Packers expected to bring Raji back on one-year deal

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
$3.5M seems a little bit much for Raji. They must have been worried about other teams getting involved.

I still like the deal, and I hope he outperforms it, but I would prefer TT to bow out and take the comp pick at this time next year if he dominates in 2015. He's got "play for a big contract this year and go back to lazy Raji when he gets it" written all over him.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad we kept both. Letroy Guion was a pleasant surprise last season for us. Even if hes suspended a game or two, we'll have him for the bulk of the season and the playoffs.

I hope we bring Brandon Spikes in...

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope neither Raji or Guion got a nickel in signing bonus. That way either one can be chopped off the roster at a moments notice. I dont think either one is worth the money that is being reported and I suspect that both are insurance. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Thompson pick a NT in the first two rounds yet.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't think the signings change the fact that a NT will probably still be drafted, but I don't think with as high of a draft choice. This takes A LOT of pressure off of a lot of things on the front line as well as the ILB position IMO.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping that Josh Boyd and Mike Pennell become more relevant to this conversation by making significant strides forward this season. Thornton, too, although he looked no better than a lump under a hat during last year's camp. So hope is quite guarded in his case. Two out of three would be pretty good, though.

Agree; even 2 out of 3 would be a huge lift.
I still believe though, that the biggest lift the Dline can get as a unit will be if Datone Jones can finally perform like a 1st round pick.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never read the article, but skimmed a headline weeks ago saying that Raji might actually command some decent attention (and pay) in the second FA period. Assuming we did pay him more, it might be reflecting that sentiment.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think these two signings do much to the draft focus. Both of these guys were signed to one year prove-it deals. If they prove it, are we going to sign both next season? No, that's not Ted's style. They still need to draft someone in the top rounds to be the future here.

There probably won't be any good NTs available after the early picks in the second round so I don't expect Thompson to bring in the future guy at the position in this year's draft. Re-signing both Raji and Guion allows us to wait another year to address the position with a first round pick.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not forget that Johnny Jolly was a sixth round pick, and that the NFL is full of players that exceed (or fail) their draft positions. I don't think that the fans should believe all of the draft "gurus" if they aren't showing depth at this position. It's up to the scouting department to identify the right players and then the GM & coach to execute the draft in a way to acquire those players.

Next January (or hopefully February) all the same fingers will be banging away on their keyboards, talking about how NT is a big need. It should be addressed this year, and all the better if there is a steal to be made in the mid-to-lower rounds. I wouldn't think twice if he pulled the trigger in the first round. Players can slide in the draft. It's what makes the draft interesting is all of the variables, the same ones that render all of the mock drafts useless.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Ya, and they upgraded the position! ;)

That's hilarious!

I also feel that having no replacements on the roster for Hawk and Jones is an upgrade over having them on the roster. LOL.

(or course, this has to be dealt with prior to the season...)

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
With three 6th round picks, I expect one of them to be a D-lineman with Daniels, Raji & Guion's contracts expiring after 2015. I expect 2 of the 9 picks to be d-line actually.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Dunne has a story titled, B.J. Raji could be the difference on Packers 'D' on jsonline. He argues that Raji could be the most important addition to the team this season – and if the 2010 Raji magically reappears he will probably be right. Even Raji's most ardent fans are aware of the caveats attached to Raji, here are a couple of reasons for guarded optimism:
Observing from afar had its benefits. He realized he needs to get back to basics — "Getting off my blocks. Getting to the ball," he said. He zeroed in on his flexibility, realizing this might've been one reason the tendon gave out. From November to January, he spent five days a week at Flow Yoga Studio in East De Pere with Ryanne Cunningham, the players' go-to, off-site miracle worker. And in time, he became much, much more flexible — even at 337 pounds.
Once he start lifting heavy weights, he went berserk. This off-season, Raji got his bench press back up to 450 pounds. On a squat machine, he's doing 1,100 pounds. He's shoulder-pressing 335 pounds five sets of five reps. His longtime trainer, former New Jersey strongman Joe Carini, is blown away. Carini called Raji's turnaround "phenomenal," adding he's actually "better now than he's ever been" in the weight room.
What this means to me is if Raji's mind is right, his body shouldn't prevent him from making a significant impact.
Rather than go mad over the fact that he tore his biceps tendon in a contract season, Raji's been strikingly serene since the injury. Refreshed. The biggest improvements may have been made in Raji's mind.
Raji's earned our skepticism but we can all hope that last sentence is true.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...n-middle-of-action-b99478147z1-299751571.html

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Dunne has a story titled, B.J. Raji could be the difference on Packers 'D' on jsonline. He argues that Raji could be the most important addition to the team this season – and if the 2010 Raji magically reappears he will probably be right. Even Raji's most ardent fans are aware of the caveats attached to Raji, here are a couple of reasons for guarded optimism:
What this means to me is if Raji's mind is right, his body shouldn't prevent him from making a significant impact. Raji's earned our skepticism but we can all hope that last sentence is true.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...n-middle-of-action-b99478147z1-299751571.html

Once again, I will restrain myself from getting excited about Raji until I see him play like he did in 2010.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm in the skeptic camp on Raji too. I hope they keep him to under 35 snap count and make it clear to him his career in Green Bay is in jeopardy if he doesn't show maximum effort on every snap. I fully expect a NT to be drafted to be the the starter in 2016.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm in the skeptic camp on Raji too. I hope they keep him to under 35 snap count and make it clear to him his career in Green Bay is in jeopardy if he doesn't show maximum effort on every snap. I fully expect a NT to be drafted to be the the starter in 2016.

Even if Raji performs next season as well as he did in 2010 I don´t expect the Packers to bring him back in 2016. Thompson won´t trust him enough to throw a huge amount of money at him.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if Raji performs next season as well as he did in 2010 I don´t expect the Packers to bring him back in 2016. Thompson won´t trust him enough to throw a huge amount of money at him.

I hope this is true, but Ted does have a tendency to extend an enormous benefit of the doubt to his own. There was no reason in mid-2013 to offer Raji 20M guaranteed and 8M a year.

Should Raji have an enormous year, I'd be very concerned, but not shocked to see TT extend a big multi year deal to him.

H

HardRightEdge

What this means to me is if Raji's mind is right, his body shouldn't prevent him from making a significant impact. Raji's earned our skepticism but we can all hope that last sentence is true.
Raji is always serene. Maybe that's the problem.

Could he be a difference maker? Certainly. Will he be a difference maker? I wouldn't bet on it.

We'll have a good idea of where he's at by week 3. I'll give that much benefit of the doubt given the rust.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope this is true, but Ted does have a tendency to extend an enormous benefit of the doubt to his own. There was no reason in mid-2013 to offer Raji 20M guaranteed and 8M a year.

Should Raji have an enormous year, I'd be very concerned, but not shocked to see TT extend a big multi year deal to him.
We'll know after the draft I think. If a NT is drafted and shows promise, Raji won't be here in 2016 imo.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If my memory serves me right, last year, before he was hurt, he was moved back to NT and looked good. If they play him there (which it seems like again) he should be able to do what he did in the past.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If my memory serves me right, last year, before he was hurt, he was moved back to NT and looked good. If they play him there (which it seems like again) he should be able to do what he did in the past.

He did move back to NT, but I don't know why it's widely assumed that he had turned things around based on a couple tackles in pre-season and some fluff comments from coaches. It doesn't mean much until he proves it again.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did move back to NT, but I don't know why it's widely assumed that he had turned things around based on a couple tackles in pre-season and some fluff comments from coaches. It doesn't mean much until he proves it again.

Because he is a nose tackle? Not to discount he may have become less focused after all the adulation after his famous dance in the Bears game and the fame afterward, it would seem to the coaches that he was refocused after being moved back. So maybe let's see if he realizes how lucky he was to have gotten there, and now wants to reclaim his position in football. Young guys get distracted and then mature. He has had a couple of seasons to get it together. If the coaches trust him, let's see what he can do. Plus, we would seem to not have to count on him to carry the whole load, LG played well last year. If used together, they may stay fresh and have quite the impact in the middle.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Because he is a nose tackle? Not to discount he may have become less focused after all the adulation after his famous dance in the Bears game and the fame afterward, it would seem to the coaches that he was refocused after being moved back. So maybe let's see if he realizes how lucky he was to have gotten there, and now wants to reclaim his position in football. Young guys get distracted and then mature. He has had a couple of seasons to get it together. If the coaches trust him, let's see what he can do. Plus, we would seem to not have to count on him to carry the whole load, LG played well last year. If used together, they may stay fresh and have quite the impact in the middle.

Raji had one of the worst seasons by a Packers defender in recent history while playing NT for an entire year in 2011. Just because the coaching staff decided to move him back to the nose doesn´t mean he´ll return to his 2010 performance.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The trouble with this theory is that Raji was best when he was young. By his worst season he was age 27 and there's no reason he shouldn't have matured by then.

If his state of mind is so fragile that a touchdown dance and subsequent State Farm commercial caused him to suck beyond belief in 2013, I'm not incredibly confident in him regaining his form this year.

I'd much, much rather be wrong and have him be a force this year and have our defense do enough to get us back to a Super Bowl than be back here again next year again talking about how much he sucks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts