Packers are about to get a lot younger in 2011

PackersFan28

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with most of the things except I do feel Driver has some left in him especially after that TD against the 49ers.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think one of our problems has been our team inexperience, with this year being the first in several seasons that we aren't the league's youngest team. We are the league's 5th youngest. The Yikes and Bears are 3rd and 4th oldest (rankings at start of season). We don't need to get any younger, so I hope we pick up some veterans to replace some that we will lose.

I think it's more important to put some emphasis on offensive and special teams coaching changes. The o-line and special teams play is very, very inconsistent throughout MM's tenure.

Of course, if MM wins the final 2 games, and we go deep into the playoffs all the criticism will fade away.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If driver struggles this bad this year I dont want him on the field in another year. He is so far removed from what he once was. At this point he is drastically overpaid and underperforming.

PackerChef

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If driver struggles this bad this year I dont want him on the field in another year. He is so far removed from what he once was. At this point he is drastically overpaid and underperforming.

I don't agree with this... I feel that although his catches and production on the field may have went down noticeably, he still sets the tone for the entire WR unit. He is their unquestioned leader, and a savy vet. Obviously TT appreciates him, as we just signed him to an extension. I think that the chances of DD being gone after this year is more like 5-10%.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver wants to play and TT/MM want to keep him. Unless 2 rookies come out of nowhere and push him to 6th on the depth chart - he will be playing in GB next season.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
What's wrong with Driver's play? He's contributing more than Finley isn't he?
Just like that people forget about the play in San Francisco. Certain players disappear when the focus of the offense is on something else, DD runs those slot slants everyone calls for, but Finley isn't pulling defenders away, no team is respecting Quarless enough for him to do the same. If Quarless catches more than he drops it would be different, you'd see more of DD.
There's nothing wrong with Driver despite his injury.
Remember Jennings kind of disappeared last year when they focused on getting Finley the ball.

OP
OP
aaronqb

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's wrong with Driver's play? He's contributing more than Finley isn't he?
Just like that people forget about the play in San Francisco. Certain players disappear when the focus of the offense is on something else, DD runs those slot slants everyone calls for, but Finley isn't pulling defenders away, no team is respecting Quarless enough for him to do the same. If Quarless catches more than he drops it would be different, you'd see more of DD.
There's nothing wrong with Driver despite his injury.
Remember Jennings kind of disappeared last year when they focused on getting Finley the ball.

DD is the man

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Finley is injured, so he is not contributing right now. The play against SF was unbelievable, but there isn't much else to hang your hat on. He's not getting open as often as he did and he is dropping more passes and generally not getting YAC like before.

Whether this is injury-related or not, I don't know.

But, I think there's a decent chance he isn't back next year. He earns $4 million per year and he is playing like a #3 receiver right now. It's also hard to argue his play will improve at his age.

If James Jones signs elsewhere, then I would expect he would be back next year. If Jones stays in GB, then we have a lot of $$ tied up in the WR position and he might not be back.
Thank you, that is exactly my point, any coach will tell you that being available to play is paramount. You can't help if you can't play, regardless of potential. Barry Sanders for one game a year is nice, but it's not gonna get you to the promised land.
I am confused as to how you think he's playing like a #3 receiver. He's always been the slot guy. Bernt's best pass was the slant, but Aaron's is the deep out or comeback. You play to your strengths, but DD is always there if you need him.
Again, with Finley in there, he pulls LBs with him so leaving DD open. The team has to adapt, he'll be back next year and do well.

Reaction score
It should be 0% on Donald Driver. He is the true leader on the team and he isn't going anywhere. He will keep playing for the packers until he feels he can't anymore. Even though he dropped in production the packers won't get rid of him

Members online

Latest posts