Packer writing #3

Brendon12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Into the OTA we go

Good day green bay fans, after day 1 of the the OTA how did we look? As a fan you wanna make sure I believe more then anything you survive the offseason with minimum injuries and in the process of course improve on what your team needs.

I hope to look into each position week by week, I'm going to skip over the quarterback position for the most part as I hope Aaron Rodgers stays healthy and we don't need to cross that road, yet I will give you this short preview.

I'll go over that position today and then move on to each other position throughout the offseason. Aaron has been in command now for awhile and while he did have offseason knee surgery it shouldn't be anything to worry about as he will be the franchise quarterback until Hopefully his 40s.

Having a solid backup is important as any teams knows that at any time a "freak" injury may occur. Brett will get enough reps that Green Bay will keep him for trade bait perhaps later on. The number 3 quarterback will either be Ryan Williams or the packers could bring in a vet as camp moves along .

As always thanks for your time this has been captain cheddar reporting.

Brendon
Bentley

D

Deleted member 6794

Having a solid backup is important as any teams knows that at any time a "freak" injury may occur. Brett will get enough reps that Green Bay will keep him for trade bait perhaps later on. The number 3 quarterback will either be Ryan Williams or the packers could bring in a vet as camp moves along.

Hopefully Rodgers is able to stay healthy meaning Hundley doesn't get any significant playing time. That would make it close to impossible to trade the backup for any value.

I'm inteigued by Joe Callahan, the undrafted rookie out of Wesley who became the first QB in Division III history to throw for more than 5,000 yards last season. He would be an ideal candidate to stash on the practice squad.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully Rodgers is able to stay healthy meaning Hundley doesn't get any significant playing time. That would make it close to impossible to trade the backup for any value.

I'm inteigued by Joe Callahan, the undrafted rookie out of Wesley who became the first QB in Division III history to throw for more than 5,000 yards last season. He would be an ideal candidate to stash on the practice squad.

Ryan Mallett cost the Pats a 3rd rounder, they received a conditional 7th round pick when they traded him to Houston. I'm very curious to see if Brett H. carries over what he did last pre-season. It's a comfort to have a capable backup, just ask those Cowboys.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...allett-traded-to-houston-texans-from-patriots

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm very curious to see if Brett H. carries over what he did last pre-season. It's a comfort to have a capable backup, just ask those Cowboys.

It´s a must to have a serviceable backup QB, just ask the 2013 Packers.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It´s a must to have a serviceable backup QB, just ask the 2013 Packers.

Well aware of 2013, but I say the '15 Cowboys b/c they were lights out with Romo and literally lost every game after he was injured. It was an epic collapse. At least in 2013 Lacy somehow managed to pull all the weight as a Rook.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well aware of 2013, but I say the '15 Cowboys b/c they were lights out with Romo and literally lost every game after he was injured. It was an epic collapse. At least in 2013 Lacy somehow managed to pull all the weight as a Rook.

Well, the Packers went 2-5-1 without Rodgers in 2013 and only made the playoffs because of all the other teams in the division struggling.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I've watched as much of him as I can online (not a terrible amount out there) but I love his pure passing skills, his academic smarts is an awesome sign of being able to digest the playbook. Just a note, 1 of only 2 players ever in college ball to throw for over 55TDs and over 5000 yards passing.

He is the last man to give up should a turnover happen and was seen tracking down guys and even stripping the ball out at times.

He's also got the Brett Favre type improve tossing down and grit to run as well not fearing tacklers.....obviously this may change not playing at a D-III level any longer.

Joe is a huge supporter of local foundations and community programs...so he's a good guy.

Cons Do exist:

-Obviously level of competition is huge. DIII isn't a great test at times of someone's skillset. Will he be overwhelmed?

-Size....while his height of just over 6 foot (6'1'') isn't bad he needs to add some muscle to his mere 215lb frame.

Great practice squad gem maybe for us to have simmering.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Brett's optimism, but this team is finished as a playoff threat if Rodgers misses significant playing time. Flynn, our last capable backup QB, had a QB rating of 85 in 2013, not much different from Osweiler's performance last season (and much better than Manning's). But the Packers couldn't win without Rodgers, and Denver did. You need a defense like Denver's to win without your starting QB; especially one with Rodgers' abilities.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Brett's optimism, but this team is finished as a playoff threat if Rodgers misses significant playing time. Flynn, our last capable backup QB, had a QB rating of 85 in 2013, not much different from Osweiler's performance last season (and much better than Manning's). But the Packers couldn't win without Rodgers, and Denver did. You need a defense like Denver's to win without your starting QB; especially one with Rodgers' abilities.

With a healthy Lacy and an improved Defense I agree a SB is probably out of the realm but this team is better suited "if" Brett were to take over should the rest of the team be healthy. Cook here now and RR holding down short range passing + a healthy Nelson and add in a skinny Lacy and one could have more success than say just last year if AR went down.

Not too mention I think our D continues to improve against the pass....against the run we will see.

D

Deleted member 6794

There´s no doubt the Packers making the playoffs would be extremely unlikely if Rodgers suffers a season ending injury. Nevertheless it is important to have a backup QB capable of winning some games in case #12 misses part of the year to keep the team in the hunt for a postseason berth.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So far Hundley has proven to be a good pick, but I highly doubt he is ready to come in and help the Pack to be any better then .500 if he was forced into action this year. So like Captain said, the Packers go as far as Rodgers can take them. The ideal situation for Hundley would be to see some regular season 4th quarter action with some starters during a blow out (hopefully in the Packers favor). If he can look good doing that, it will not only bode well for having a rock solid #2, but increases his value as trade bait, if that is what he ends up being.

I hope we don't need to carry 3 QB's on the active roster. Picking up a vet QB for your #3 locks up that roster spot and IMO, as long as Rodgers and Hundley are healthy, not needed. I would prefer just to have someone like Callahan or Williams developing on the PS and if catastrophe strikes, you find that vet. when needed.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Poker I agree with your concept of not bringing in a #3 vet. You do that if Rodgers goes down MAYBE. I think Callahan makes PS, I am pretty high on the kid, and I had him as a 7th rounder honestly despite being DIII.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Joe Callahan.....as with most of the film you see on guys who excelled playing in Division II on down to the German Football league, its hard to really know what you are getting. I try not to get too excited about any of them, until I see what they do against full grown NFL caliber players. But from the little I read, the Packers seem pretty excited about his future, so you never know.

H

HardRightEdge

Into the OTA we go

Good day green bay fans, after day 1 of the the OTA how did we look? As a fan you wanna make sure I believe more then anything you survive the offseason with minimum injuries and in the process of course improve on what your team needs.

I hope to look into each position week by week, I'm going to skip over the quarterback position for the most part as I hope Aaron Rodgers stays healthy and we don't need to cross that road, yet I will give you this short preview.

I'll go over that position today and then move on to each other position throughout the offseason. Aaron has been in command now for awhile and while he did have offseason knee surgery it shouldn't be anything to worry about as he will be the franchise quarterback until Hopefully his 40s.

Having a solid backup is important as any teams knows that at any time a "freak" injury may occur. Brett will get enough reps that Green Bay will keep him for trade bait perhaps later on. The number 3 quarterback will either be Ryan Williams or the packers could bring in a vet as camp moves along .

As always thanks for your time this has been captain cheddar reporting.

Brendon
Bentley
When you said "Brett", I had a flashback. It was very brief but quite frightening.

H

HardRightEdge

So far Hundley has proven to be a good pick, but I highly doubt he is ready to come in and help the Pack to be any better then .500 if he was forced into action this year.
If a backup to a franchise QB does that well, any team should be happy. The object of such a backup is not to win a season...that's out of the question. You cannot allocate that much money to one position; you'd be paying what would be somebody else's starter.

The object is to win against weaker opponents when there is a less-than-season-ending injury to the franchise. 3-3 over a 6 game stretch would be a big win.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If a backup to a franchise QB does that well, any team should be happy. The object of such a backup is not to win a season...that's out of the question. You cannot allocate that much money to one position; you'd be paying what would be somebody else's starter.

The object is to win against weaker opponents when there is a less-than-season-ending injury to the franchise. 3-3 over a 6 game stretch would be a big win.

Agreed. However, a team like the Packers, who's offense relies heavily on Rodgers, would be lucky to go 3-3 under Hundley. A good team who either relies more on their defense or their running game and less on a FHOF QB is probably not going to see as big of drop off in production if they have to play their #2.

Also, the timing of an injury to #12 could derail a season. Obviously, you can recover from a 3-3 start. But Rodgers going down for too long mid Dec., would probably end the season.

But you are right, it's a trade off. Put all the money you can afford at the QB position and 1 guy, and that one guy better be able to play at a high level for a majority of the season to come out ahead.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

2008 Patriots?

D

Deleted member 6794

Joe Callahan.....as with most of the film you see on guys who excelled playing in Division II on down to the German Football league, its hard to really know what you are getting. I try not to get too excited about any of them, until I see what they do against full grown NFL caliber players. But from the little I read, the Packers seem pretty excited about his future, so you never know.

Here´s some more information about Joe Callahan:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ollege-quarterback-b99713787z1-377206321.html

Agreed. However, a team like the Packers, who's offense relies heavily on Rodgers, would be lucky to go 3-3 under Hundley. A good team who either relies more on their defense or their running game and less on a FHOF QB is probably not going to see as big of drop off in production if they have to play their #2.

I agree that it would be difficult for the Packers to go .500 with Rodgers not able to play but it´s not impossible as the team went 2-2-1 with Flynn in 2013.

H

HardRightEdge

Also, the timing of an injury to #12 could derail a season. Obviously, you can recover from a 3-3 start. But Rodgers going down for too long mid Dec., would probably end the season.

But you are right, it's a trade off. Put all the money you can afford at the QB position and 1 guy, and that one guy better be able to play at a high level for a majority of the season to come out ahead.
The operative phrases in my post were "happy" and "against weaker competition".

We don't know what Hundley will do. All we've seen so far, however promising, is a #3 QB in preseason playing against 2nd. and 3rd. stringers, many of whom are likely not in the NFL. It's kind of like a watching a college bowl game against players do not have a firm grasp of their scheme. He came in with a rep for short pass accuracy and the ability to run, and we saw some of that.

If a vet backup is to be contemplated, it should have happened already. If you wait to see Hundley in preseason, it's already too late. At that point, bringing a failed starting QB as a backup would be waste of cap.

What would need to happen is for the defense to step it up in support of Hundley game managing a ball control offense against weaker opponents.

A championship is not in the cards without an improved defense regardless of whose at QB. Expecting the Packers to simply outscore playoff-caliber opponents for 3 or 4 games in succession has not worked, and there's no reason to believe it will in the future.

D

Deleted member 6794

A championship is not in the cards without an improved defense regardless of whose at QB. Expecting the Packers to simply outscore playoff-caliber opponents for 3 or 4 games in succession has not worked, and there's no reason to believe it will in the future.

The Packers defense has allowed an average of 20.8 points in regulation during the last five playoff games. In my opinion with Rodgers being the team´s QB that should have been good enough for more than two wins.

H

HardRightEdge

[QUOTE="captainWIMM, post: 666708, member: 6794I agree that it would be difficult for the Packers to go .500 with Rodgers not able to play but it´s not impossible as the team went 2-2-1 with Flynn in 2013.[/QUOTE]
Flynn was the ideal backup. Steeped in the system from day 1 in the NFL. Cheap. For all his faults, be it arm strength or work ethic, he was a gamer who could roll out of bed and play.

There is one thing Flynn had that it would seem Hundley would provide. Backup QBs are thrown on the field with players they've only worked with in practice. Things are going to break down. The game plan was designed for somebody else. The backup needs to be able to ad lib, that gamer quality. We've seen Hundley can move the chains with his legs, so he's got that going for him.

On the bright side, Hundley's an upgrade over Tolzien, a studied, mechanical pocket passer with little in the way of legs or imagination when the play goes playground out of the pocket, that latter quality being the primary attribute that recommended Flynn and which Hundley seems to have in a very early assessment.

Let's see how Hundley does against some 1st. and 2nd. teamers in preseason.

D

Deleted member 6794

Backup QBs are thrown on the field with players they've only worked with in practice. Things are going to break down. The game plan was designed for somebody else. The backup needs to be able to ad lib, that gamer quality.

That´s only true when the starter has to be replaced during a game. The coaching staff designs the game plan around the talents of the backup quarterback once it´s clear the starter will miss next week´s contest.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You went back 8 years and came up with a team that did not make the playoffs.

Only because I hate absolutes in sports discussions. When you said
The object of such a backup is not to win a season...that's out of the question.
, I wanted to point out that, while rare, a backup winning a seasons is not out of the question. I understand the 'not making the playoffs' statement to support your position. However, I feel that a team losing someone like Tom Brady in the first game, going 11-5 for the season and missing the playoffs on a tiebreaker with Cassell, makes a pretty good case that it's not 'out of the question'.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts