Packer writing #3

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers defense has allowed an average of 20.8 points in regulation during the last five playoff games. In my opinion with Rodgers being the team´s QB that should have been good enough for more than two wins.
Well, I would direct to the 4th. quarters and OT. Winners close. Or if you prefer, getting blown out from the coin flip in the Kaepernick romp-a-thon. When not holding the line, they've been torched. Among other things, what this defense lacks is a vocal leader in the back 7 not named Mathews, who isn't even in the back 7 anymore. The mistake putting Matthews in the middle is the same mistake you'd make asking a virtuoso soloist to conduct the orchestra.

You can't count on a linemen like Daniels in that role. Those guys have no idea what's going on behind them.

Not drafting Ragland is regrettable.

As it stands, Capers is the defensive leader. Capers valued Hawk not for on-field personal presence; he was counted on orchestrate the complexities. When the chips are down or when things go wrong, you need somebody on the field to demand accountability and keep the sh*t together.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

I wanted to point out that, while rare, a backup winning a seasons is not out of the question. I understand the 'not making the playoffs' statement to support your position. However, I feel that a team losing someone like Tom Brady in the first game, going 11-5 for the season and missing the playoffs on a tiebreaker with Cassell, makes a pretty good case that it's not 'out of the question'.
In projecting the future, if past history indicates an occurrence is rare, then your default position should be "it ain't gonna happen." To do otherwise, or as you said discount absolutes, falls into the category of "pipe dream".

H

HardRightEdge

That´s only true when the starter has to be replaced during a game. The coaching staff designs the game plan around the talents of the backup quarterback once it´s clear the starter will miss next week´s contest.
I don't really need instruction on how game plans are constructed. I could have used the term "scheme planning", but nobody would know what that meant.

When digging into the back of the playbook for, in the case of Hundley, plays going back to West Coast roots with timing passes and ball control, with maybe some called QB runs thrown in, it's more problematic than game planning. You're introducing plays the rest of the squad is not accustomed to running or even practicing much. And the full gamut of options with Rodgers becomes sharply limited with Hundley (or any backup), which tends toward predictability.

If the defense doesn't win the game for him, Hundley will rise or fall on his legs and ad lib ability when he ditches the pocket into playground mode.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, I would direct to the 4th. quarters and OT. Winners close. Or if you prefer, getting blown out from the coin flip in the Kaepernick romp-a-thon.

There´s no doubt the defense was responsible for the 2012 playoff loss against the Niners. I don´t put the majority of the blame on the unit for any other since then though.

Members online

Latest posts