Packers GM Brian Gutekunst

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
With all of the excuses, you must have thought so too. Again, I was wrong.
I didnt think left bare. You cant expect solid starter level play from 3rd string players.

They are 3rd string for a reason

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Look at the trouble San Fran had with their backup cornerbacks. It's fiscally impossible for any team to play the back of the roster guys and get the same results you would from a good or excellent starter. That would be known as unrealistic expectations.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup and anyone expecting zero diminished performance from 2nd, 3rd or 4th string guys is just choosing to live in ignorance. It is a rarity when it happens, not the norm nor the expected.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that it's wrong to suggest Gutekunst failed with the offensive line but unfortunately the unit struggled mightily without Bakhtiari in the NFCCG vs. the Bucs.
Yeah? How well do most teams do against a very good pass rush with a backup LT and backup RT?

Here’s a hint. OL depth across the league is rather poor.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Next man up. No excuses. Gute left the cupboard bare.

How many teams are capable of lining up a 3rd string LT against a Pro Bowl edge and still do well?

The Chiefs couldn’t do it in the Super Bowl. Most teams starters can’t do it. It’s not realistic to expect a backup to perform to the level of a guy like Bakh or Jenkins, and while Nijman played well for his level, he wasn’t anywhere close to the other two.

Due to the salary cap and roster limits, it’s near impossible to have starter level backups on the OL. Yet, GB has that. Anybody complaining about the OL depth has zero idea what the rest of the league looks like.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup and anyone expecting zero diminished performance from 2nd, 3rd or 4th string guys is just choosing to live in ignorance. It is a rarity when it happens, not the norm nor the expected.
Yeah, but, but, no excuses sounds good!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many teams are capable of lining up a 3rd string LT against a Pro Bowl edge and still do well?

The Chiefs couldn’t do it in the Super Bowl. Most teams starters can’t do it. It’s not realistic to expect a backup to perform to the level of a guy like Bakh or Jenkins, and while Nijman played well for his level, he wasn’t anywhere close to the other two.

Due to the salary cap and roster limits, it’s near impossible to have starter level backups on the OL. Yet, GB has that. Anybody complaining about the OL depth has zero idea what the rest of the league looks like.

And we even still have an experienced RT starter in the league for years who hasn't had to see time.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure looked like it tonight.
No, it didn’t.

Nijman received help most of the night. That’s something Bakh doesn’t get.

Nijman did remarkably well for a 3rd string LT. The offense also worked to help him, a lot. He wasn’t left on an island to near the extent that Bakh is.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah? How well do most teams do against a very good pass rush with a backup LT and backup RT?

Here’s a hint. OL depth across the league is rather poor.

Nobody suggested it's easy to adequately replace Bakhtiari by any means.

But you were the one suggesting they were very good last season without him which wasn't true for the NFCCG vs. the Bucs.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure looked like it tonight.

Actually I'd be shocked if Nijman grades out at D (at best) for the game. VERY admirable performance and Lordy he fought his butt off - but let's not pretend he is more than he is.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody suggested it's easy to adequately replace Bakhtiari by any means.

But you were the one suggesting they were very good last season without him which wasn't true for the NFCCG vs. the Bucs.

I never referenced last year Capitan, not until you did so. I was talking about the OL playing well this year without him. Next time I’ll clarify every small detail for you, k?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually I'd be shocked if Nijman grades out at D (at best) for the game. VERY admirable performance and Lordy he fought his butt off - but let's not pretend he is more than he is.
Be patient. The staff likes him for a reason.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Be patient. The staff likes him for a reason.

Nothing I said indicates I'm not a fan. Yosh showed immense promise and at times there were a few plays I was yelling (at no one as wife wasn't paying attention) about his footwork against Bosa at times was immaculate.

D

Deleted member 6794

I never referenced last year Capitan, not until you did so. I was talking about the OL playing well this year without him. Next time I’ll clarify every small detail for you, k?

So you think the offensive line played well against the Saints??? Interesting.

Even if you consider that to be true don't you think two games is a pretty small sample size???

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you think the offensive line played well against the Saints??? Interesting.

Even if you consider that to be true don't you think two games is a pretty small sample size???

In general, yeah, Rodgers had plenty of time, he just held onto the ball too much. Playing well doesn’t mean you’re going to be a stone wall the whole game. The other guys are paid professionals too. They win matchups sometimes! But overall, yeah, played well.

I’m not going to argue sample size or anything else. With what we’ve seen, they’ve done well, especially in comparison to the rest of the league. If you want to argue the minutiae, find somebody else to do it with.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bad game verse TB was the outlier last year. Hopefully this good game vs. SF is not the outlier for this year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts