Packers expected to bring Raji back on one-year deal

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Sky King

Reaction score
If his lackluster performances were perceived to be a result of physical decline then it is not likely that TT would have offered him a contract at all. The perception that his less-than stellar performances may have been a result of a flawed mental approach to the game and not because of a significant decline in his physical abilities seems all the more probable. His recent supporting casts may have contributed something to his performances, as well.

He spent the entire season in GB last year even after he had been placed on IR. He could have gone back home to N.J. during the season and gotten fat counting his money. He didn't. Maybe that's a true indicator of his level of commitment and one that has earned the team's confidence in him. There may be other examples that we would not be aware of, such as private discussions between Rajii and key staff members. There has to be something that has prompted TT to offer him another contract.

Before I would personally write him off for 2015 and beyond I want to see how he performs during the 2015 season. Few here had anything positive to say about the very much maligned Morgan Burnett before the 2014 season had begun and now there's nary a discouraging word heard about him.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If his lackluster performances were perceived to be a result of physical decline then it is not likely that TT would have offered him a contract at all. The perception that his less-than stellar performances may have been a result of a flawed mental approach to the game and not because of a significant decline in his physical abilities seems all the more probable. His recent supporting casts may have contributed something to his performances, as well.

He spent the entire season in GB last year even after he had been placed on IR. He could have gone back home to N.J. during the season and gotten fat counting his money. He didn't. Maybe that's a true indicator of his level of commitment and one that has earned the team's confidence in him. There may be other examples that we would not be aware of, such as private discussions between Rajii and key staff members. There has to be something that has prompted TT to offer him another contract.

Before I would personally write him off for 2015 and beyond I want to see how he performs during the 2015 season. Few here had anything positive to say about the very much maligned Morgan Burnett before the 2014 season had begun and now there's nary a discouraging word heard about him.

Absolutely. I would very much be willing to bet that there were conversations that took place between the Packers' camp and Raji's camp where concerns were voiced about his effort and work ethic. The good news for the Packers is that there is likely more pressure on Raji now than there was 2 years ago. Now he's seen what the market thinks of him when he shows little motor and goes through the motions. The clock on his career is ticking and he knows this year may be his last shot to parlay a one year prove it deal into a big multi year contract with somebody.

Thompson, like any other GM out there, is an investor. He tries to pick out the best investments and hopes to see a return on it on the field. He has made some bad investments (Hawk, Jones) which have been outweighed by good ones (Lang, Sitton, Nelson, Burnett).

Raji at this point is a low cost investment that could either fizzle out and be worth nothing or pay big dividends. So from a business perspective, Raji makes sense. It does not mean that they were 'happy' with him. It means the risk/reward, especially at a position of need, is cost-effective for them to take another chance on Raji.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted messed this up last year. There was a DT/NT available that Ted had 2 shots at, before losing him 3 spots before he picked in the third. I'd rather have a high character guy like Louis Nix who went to Houston, over Raji who lets be honest can't stay healthy, Guion, who isn't a high character guy, and the guy we drafted in the 3rd round from SMU. I think we have to do SOMETHING at this position, maybe not a starter/contributer in 2015, but a guy that can contribute in 2016 at the very least.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Ted messed this up last year. There was a DT/NT available that Ted had 2 shots at, before losing him 3 spots before he picked in the third. I'd rather have a high character guy like Louis Nix who went to Houston, over Raji who lets be honest can't stay healthy, Guion, who isn't a high character guy, and the guy we drafted in the 3rd round from SMU. I think we have to do SOMETHING at this position, maybe not a starter/contributer in 2015, but a guy that can contribute in 2016 at the very least.

Raji isn´t injury prone, he missed a total of four games before suffering the biceps injury last season. Nix on the other hand underwent a third knee surgery in September last season and has yet to play a single snap for the Texans.

Just for the record, most college football pundits refer to Southern Methodist when talking about SMU. Thornton played for Southern Mississippi.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score

BJ has never had any major health issues. Nix has a very long list of health issues.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We then wouldn't have Adams or HaHa now if we picked a NT early last year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it's very likely that a NT and a DE are drafted this week given the uncertainties surrounding Raji, Guion, Thornton and the fact that Daniels contract expires after the 15 season. For 16 season, the D-Line situation needs bodies and Thompson tends to draft out to the future season +1. He's got a 6th round pick that I could see him packaging with the 5th to move up and grab a guy on his board that he sees good value for in the early 5th. Those 6th round compensatory picks are huge in that they give him leverage to move up and still bring in a few projects.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I think it's very likely that a NT and a DE are drafted this week given the uncertainties surrounding Raji, Guion, Thornton and the fact that Daniels contract expires after the 15 season. For 16 season, the D-Line situation needs bodies and Thompson tends to draft out to the future season +1. He's got a 6th round pick that I could see him packaging with the 5th to move up and grab a guy on his board that he sees good value for in the early 5th. Those 6th round compensatory picks are huge in that they give him leverage to move up and still bring in a few projects.

I would be absolutely fine with bringing in a future NT in the draft. It´s probable though that there won´t be any impact players available once Carl Davis will be off the board at some point during the second round.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The "something" that prompted another contract was that the contract was really cheap and the Packers didn't have any better options anywhere else. The decline in Raji's game isn't mental or physical, he's just not a good NT. He's never been good at keeping guys off his body. He doesn't keep blockers at a distance with his arms and so he's not able to disengage and make plays along the line. He gets wrapped up with guys (when he's not being shoved around like a hockey puck) and just stands there.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be absolutely fine with bringing in a future NT in the draft. It´s probable though that there won´t be any impact players available once Carl Davis will be off the board at some point during the second round.

You think Davis goes before or after Phillips? Both those players are really enticing for different reasons. Davis, if he actually tried on every play, would be the best player in this draft. Phillips on the other hand is already excellent against the run but he's as raw as it comes against the pass, if he learns to rush the passer (a huge if) HE could be the best dlineman in the draft.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

You think Davis goes before or after Phillips? Both those players are really enticing for different reasons. Davis, if he actually tried on every play, would be the best player in this draft. Phillips on the other hand is already excellent against the run but he's as raw as it comes against the pass, if he learns to rush the passer (a huge if) HE could be the best dlineman in the draft.

I expect Philipps to be either draft late in the first round or early in the second while Davis will most likely be picked midway through the second round. I would prefer to get Davis out of the two and hope he will continue to show the effort that made him one of the stars at the Senior Bowl.

Latest posts