Packers Hire New Defensive Coordinator: Jeff Hafley, formerly Head Coach, Boston College

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This season it seems every NFL conspiracy question like that can be answered "So that the League could capitalize on Taylor Swift being at the Super Bowl."
That actually makes as much sense as anything else I can think of!

I remember talking about this on another board, and we all just kept watching the video over and over. A couple of people speculated that it was a designed scheme, that Barry deliberately left the gap open to tempt them into the quarterback sneak, but Walker misunderstood the plan and kept Nixon too far off the line to make the play in time.

I personally thought that was pretty close to "Taylor Swift" territory, but whatever happened there, something just wasn't connecting at all.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walker's a real enigma to me; I'm just not sure what to make of him. He's got a lot of ability, and at times shows flashes of near-brilliance, but sometimes I just don't know what the heck he's thinking. It's not just the occasional penalties; there are just times when he does the strangest things.

Remember that 4th anc 1 in the Panthers game, where Young converted the 4th by diving through the "A" gap - which was left conmpletely uncovered? Quay was quarterbacking the defense on that play. If you watch the play from the end zone view, Nixon was the closest Packer to the gap, about 4-5 yards off the line. You can see him turn to Walker, point at the gap, and ask him if he should plug that hole. Walker shook his head, and waved Nixon even farther back and to the right.

You could see Nixon wasn't comfortable with it, but he backed off about 7 yards, and checked to see if that was where Walker wanted him. Walker held him there, but Nixon just stood there watching the hole and leaning toward it. The instant the ball was snapped, Nixon just exploded toward the gap, with lightning speed, and hurled his body into the hole to block Young's path. It was an amazing effort, covering that 7 yards almost as fast as Young could get through the hole, but he got there a split second too late and Carolina converted.

Now, why in the world would Walker do something like that? What could he have been thinking? I also have to ask, where was Barry at that moment? Bathroom break? Why was he not shouting into Walkers ear to cover that gap? Never seen an explanation for that, either, but the pointg is, it shouldn't have been necessary. A high school player should have known to cover that gap. Nixon sure knew it. Why did Walker not only fail to grasp that, but specifically tell Nxon to back away even farther?

I just don't know what to make of him. There just seems to be some flaw in his thought process at strange moments.
I think I remember that play, or remember some play that was 4th and short with a very obvious gap and me yelling at the TV. Thanks for the gory details.

And yeah, the guy who runs the D has to be very aware and able to make a call in a nano-second. I'm not sure if Barry can still communicate with the LB that close to the snap, I thought that was shut off with 15 seconds left.

Either way, it was a very coachable moment for an otherwise talented player. It also makes me wonder if someone else, with the awareness of Nixon (even on an obvious decision) should be making those calls. Problem is that the ILB is in the best position to run the D. What's bothersome, and as you point out, is how obvious it was.

(BTW, you have a great screen game. Who cares about wind chill when the thermometer says 13 below zero? What a game. Glad I was around to see it. Yeah - I'm old.....)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This season it seems every NFL conspiracy question like that can be answered "So that the League could capitalize on Taylor Swift being at the Super Bowl."
Oh, it's a conspiracy Poppa. No doubt. Any other team that lost to the Raiders would be disqualified from the SB. But not the TS-led Chiefs.

Appoint a Special Investigator Mr. Garland.

OUpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They should have just left it at you can just transfer the next season and play instead of waiting the season. But as far as the money goes, with all the money to Big Time coaches make, it was a matter of time before athletes got paid too
I would argue that the players are getting paid with tuition, books, housing, hell of a lot better meal plan than students, along with top notch health care.
I have no problem with players getting money for name, imagine and likeness if it is done with the athlete generating the revenue for work done by sponsors.
Right now this money is coming from donors and is paid for playing football. Current system now is pay for play.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would argue that the players are getting paid with tuition, books, housing, hell of a lot better meal plan than students, along with top notch health care.
I have no problem with players getting money for name, imagine and likeness if it is done with the athlete generating the revenue for work done by sponsors.
Right now this money is coming from donors and is paid for playing football. Current system now is pay for play.
Now that you bring it up OU, how does NIL work - meaning how do the players get paid? I thought it was as NIL implies, they get paid when their name, image, or likeness are used to sell a product. You said it was pay-to-play with money from donors.

Can you or someone out there explain how NIL works, along with restrictions from using the portal. At least for me, it is all very confusing.

(I don't mind a player getting paid if the money would otherwise go to the school. If the player is the reason the money is changing hands, the player should get paid something. But then again, I don't understand how it works......)

Thanks all, and thanks for bringing it up OU.

Last edited:

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that you bring it up OU, how does NIL work - meaning how do the players get paid? I thought it was as NIL implies, they get paid when their name, image, or likeness are used to sell a product. You said it was pay-to-play with money from donors.

Can you or someone out there explain how NIL works, along with restrictions from using the portal. At least for me, it is all very confusing.

I think there are 2 avenues. Player A is hired to be a sponsor for a product "I just loved playing Ping-Pong with my Flex-O-Lite Ping Pong Paddle' and makes $25K or can directly make money off his name, image or likeness (like autographs or being the face of a video game). That is the simple application.

However... I think where the Wild West is occurring right now is that while college teams can't directly pay players, I think they are engaged in doing these collectives where fund raising is going to a NIL pool that is paid out to players for appearances and such. So when you hear things like 'They can offer more NIL money' is that the collective there has a bigger pool of resources.

At least that is my understanding. The 1st is pretty easy. I think the 2nd piece is basically the universities just paying their players in a roundabout way.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(BTW, you have a great screen game. Who cares about wind chill when the thermometer says 13 below zero? What a game. Glad I was around to see it. Yeah - I'm old.....)
Thanks! What a unique moment in sports history that was. It just breaks my heart that TV networks didn't archive games back then, and just recorded over it. To think that one of the most classic games in NFL history was taped over by "I Love Lucy"...

That game was also one of the great "I was so close" memories of my life. We had tickets, but when we got up that morning and heard the temperature in Green Bay, my mother refused to let my dad take her only child to that stadium on that day. I'm embarrassed to admit that at the time, I was a little relieved, but as the years went by I came to regret it a great deal.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there are 2 avenues. Player A is hired to be a sponsor for a product "I just loved playing Ping-Pong with my Flex-O-Lite Ping Pong Paddle' and makes $25K or can directly make money off his name, image or likeness (like autographs or being the face of a video game). That is the simple application.

However... I think where the Wild West is occurring right now is that while college teams can't directly pay players, I think they are engaged in doing these collectives where fund raising is going to a NIL pool that is paid out to players for appearances and such. So when you hear things like 'They can offer more NIL money' is that the collective there has a bigger pool of resources.

At least that is my understanding. The 1st is pretty easy. I think the 2nd piece is basically the universities just paying their players in a roundabout way.
Thanks Fire. That makes sense. I thought only sponsors would pay the athletes. I didn't understand the involvement of donors when players are paid for appearances. Yeah, that sure sounds like pay to play (for us). I appreciate the explanation.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks! What a unique moment in sports history that was. It just breaks my heart that TV networks didn't archive games back then, and just recorded over it. To think that one of the most classic games in NFL history was taped over by "I Love Lucy"...

That game was also one of the great "I was so close" memories of my life. We had tickets, but when we got up that morning and heard the temperature in Green Bay, my mother refused to let my dad take her only child to that stadium on that day. I'm embarrassed to admit that at the time, I was a little relieved, but as the years went by I came to regret it a great deal.
Interesting story. You couldn't have known how that game was going to turn out, and you still (hopefully) have your nose, fingers and toes, so don't beat yourself up for not going. You still have an amazing story, and all of your extremities. I'm sure Lombardi would have gone for it no matter, but I'm sure his decision was made easier by a strong desire to get the hell off that field.

So there is no footage of the entire game? Wow, that's unreal and a pity.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting story. You couldn't have known how that game was going to turn out, and you still (hopefully) have your nose, fingers and toes, so don't beat yourself up for not going. You still have an amazing story, and all of your extremities. I'm sure Lombardi would have gone for it no matter, but I'm sure his decision was made easier by a strong desire to get the hell off that field.

So there is no footage of the entire game? Wow, that's unreal and a pity.
Not only all my extremities, but two unused tickets in mint condition. Somewhere, anyway. When my dad died 15 years ago, I found them in his things, but of course now I don't now where I put them. I expect they'll turn up again someday, though. They actually look really cool!

Lombardi? Yeah, he said as much right then and there. Green Bay didn't even have a quarterback sneak in their playbook; they'd never run that play. At all. So there were no blocking assignments for the line or the backs, and no time to draw it up. Starr told Vince, "I think there's a spot in just the right place where I can get my footing. If we call the give play to Chuck again, and I keep it, I think I can get in." Lombardi listened, nodded his head, and said "what the helll, it's only a game. Run it and let's get the hell out of here."

Starr didn't even tell Mercein he was keeping the ball, and Chuck was in total shock when Starr just bolted. But he had the presence of mind to raise both his hands in the air so the officials knew he hadn't helped push Starr over the goal line.

Yeah, the network didn't save the game. They didn't even save the tapes of the first two Super Bowls, although quite a bit of footage from all 3 games has been found from other sources over the years and patched together so there is at least some tape fo people to see. I don't think anyone realized how much NFL football was about to explode, and the Lombardi Packers played a key role in making football such a popular sport.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Willem Dafoe grew up in Appleton, and his mother let his dad take him to the game. He was 2 years older than me. It was his first Packer game, in fact.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starr didn't even tell Mercein he was keeping the ball, and Chuck was in total shock when Starr just bolted. But he had the presence of mind to raise both his hands in the air so the officials knew he hadn't helped push Starr over the goal line.
Oh, is that why he was raising his hands? I always thought he was just signaling touchdown. Is that still illegal to push someone over the goal line? I thought that was done all the time.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, is that why he was raising his hands? I always thought he was just signaling touchdown. Is that still illegal to push someone over the goal line? I thought that was done all the time.

Assuming you're not being sarcastic....

It is no longer illegal to push the call carrier. This is where the dislike of the Philly "**** push" comes from. It is essentially a quarterback sneak and two upbacks in position to help push the quarterback forward if/when necessary.

It was made legal to push (I think technically the term is "assist") the ball carrier as it was difficult for refs to call reliably. I don't know if it was due to scrums turning into piles or refs were just unwilling to throw the flag. Perhaps some of both.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been done since 2005, when the league made it legal. But prior to that, it was banned and the ban was enforced.

And yeah, Donny Anderson said after the game that Mercein was so confused all he could think of to do was make sure the officials didn't think he'd helped Starr. They were very close to each other, because Chuck thought he was getting the ball.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was made legal to push (I think technically the term is "assist") the ball carrier as it was difficult for refs to call reliably. I don't know if it was due to scrums turning into piles or refs were just unwilling to throw the flag. Perhaps some of both.
I think that was why Mercein was so quick to say "not me not me". Very often when that happened, there was confusion and disagreement over whether the ball carrier had actually been pushed, and he didn't want there to be any confusion or disagreement on that call. Pretty quick thinking on his part.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, it's a conspiracy Poppa. No doubt. Any other team that lost to the Raiders would be disqualified from the SB. But not the TS-led Chiefs.

Appoint a Special Investigator Mr. Garland.
That's why I crossed out conspiracy (if only there was an eraser for photons) and put in question.
I expect they'll turn up again someday, though.
When your kids are going through your stuff.
I think when lineman started "blocking" defenders in the scrum and sometimes accidentally assisting the ball carrier is when they started having trouble calling it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that was why Mercein was so quick to say "not me not me". Very often when that happened, there was confusion and disagreement over whether the ball carrier had actually been pushed, and he didn't want there to be any confusion or disagreement on that call. Pretty quick thinking on his part.
I didn't know that pushing a ball carrier from behind was illegal in those days. All the times I've seen that play, I never noticed that Starr ran into the small gap created by Kramer on his own. And he was moving forward to his right as soon as it was snapped. If it weren't for Kramer and Starr's quickness, no TD.

That game still amazes me. And I don't care if a player or fan is from Green Bay, Antarctica, or Dallas - 13 below with a god-knows-what windchill is just ****ing face-cracking cold and no one is close to ok. I don't exactly recall if any player was hurt permanently by frost bite, I think so. I'm sure some of the brandy-addled fans lost a finger or toe.

The only other NFCCG I recall in GB that was close to that cold was the (2008 ?) game between the Giants and Packers. I know the Packers lost, in OT possibly, and that Tom Coughlin's face was as red as a late-summer tomato. I think it was 5 below. Still ****ing cold, too cold for a human. Still bugs me that they lost that game.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah and I think the Packers hd a chance but Favre through an INT. Live by Favre, die by Favre. He did the same thing in Minnesota. The Queens would have beaten the Saints and gone to the SB if Favre had merely taken a knee after no receivers were open. It would have been an easy, game-winning FG. Nope. He threw a very short pass that was picked off. The Saints went to the SB and beat P Manning and the Colts. I think it was 2009 or maybe 2010?????

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah and I think the Packers hd a chance but Favre through an INT. Live by Favre, die by Favre. He did the same thing in Minnesota. The Queens would have beaten the Saints and gone to the SB if Favre had merely taken a knee after no receivers were open. It would have been an easy, game-winning FG. Nope. He threw a very short pass that was picked off. The Saints went to the SB and beat P Manning and the Colts. I think it was 2009 or maybe 2010?????
It would have still been about a 50 yard FG.. No gimmee.

OUpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

(I don't mind a player getting paid if the money would otherwise go to the school. If the player is the reason the money is changing hands, the player should get paid something. But then again, I don't understand how it works......)

Thanks all, and thanks for bringing it up OU.
That is exactly what NIL is supposed to be.
Now the system is set up for donors/sponsors contribute to a collective in order to pay the players.

This podcast cast is pretty good and explains some of the NIL things.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is exactly what NIL is supposed to be.
Now the system is set up for donors/sponsors contribute to a collective in order to pay the players.

This podcast cast is pretty good and explains some of the NIL things.

Thanks OU, much appreciated. As NIL settles in, it will be interesting to see which schools emerge with the most talent, assuming talented players will follow the NIL money. Seems logical that some of these schools will be in big media markets.

But not all. Players who are paid for offering their NIL to some type of sports gear could earn that money anywhere.

About the only thing that's certain is that it will change college football and basketball. To what extent? Gotta wait and see.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Takeaways from intro presser:

Says coaches have to coach with energy if they expect the players to play with energy.

His job is to make it really easy to understand so they can just go out there and play and have fun

Team should enjoy playing with each other.

Said learning is a two way street that he learns from great players and changed techniques based on player input.

Sounds like a very focused individual. I came away with a lot of faith in his ability. I can see where he will inspire and develop more team chemistry.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Takeaways from intro presser:

Says coaches have to coach with energy if they expect the players to play with energy.

His job is to make it really easy to understand so they can just go out there and play and have fun

Team should enjoy playing with each other.

Said learning is a two way street that he learns from great players and changed techniques based on player input.

Sounds like a very focused individual. I came away with a lot of faith in his ability. I can see where he will inspire and develop more team chemistry.

He's already better than Barry.

Latest posts