funny story from the preseaon when Mangini took over this year, the Jets had failed to convert on 3rd and 1 and so the offense was coming off the field and Mangini started shouting at them telling them to get back on the field cos they were going for it on 4th down, the players were kinda shocked cos under Edwards they had grown accustomed to a conservative and boring offensive philosophy.

23. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Gibbs won't become the Packers OC, precisely because of what TOP said.

I read in a PG chat that the name being heard most by them was Musgrave as an outside the organization candidate....

Bill Musgrave's coaching positions, as stated on Wikipedia:

Coaching positions
    1997 Quarterbacks coach, Oakland Raiders
    1998 Offensive coordinator [10 games], Philadelphia Eagles
    1999 Quaterbacks coach, Carolina Panthers
    2000 Offensive coordinator, Carolina Panthers
    2001-02 Offensive coordinator, University of Virginia
    2003-04 Offensive coordinator/Quarterbacks coach, Jacksonville Jaguars
    2005 Offensive Assistant/Quarterbacks coach, Washington Redskins
    2006 Quarterbacks coach, Atlanta Falcons

24. hoos

hoos Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I like Musgrave, while he was the OC of UVa, he did wonders with that team. I believe he is the coach most responsible for the maturation of Matt Schaub.

25. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Keep in mind McCarthy is our play caller. So even if we hire this guy it's not going to be the Jets offense because McCarthy is our play caller.