Packers get Harry Williams

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Cali I was going to post this one..... By the way who is Harry Williams??? Someone near Javon or Driver skills? Nope just a minimum wage bargain !!!! Good job TT the 70´s and 80´s look real cloes to me !!!! With this kind of great targets Brett will anounce that he will play for the following 20 seasons TODAY !!!

OVERVIEW
One of the best-kept secrets in the small college ranks, Williams has had two stellar seasons as the Golden Tigers' primary target. Blessed with great speed, he put that quickness to work not only on the football field, but also on the track. He was twice named Tuskegee's track team's MVP (2002-03) while competing in the 100- and 200-meter dashes. In the 2004 outdoor season, Williams won the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference 100-meter title and finished second in the 200-meters.
Williams redshirted during his first year at Tuskegee. He played in seven games in 2001, catching nine passes for 224 yards (24.9 avg.) and two touchdowns. A knee injury would limit him to four games in 2002, as he made four catches for 56 yards. He started every game during the 2003 season, finishing second on the team with 27 receptions for 626 yards (23.2 avg.) and three touchdowns. He also added 319 yards on 12 kickoff returns (26.6 avg.).

In his final season, he again ranked second on the squad with 43 catches for 678 yards (15.8 avg.) and three touchdowns. He returned seven kickoffs for 134 yards (19.1 avg.). In 36 games with the Golden Tigers, Williams started 26 times. He had 83 receptions for 1584 yards (19.1 avg.) and eight touchdowns. He also gained 453 yards on 19 kickoff returns (23.8 avg.).

ANALYSIS
Positives: Very effective vertical receiver with the speed to consistently get deep … Has good quickness off the line of scrimmage and is a long strider with the acceleration to gain on the cornerbacks … Has shown improvement in extending his hands to catch outside the body's frame … Gives good effort as a position blocker … On kickoff returns, he is adequate when hitting the seams, showing the vision and instincts to elude … Has the body control and flexibility to adjust to the ball in flight.
Negatives: Has a very lean frame, thin waist with long, thin legs … Runs marginal routes and needs to do a better job of using his hands to prevent defenders from jamming him at the line … Lacks crispness with his feet in and out of his cuts … Tends to be affected going for the ball in traffic or tight quarters … Does not time his leaps to get to the ball at its high point, preferring to let the ball come to him … Needs a free lane to gain any additional yardage after the catch … Needs to show more aggression going for the ball.

INJURY REPORT
2002 -- Limited most of the year while recovering from February surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee.

AGILITY
Campus: 4.48 in the 40-yard dash … Bench pressed 225 pounds 12 times … 450-pound squat … 275-pound power clean … 31 5/8-inch arm length … 10-inch hands … Left-handed … Wears contacts.

HIGH SCHOOL
Attended Jackson-Olin (Birmingham, Ala.) high School, playing football for coach Michael Cliasby … Also lettered in track, competing in the 100- and 200-meter dashes.

PERSONAL
Electrical Engineering major, enrolled in the College of Engineering, Architecture and Physical Sciences … Son of Marshall Terrell and Harry Williams … Born Aug. 10, 1982 … Resides in Birmingham, Ala.

Another Fergy to me... another bargain to me and you get what you pay for !!! if you want a big target get an elephant !!!

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying its bad, a lot of the great recievers came from small schools...Rice, Owens, Driver, etc etc...but if this is the team with the most cap space picking up only waiver-caliber players to fill appearent needs that Javon Walker's probably departure will create, hmm...i'll reserve criticism for now, for now--we better come through on Pickett or Ben Taylor

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
I'm not saying its bad, a lot of the great recievers came from small schools...Rice, Owens, Driver, etc etc...but if this is the team with the most cap space picking up only waiver-caliber players to fill appearent needs that Javon Walker's probably departure will create, hmm...i'll reserve criticism for now, for now--we better come through on Pickett or Ben Taylor

A seventh round draft pick who lead the league in DNP (did not plays) in his rookie season with the Jets -- and was cut by the JETS -- one of the few teams drafting ahead of us????

Yeah!!!!!! Teddy I guess those rumors that you were vacationing on the coast in Mexico were exaggerated.

tomadz is right -- "you've got to get up pretty early in the morning to slip one by old Teddy."

OP
OP
C

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a perfect Thompson pick up.
Ted really knows this part of the player market.
As an electrical engineer he must have some intelligence.

The problem as a waiver pick up is that the Packers have to abide by the contract he signed with the Jets. Probably minimum wage and the Jets have eaten the signing bonus.

A track man 6'3" and can jump a bit.

Looks like the possesion receiver over the middle kind of guy.

Brett can make him look good. Why pay millions?

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
please dont ever quote me again with something I didnt say.

You've got to be kidding! You shoot from the hip with crude comments and attribute stuff to posters all the time -- including me.

What are you suddenly Mr. Sensitivity

OK I'll modify it. Quoting something Tromadz likely might say, you've got to get up pretty early to slip one by my boy Teddy!

Happy?

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope Bruce we have a rule: No ***holes to vacation in Mexico after spring break, anyway he might be drinking a lot of tequila,,,,,who knows.

No Cali I have 4 electrical engineers at my plant ant I have to keep track of the, so dont you ever count on them to be intelligent.

So I am upset, upset, upset..

Yes TT-romadz I am offering you a BIG Apologize if we get anything betterthan an 8-8 season...... but TT is an ......... to me...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hey thats your opinion, but in my opinion, making a judgment of free agency after 3 days of it makes you a look like a *******...but thats me. i still love you though, and consider you my packerforum friend(one day..maybe more)

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
hey thats your opinion, but in my opinion, making a judgment of free agency after 3 days of it makes you a look like a *******...but thats me. i still love you though, and consider you my packerforum friend(one day..maybe more)

Ted Thompson was not hired 3 days ago, he was hired 1 year and 3 months ago. And in that time he has taken the 3 time Division Champions and turned them into a 4 -12 team sitting on the sidelines during the early stages of Free Agency 2006

But in fairness Ted did get us Safeties Freeman and Little, Guards O'Dwyer and Klemm, LB Ray Thompson in Free Agency -- well at least Klemm made the team.

So far this year he spent 10 million on a backup safety that Roman beat out in Cinncy and who has not gotten a single interception in the NFL and only 5 passes defended in 4 years -- Hell, Freeman and Little accomplished that in less than a season in each year they played in the NFL and look where they got us.

My dear friend Chamuko did not offer an evaluation of 3 days of Free Agency -- he offered an opinion of 15 months of Ted Thompson's performance. I am pleased to see you edited your insulting response to him.

Are you obsessed with ***es??? So far today you have called people ***clowns, JackA$$es... What's up with that?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and gardner, and gado,etc...

but dont mention them of course...that would hurt your agument. ignoring the facts is fun.

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you f****** idiots would you let the players get a chance to play before you say they suck. and stop saying TT is an idiot after 3 days of free agency wait would ya jesus

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trom...I'm going to give you some friendly advice because I love you man. Why not let people rip TT? Just don't reply unless you have something of substance to rebut it with. Then when TT proves them all wrong, you come on and tell them "I told you so". I'm not ripping you. If you remember, I was the big defender of Sherman and almost killed myself defending him.

I'm not ready to tear TT a new a-hole yet but I have learned that everyone is entitled to their opinion and there are alot of very smart guys here that are not real happy with him. TT is not off limits so let them go.

Just make damn sure nothing bad is said about Brett Favre!!!!!

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
and gardner, and gado,etc...

but dont mention them of course...that would hurt your agument. ignoring the facts is fun.

I know that this stuff is pretty complex for you -- but Gardner was picked up on waiver wires -- not signed as a Free Agent. And Gado was also picked up from the waiver wires -- not during the free agency period, though he had cleared initial waivers.

I know you probably missed it, but all of the players I listed were UFA signed during the Free Agency period of 2005 -- just like the 3 days you are declaring that have passed in the 2006 Free Agency period.

I have given Thompson credit where credit is due. I also have offered criticism where it is warranted. I still think there is time for Thompson to grow into this job and even redeem this off season, but this crap about not counting last season and keeping quiet because he deserves a blank check is crap.

Having said all of that, I apologize for my hot headed slams at you today. You pissed me off with your impulsive insults, but that does not excuse my insulting you.

I am willing to let bygones be bygones, but do not expect me to ignore obvious blunders or actions that would seem to indicate that Ted Thompson is in over his head.

I don't think even you would defend his telling free agents that we cannot evaluate them until next week because our scouts are busy with draft evaluations as competent action.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
trom...I'm going to give you some friendly advice because I love you man. Why not let people rip TT? Just don't reply unless you have something of substance to rebut it with. Then when TT proves them all wrong, you come on and tell them "I told you so". I'm not ripping you. If you remember, I was the big defender of Sherman and almost killed myself defending him.

I'm not ready to tear TT a new a-hole yet but I have learned that everyone is entitled to their opinion and there are alot of very smart guys here that are not real happy with him. TT is not off limits so let them go.

thanks for the advice, i DO appreciate it..

but i must admit...im irked by so many of you...heres why...

for the majority of the year, in almost ANY situation, we would play the "wait and see, then judge" game. this is a smart and rational approach. Of course some would judge without all the facts or games played,etc and it is their right.

But as of Firday, when Free agency began....the 'wait till its finished then judge' approach was thrown right out of the window! TT\MM\GB management in general are being thrown under the bus for not signing someone to a record setting 49 million dollar offersheet like the vikings.

I understand people are anxious and want to see some moves. But what they dont seem to understand is there are a LOT of GOOD\GREAT free agents still out there! And some of those GOOD\GREAT FA's dont even fit with our system(Randle el...hes great..but small. TT\MM\Favre like em big..so it wouldnt make sense).

We have 30 million to spend. If you think it will not be spent, then you don't know much about free agency, and football in general.

I just dont like the needless\idiotic panicking....the money is not going to disappear in 4 days, people.

But thats me....thanks for the advice.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Bruce said:
I don't think even you would defend his telling free agents that we cannot evaluate them until next week because our scouts are busy with draft evaluations as competent action.

That still ****** me off. Hearing that made me lose faith in TT. Not having scouts to evaluate potential talent for the team's future success tickles my peter the wrong way.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
DePack said:

thanks for the advice, i DO appreciate it..

but i must admit...im irked by so many of you...heres why...

for the majority of the year, in almost ANY situation, we would play the "wait and see, then judge" game. this is a smart and rational approach. Of course some would judge without all the facts or games played,etc and it is their right.

But as of Firday, when Free agency began....the 'wait till its finished then judge' approach was thrown right out of the window! TT\MM\GB management in general are being thrown under the bus for not signing someone to a record setting 49 million dollar offersheet like the vikings.

I understand people are anxious and want to see some moves. But what they dont seem to understand is there are a LOT of GOOD\GREAT free agents still out there! And some of those GOOD\GREAT FA's dont even fit with our system(Randle el...hes great..but small. TT\MM\Favre like em big..so it wouldnt make sense).

We have 30 million to spend. If you think it will not be spent, then you don't know much about free agency, and football in general.

I just dont like the needless\idiotic panicking....the money is not going to disappear in 4 days, people.

But thats me....thanks for the advice.

I been there. I am still in the wait and see mode. I'm not too upset by the non-signings. I think there will be some signings and it will be nice to have some money in June when some teams will dump some good players. I just hope TT is showing Brett enough to want to come back!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well considering the rumor of him hinting at making his decision after the draft (and another rumor saying pretty soon)

BUT if his decision IS made after the draft, does the first 3 days of free agency really mean anything? i just would like people to think it through. we got ahman back, we got aWR for him(i know its some no name guy..) but things will get donw.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy will be off the team after training camp in all likely hood. He adds depth. Maybe he can return kicks that's probably what they see in him. I can't see him being used as a #3 or #4 WR. I'm guessing they see a Roell Preston type of player.

OP
OP
C

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
i know its some no name guy...

Williams is a name with a lot of history and tradition with the Packers.

Now the Packers have a Harry one. A junior to boot.

He can have his own television show like a remake of Mary Tyler Moore only Harry is throwing his helmet in the air at Lambeau with the background music "Your going to make it after all."

I want Harry to make it after all and prove that he can out perform the millionaires.

Members online

Latest posts