Packers interested in Lamarr Houston

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I keep beating the big man drum while remaining mystified at the general lack of recognition that we're a 3-4 team with no NT on the roster. How is this supposed to work?

I suppose there's some vague notion that Thompson will eventually sign someone or some combination out of the Raji/Jolly/Pickett group and that will be that (even if Jolly is not a NT and Raji hasn't shown us much at the position in the past 3 years). And somehow, the performance, injury and age issues associated with those three big man incumbents remain generally unappreciated.

And despite McCarthy's well-documented assertions to the contrary, there seems to be some peculiar notion that a smaller D-Line with more length and athleticism obviates the need to have an appropriate NT for playing in front of a back 7 relatively low on the physicality scale (not to mention the allegedly more lengthly and athletic DEs).

We remain in need of 2 big men, from whatever source.

I agree 100%. People seem too hung up on getting someone who can rush the passer in the base defense. The best thing the base defense can do is stop the run and set up third and long so A) CM3 and whatever other backer can forget about a running play and B) so they can get Daniels and/or Jones and/or Worthy on the field. There are some really special three down 3-4 dlinemen out there like Watt who can do it all, but mostly a 3-4 needs guys that will make the offense one dimensional and keep blockers off the backers. Everything you read about a 3-4 says that it won't work without a good nose, so I'd much rather have us sign Joseph who can play nose AND draft someone (I'd be totally fine with Nix in the first round). Maybe Jones will be a three down guy someday, but right now we need big fat guys who play like ours did the first five weeks, not the last twelve.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I keep beating the big man drum while remaining mystified at the general lack of recognition that we're a 3-4 team with no NT on the roster. How is this supposed to work?

I suppose there's some vague notion that Thompson will eventually sign someone or some combination out of the Raji/Jolly/Pickett group and that will be that (even if Jolly is not a NT and Raji hasn't shown us much at the position in the past 3 years). And somehow, the performance, injury and age issues associated with those three big man incumbents remain generally unappreciated.

And despite McCarthy's well-documented assertions to the contrary, there seems to be some peculiar notion that a smaller D-Line with more length and athleticism obviates the need to have an appropriate NT for playing in front of a back 7 relatively low on the physicality scale (not to mention the allegedly more lengthly and athletic DEs).

We remain in need of 2 big men, from whatever source.

Raji hasn´t played a lot at NT over the last three seasons and has shown that it´s probably his best position in 2010. If they bring him back on a one year deal and he´s motivated (which would be a big question mark) it could work out pretty well for them.

Members online

Latest posts