Packers' defensive line looks to rise to another level

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daniels/Clark/Wilkerson are top tier guys imo. The depth has potential too imo. Montravius Adams was one I was very optimistic about. The foot stress fracture derailed his rookie year. But before the foot he was getting good reports. After he healed he seemed to be producing good for a rookie on a rebound.
Then the taller leaner lowry should be making more plays now that he has some bruisers to soften up and tire out the oline.
I think that’s a key strength for this year’s version of the DL, depth. They have at least 4 guys who can bring it, assuming Wilkerson returns to form. And we don’t know what Adams can do, but I think he was a 3rd round pick. That also makes the job of the edge rushers and LBs a little easier if the DL can collapse the pocket. And ideally it forces the QB to rush some throws and we get a few more pics with an improved secondary. Definitely the best unit on this D.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be a terrible idea to have Wilkerson rush from the edge and move Matthews away from the LOS.
Agreed captain. Matthews seems likely to see more snaps at ILB, but he should be getting after QBs, not receivers.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the very least I expect Pettine will have 3 down linemen in most nickel situations.

Wilkerson at LDE, Clark at LDT, Daniels at RDT, and Perry variably with his hand on the ground or not.

I expect Matthews will rush less and drop more, while Jones will stalk the LOS more, and Ryan will see the field less.

It would be a terrible idea to have Wilkerson rush from the edge and move Matthews away from the LOS.

Agreed captain. Matthews seems likely to see more snaps at ILB, but he should be getting after QBs, not receivers.

I'm not saying Matthews will be in the middle more often than not... I'm saying he will, or at least should be inside in some alignments.

There are times when you're going to want those 4 guys I mentioned rushing. Wilkerson, Clark, Daniels, and Perry (up or down) - left to right.

In other alignments you might have Matthews, Adams/Lowry, Daniels, and Perry (down lineman).

The 2-4 is not an alignment that makes sense given our personnel.

------------------------------------------------------------

I simply don't think our personnel point to usage of a 2-4 as being an optimal alignment. Capers never figured that out - and ran the 2-4 as his base more often than not.

He should have been fired years before he was... he really cost us a lot of time in terms of building a championship caliber defense. Every year he was there after 2013 was a wasted year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying Matthews will be in the middle more often than not... I'm saying he will, or at least should be inside in some alignments.

There are times when you're going to want those 4 guys I mentioned rushing. Wilkerson, Clark, Daniels, and Perry (up or down) - left to right.

In other alignments you might have Matthews, Adams/Lowry, Daniels, and Perry (down lineman).

I simply don't think our personnel point to usage of a 2-4 as being an optimal alignment. Capers never figured that out - and ran the 2-4 as his base more often than not.

He should have been fired years before he was... he really cost us a lot of time in terms of building a championship caliber defense. Every year he was there after 2013 was a wasted year.
Yeah with the DL talent we have there is no excuse for lining up 2-4. And even though the D is touted as 3-4, I expect to see more 4-3 alignments, again just given the talent on the D line. Matthews certainly can drop back and pick up a TE or slot receiver running a slant. I’d just rather see him tackling QBs than receivers. Martinez is probably better suited to drop into coverage when needed. As for Jake Ryan, I don’t see him on the 53 this year, depending on how quickly Burks develops.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's no reason for Pettine to line up Matthews at inside linebacker aside of having him rush the passer from there.

There's absolutely no doubt that the best alignment to put pressure on opposing quarterbacks without having to blitz is using a combination of Daniels/Clark/Wilkerson lining up inside with Matthews and Perry rushing from the edge.

It doesn't make any sense to consistently line up one of the defensive linemen outside of an offensive tackle by any means.

Yeah with the DL talent we have there is no excuse for lining up 2-4. Matthews certainly can drop back and pick up a TE or slot receiver running a slant. I’d just rather see him tackling QBs than receivers. Martinez is probably better suited to drop into coverage when needed. As for Jake Ryan, I don’t see him on the 53 this year, depending on how quickly Burks develops.

It's true that the Packers don't have enough quality depth at outside linebacker but Pettine will still have to use two of them on the majority of the snaps to successfully put pressure on opposing quarterbacks.

I fully expect both Martinez and Ryan to make the roster but hope that Burks presents an upgrade over both of them in coverage.

H

HardRightEdge

At the very least I expect Pettine will have 3 down linemen in most nickel situations.

Wilkerson at LDE, Clark at LDT, Daniels at RDT, and Perry variably with his hand on the ground or not.

I expect Matthews will rush less and drop more, while Jones will stalk the LOS more, and Ryan will see the field less.
I wouldn't be surprised to see that personnel package situationally but it will not be an intended staple of the defense. You might see more of Wilkerson on the edge with an injury to Perry or Matthews.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct here.

1/2 right. Yes, it might collapse the pocket. But if you aren't threatening around the edge, the QB is not under duress. Edge rush + Interior rush are related.

If all you have is edge rush, the QB can step up. If all you have is interior rush, the quarterback can just drop back a little further and/or escape contain and again not be threatened.

So, when I read that, all I hear is: Step 1, steal underpants, Step 3, profit. And no details what step 2 actually is.

Yes, those three linemen + Perry and Matthews in base is an excellent run defense. That's kind of the point of a 3-4--you play bigger linemen to clog up the middle and play two ends. Ideally, the front 5 in a 3-4 is bigger than the front 5 of a 4-3 in total. We get to 5 in each by comparing including 4-3's SOLB and both 3-4 OLBs.

But again, one passing downs, those bigger, slower guys are at a disadvantage. Across the board, NT, DT, 3T, 5T, 7, Wide9, the pass rusher will be smaller than the run stuffer. Bigger is great in the run game, when the defense wins by merely saying, "No, you move me." Pass rushing is attacking a gap. And rushing the passer is more tiring. Dragging that extra weight will tire guys out faster.

Compared to OTs, that weight is an advantage. An OT in pass protection is catching. He uses that weight to anchor and he doesn't have to move as far, for as long, or as quickly. OT is largely about efficiency of movement.

A sideline to sideline linebacker isn't going to help in pass rush.

It's not that I don't value the power, it's that compromises have to be made. Friction is a thing, budgets are a thing, etc etc.

I would prefer 300 pound DEs that can run a 4.5 40. But those guys are somewhere between "non-existent" and "stupid rare." I'd happily have a prime Reggie at EDGE in any scheme. Ditto Peppers or JJ Watt. But there are only so many of those guys period, let alone those guys playing at the same time, let alone on the same team. So you start to compromise and optimize: take what is shown to be useful at each position and be willing to give up what isn't strictly required.

Interior linemen are bigger to take abuse in the running game. They also tend to be shorter, in the hopes they have better leverage against double teams. Speed isn't generally important at all. This gets more and more extreme the closer you get to the center. A 0-NT will be the biggest, a 1-NT might be a little smaller, 3Ts regularly slip under 300 pounds. Also, you need to adjust your weight preferences in general. Your talk of 320, pass rushing DEs is crazy. The only one I've seen close to that was Pickett in 2010. And he was no pass rusher--he was a run-down blocker eater. 280 is huge DE in 4-3 schemes.

As you get further away from the center, straight weight isn't as important, because the job changes. Outside contain, keeping the quarterback in the pocket, and getting your hands up in the air, makes length/height more important. Part of that is also how rushing works on the edge vs. the interior. Interior rushing is wrestling, the outside it boxing. OTs, with the long arms and kickstep can neutralize bigger, slower players from the second the ball is snapped. Inside hands is the key. If the OT can get to your chest plate, he's won. If you're 320 and 6'1", you likely have some stubby arms. He's 315, 6'5". Get that chest plate, lock arms, and that rusher won't be pushing a damn thing. Size be damned. Thus, you want your EDGE guys to also have long arms to counter the OT's long arms.

More dead-horse beating: But Matthews is the typical size of an EDGE defender in most any scheme.

Von Miller: 249. Clay's bigger.
Khalil Mack: 247. Clay's bigger.
Demarcus Lawrence: 250. Clay's bigger
Justin Houston: 258. Willing to call that Equal?
Melvin Ingram: 265
Chandler Jones: 260
Jadeveon Clowney: 267
Ryan Kerrigan: 260
Carl Lawson: 260
Bosa: 276.
Everson Griffin: 273
Brandon Graham: 269
I'm not against Mathews other than I think #12 should get his salary...

Martinez is a tackling machine. Different from the under sized coverage ilb capers wanted. I like Ryan too, As a back up. Solid.

I also think the shift to bigger faster stronger, more physical secondary, will play into the equation. Lack of speed from dline ,with a physical secondary playing up, will give some speed back to our teams overall ability to get to the ball carrier and tackle.

The nickel and dime backs should come out of the 4 LBs. And I don't mean shift Mathews over and pull Martinez. Martinez is a tackler. That's what we need in the middle at all times. The LBs will be replaced with physical dbacks who can tackle like Jones at nearly 220... and Brice who likes to hit. As well as our two blue chip prospects Alexander and Jackson.... these guys should be able use their speed to help tackle. And even blitz sometimes...

I seen a clip of big dog mo bust through the line, and chase down Russell Wilson ( or some qb who can move) and smear him..... like a damn run away freight train...
Daniels, Clark, Wilkerson, Perry... one of the four will beat their guy on nearly every play.... qbs will be scrambling to save their lives.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wouldn't be surprised to see that personnel package situationally but it will not be an intended staple of the defense. You might see more of Wilkerson on the edge with an injury to Perry or Matthews.

If Matthews or Perry are forced to miss significant time I truly hope either Gilbert or Biegel are up to the task of adequately replacing one of them. There's no way Wilkerson would be productive rushing from the edge consistently.

I'm not against Mathews other than I think #12 should get his salary...

The Packers can afford to extend Rodgers' contract without having to release their best edge rusher.

Martinez is a tackling machine. Different from the under sized coverage ilb capers wanted. I like Ryan too, As a back up. Solid.

Martinez and Ryan both are decent defending the run but the Packers need an upgrade at coverage linebacker. Hence Gutekunst traded up to select Burks.

I also think the shift to bigger faster stronger, more physical secondary, will play into the equation. Lack of speed from dline ,with a physical secondary playing up, will give some speed back to our teams overall ability to get to the ball carrier and tackle.

Teams definitely don't plan on defensive backs being their primary tacklers.

The nickel and dime backs should come out of the 4 LBs. And I don't mean shift Mathews over and pull Martinez. Martinez is a tackler. That's what we need in the middle at all times. The LBs will be replaced with physical dbacks who can tackle like Jones at nearly 220... and Brice who likes to hit. As well as our two blue chip prospects Alexander and Jackson.... these guys should be able use their speed to help tackle. And even blitz sometimes...

I'm not sure I understand that correctly but if Pettine replaces Matthews and Perry with defensive backs in nickel and dime formations while Martinez stays on the field the unit will struggle to create any pass rush.

Daniels, Clark, Wilkerson, Perry... one of the four will beat their guy on nearly every play.... qbs will be scrambling to save their lives.

The Packers would struggle with 1) creating pressure from the edge from at least one side and 2) holding contain on that side of the ball on running plays or QB scrambles.

H

HardRightEdge

If Matthews or Perry are forced to miss significant time I truly hope either Gilbert or Biegel are up to the task of adequately replacing one of them. TherWie's no way Wilkerson would be productive rushing from the edge consistently.
That would be the hope but I wouldn't count on it. While Wilkerson is not an edge rusher; Gilbert and Biegel might not provide much in that department either. Wilkerson might prove to be the better option among less than optimal choices. Both of those OLBs look to me like their more natural position would be ILB.

H

HardRightEdge

Matthews failed as 3 down ILB in 2014 - 2015. When he's played there occasionally since then he's not been effective as a blitzer or in coverage. At this stage, Ryan would probably beat him in foot race. As for run defense, I've said it before and I'll say it again: how does a 3 down ILB go two consecutive games without making a tackle as was the case with Matthews? That's darn near impossible.

I don't know why the idea of playing him there persists when there's plenty of evidence that it does not work. He's still best suited for the edge and he's the primary reason the personnel does not fit a 4-3 alignment unless you bench $11.4 mil in cap and find an edge rusher not named Perry. That ain't gonna happen. Matthews playing as a down lineman? That should never happen.

Oh, they'll play that that first 4 man front you suggest on occasion, but Matthews would best be moved to the sidelines for a blow on those snaps.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews failed as 3 down ILB in 2014 - 2015. When he's played there occasionally since then he's not been effective as a blitzer or in coverage. At this stage, Ryan would probably beat him in foot race. As for run defense, I've said it before and I'll say it again: how does a 3 down ILB go two consecutive games without making a tackle as was the case with Matthews? That's darn near impossible.

I don't know why the idea of playing him there persists when there's plenty of evidence that it does not work. He's still best suited for the edge and he's the primary reason the personnel does not fit a 4-3 alignment unless you bench $11.4 mil in cap and find an edge rusher not named Perry. That ain't gonna happen. Matthews playing as a down lineman? That should never happen.

Oh, they'll play that that first 4 man front you suggest on occasion, but Matthews would best be moved to the sidelines for a blow on those snaps.

Actually Matthews could play weak side linebacker pretty well in a 4-3. He's REALLY good against the run when he's chasing. Granted, that's not the best use of his talents because he'd obviously be pretty limited in coverage but his existence does not prevent this team from playing the 4-3. I know people will scream that today's weakside linebackers need to be able to cover but the fact is that most linebackers aren't terrific in coverage if you're talking about getting them to cover an elite TE or receiving RB like Kamara. Perry would probably be a much better player in a 4-3 which is why I will never understand why Thompson drafted him; Perry flat out said prior to the draft he wanted to play DE but Thompson decided he was the best guy even if he didn't fit his coach's defense at all.

I would think the main reason that the Packers won't play 4-3 is because they don't have the right guys on the dline. You'd have Perry healthy for about 10 games at end but not really anyone else to play end. However, the Packers have a lot of big guys that the 3-4 needs who would play tackle in a 4-3 so 3-4 it is! All kind of moot anyway since teams scheme so much that 4-3 or 3-4 doesn't really mean that much anymore.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just about all of what you wrote there is nonsense.

Matthews was forced to play in the middle b/c the Packers as an organization couldn't care less about the ILB position in general; and refused to adequately address the position.

When Matthews played there, he played well, even if persistently misused by Capers.

Playing him in the middle now is nothing more than keeping your best players on the field.

Ryan is terrible, a Burks is one of the worst LB prospects I've ever seen.

Burks looks awesome in shorts and in drills, but on a football field he's a disaster.

I agree Matthews will do his share of spectating this year, and that he'll never be used with his hand in the dirt.

Have some hope for Gilbert and Martinez, but outside of those 2, the cupboard is pretty bare.

H

HardRightEdge

Just about all of what you wrote there is nonsense.

Matthews was forced to play in the middle b/c the Packers as an organization couldn't care less about the ILB position in general; and refused to adequately address the position.

When Matthews played there, he played well, even if persistently misused by Capers.

Playing him in the middle now is nothing more than keeping your best players on the field.

Burks looks awesome in shorts and in drills, but on a football field he's a disaster.

Yeah, it must be nonsense, just not the part about going two straight games without a tackle from the ILB position, right? Capers must have had him stand on his head those weeks. I had to go back and check, but Ryan ran faster at his Combine than Matthews did at his. Matthews couldn't break 4.7 at this point and probably not going back quite some time. When asked to cover he ends up chasing. Not that I believe Ryan is a solution is coverage; it was just a point of comparison.

If the Packers couldn't care less about the ILB position then why did they play Matthews there if he is "the best player on the field". That makes no sense.

Matthews being named to the Pro Bowl in 2015 on the basis of his ILB play was a joke.

I didn't mention Burks, but for the record he put up some pretty bad college tape.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, it must be nonsense, just not the part about going two straight games without a tackle from the ILB position, right? Capers must have had him stand on his head those weeks. I had to go back and check, but Ryan ran faster at his Combine than Matthews did at his. Matthews couldn't break 4.7 at this point and probably not going back quite some time. When asked to cover he ends up chasing. Not that I believe Ryan is a solution is coverage; it was just a point of comparison.

If the Packers couldn't care less about the ILB position then why did they play Matthews there if he is "the best player on the field". That makes no sense.

Matthews being named to the Pro Bowl in 2015 on the basis of his ILB play was a joke.

I didn't mention Burks, but for the record he put up some pretty bad college tape.

Have no idea what games you're talking about that you say Matthews had no tackles. If you have some links to the games - post them.

As for Ryan - he is not a good football player.

And as for Capers - he was a complete disaster in pretty much every way imaginable.

It is almost impossible to evaluate any player on defense with Capers as your DC.

Not sure what your Burks comment means.

n4t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have no idea what games you're talking about that you say Matthews had no tackles. If you have some links to the games - post them.

And as for Capers - he was a complete disaster in pretty much every way imaginable.

It is almost impossible to evaluate any player on defense with Capers as your DC.

Matthews is not an ILB. He never had the instincts to play inside. Among other things. Please stop.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter who is DC. I bet you still can't evaluate anything at all. :)

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews is not an ILB. He never had the instincts to play inside. Among other things. Please stop.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter who is DC. I bet you still can't evaluate anything at all. :)

Did I say Mattews should be an ILB, and that entails?? No, I didn't.

I said he should play inside in some alignments - there's a difference.

My guess is you were a big Capers cheerleader??

D

Deleted member 6794

That would be the hope but I wouldn't count on it. While Wilkerson is not an edge rusher; Gilbert and Biegel might not provide much in that department either. Wilkerson might prove to be the better option among less than optimal choices. Both of those OLBs look to me like their more natural position would be ILB.

The Packers should bring in a veteran free agent (Ayers most likely being the best available) if Gilbert and Biegel aren't up for the task before using Wilkerson as an edge rusher for the majority of the snaps.

Actually Matthews could play weak side linebacker pretty well in a 4-3. He's REALLY good against the run when he's chasing. Granted, that's not the best use of his talents because he'd obviously be pretty limited in coverage but his existence does not prevent this team from playing the 4-3. I know people will scream that today's weakside linebackers need to be able to cover but the fact is that most linebackers aren't terrific in coverage if you're talking about getting them to cover an elite TE or receiving RB like Kamara. Perry would probably be a much better player in a 4-3 which is why I will never understand why Thompson drafted him; Perry flat out said prior to the draft he wanted to play DE but Thompson decided he was the best guy even if he didn't fit his coach's defense at all.

Matthews isn't explosive enough to play weak side linebacker in a 4-3. While it's true most linebackers struggle to cover elite tight ends and receiving backs he wouldn't be able to keep up with average ones.

Perry was definitely a better fit for a 4-3 coming out of college but after losing weight during his stint with the Packers currently is best suited to line up at outside linebacker in a 3-4.

Ryan is an above average linebacker against the run but struggles in coverage. Burks on the other side could be a nice complement to Martinez and Ryan as he might excel on passing downs.

Burks might end up being the best coverage linebacker on the roster. I definitely don't want to have him on the field on running plays though.

Matthews didn't record a single tackle playing inside linebacker for 120 of 135 (88.9%) snaps for two consecutive games late in the 2015 season vs. Oakland and at Arizona. Needless to say he was moved back on the edge the following year.

Did I say Mattews should be an ILB, and that entails?? No, I didn't.

I said he should play inside in some alignments - there's a difference.

Matthews should solely be lined up inside to rush the passer. Unfortunately he hasn't been any good from there lately either.

H

HardRightEdge

You can google "Clay Matthews two consecutive games without a tackle". Anyway:

https://lombardiave.com/2015/12/29/clay-matthews-where-art-thou/

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/12438/year/2015

Jake Ryan is a decent football player. You just don't want him isolated in a lot, but not all, coverage matchups. You also don't want Matthews isolated in those same situations. Ryan is just ot a 3-down, 16 game, 50 snap guy.

You said, "just about all of what you wrote there was nonsense" including a comment on Burks, but I had not mentioned Burks. So I shared a thought on the matter. Of do I need to define "bad" or "college" or "tape"? There has been previous discussions of his exhibition of bad run defense against Alabama:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I think you can expect to see Ryan in base D and some nickel. The upside expectation for Burks this season would be some nickel and the dime coverages assuming the Jones experiment at ILB is over which appears to be the case. In fairness to Burks, Vandy moved him all over the place without letting him settle in any one position. Not being a freakish first round football talent, that's tough and bears some wait and see. But I think it's fair to say if he ever gets to more than rotational duty the hill he has to climb will not be ascended this season.

I also didn't share my thoughts on Capers in these exchanges. For your information, "Fire Capers" was on my to-do list since the conclusion of the 2014 season following a too generous probationary period after the Kaepernick romp-a-thon. Just because Capers became predictable to insighful HCs and OCs doesn't automatically mean Matthews can be better applied at ILB under a new DC.

In 2014 - 2015 Capers was 3-deep on the edge with Perry and Peppers. Putting Matthews in the middle was an attempt to get his best players on the field at the same time. I don't consider that effort to be a success. Unfortunately, Wilkerson would not be the same kind of edge player as Peppers, out of position actually, so the options are limited.

Will Matthews get some snaps in the middle as a pass rusher? Probably. Will it be a staple of the defense? Surely not.

Last edited by a moderator:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did anyone draft that Harris RB? He looks pretty good. Not sure you can really learn a lot from watching him play against Alabama. I hope the scouts saw something in Burks in other games. I'm not one to just go on stats from the combine.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't this
Teams definitely don't plan on defensive backs being their primary tacklers.
what this did?
Unlike most defensive formations that take their names from the number of defensive linemen and linebackers on the field (i.e. the 4–3 defense has 4 linemen and 3 linebackers), the name "46" originally came from the jersey number of Doug Plank, who was a starting strong safety for the Bears when Ryan developed the defense, a role typically played in the formation as a surrogate linebacker.

D

Deleted member 6794

Isn't this

what this did?

It should be obvious to everyone that teams don't want one of their defensive backs to lead the team in tackles. I'm not sure about why you bring up the 46 defense as that formation isn't used a lot in today's game anymore.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, playing against the nations top team, surrounded by little talent, and playing a new position, he didnt look good? I see every play the offensive line doing whatever they want. It makes playing ILB difficult when your OL are coming at you and the RB has 5 holes to choose from.

Try watching this:

This clip should not define him just as the Alabama game should not be the only evidence. In this clip I see a player with amazing quickness and strength and playing aggressively.

The talking heads talk of a player with great instincts. I dont see it in the bama tape, but it must be evident in other tapes or they wouldn't be saying it. I know that his amazing combine performance resulted in scouts and talking heads going back to the tapes (all of them) and they came away impressed.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts