Packer Forum People Are Not.

Packula

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
I have now been in Milwaukee for three weeks and spoke to many Packer Fans in local bars on Brady Street, as well in small restaurants.

This long weekend I went up to Marquette WI. (Population 185) I fished Puckaway Lake and met many Packer Fans in this small town and not one of them *****ed about T.T.

So far I have not met one person in Milwaukee or Marquette who hated T.T. So far I have not met one person who *****ed about him.

However, So far I have met many people who want the Packers to win.

So far I have met many Packer Fans, and all of them just want to talk about how good they will be next year because they have improved. They want to talk about going from 8 and 8 to the NFC Championship with the Defence. They want to talk about next year and how they are looking forward to just watching the games. Seeing the Packers play in the bar with their buddy's or at home with the family.

The people I met are not radical Internet bloggers. The Internet may indeed attract the radical on any issue including T.T.

What I have seen so far, with my own eyes, is great fans who are positive about the team. Fans who just say, "Next Year"

There is a difference between Packer Fans on the Internet and the Packer Fans who are not on the end of a fiber-optic cable but are real people in Wisconsin.

There really is a huge difference between real life and the Internet.

I would have loved to find a Packer Fan who wanted to discuss and debate with me on how I feel that T.T. is taking the right path. So far every one has agreed with me.

Three weeks... I have not found a T.T. Hater in person.

R.P.

I'll be totally honest with you: I'm much more opinionated about the Packers since joining internet forums than I was for all those years before.

That's a good thing and a bad thing.

As a good thing, I understand that game a lot more. There are some pretty smart cookies out there who know more than me, and they will call me when one of my opinions is straying from reality. They will also just plain challenge another opinion.

You don't get that out on the lake in da U.P., ya hey.

But, yes, it is also a bad thing, because you do get overly opinionated and having a bunch of people agreeing,disagreeing,and taking sides all factors in to a sometimes unhealthy level of fandom.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
I have now been in Milwaukee for three weeks and spoke to many Packer Fans in local bars on Brady Street, as well in small restaurants.

This long weekend I went up to Marquette WI. (Population 185) I fished Puckaway Lake and met many Packer Fans in this small town and not one of them *****ed about T.T.

So far I have not met one person in Milwaukee or Marquette who hated T.T. So far I have not met one person who *****ed about him.

However, So far I have met many people who want the Packers to win.

So far I have met many Packer Fans, and all of them just want to talk about how good they will be next year because they have improved. They want to talk about going from 8 and 8 to the NFC Championship with the Defence. They want to talk about next year and how they are looking forward to just watching the games. Seeing the Packers play in the bar with their buddy's or at home with the family.

The people I met are not radical Internet bloggers. The Internet may indeed attract the radical on any issue including T.T.

What I have seen so far, with my own eyes, is great fans who are positive about the team. Fans who just say, "Next Year"

There is a difference between Packer Fans on the Internet and the Packer Fans who are not on the end of a fiber-optic cable but are real people in Wisconsin.

There really is a huge difference between real life and the Internet.

I would have loved to find a Packer Fan who wanted to discuss and debate with me on how I feel that T.T. is taking the right path. So far every one has agreed with me.

Three weeks... I have not found a T.T. Hater in person.

R.P.

I'll be totally honest with you: I'm much more opinionated about the Packers since joining internet forums than I was for all those years before.

That's a good thing and a bad thing.

As a good thing, I understand that game a lot more. There are some pretty smart cookies out there who know more than me, and they will call me when one of my opinions is straying from reality. They will also just plain challenge another opinion.

You don't get that out on the lake in da U.P., ya hey.

But, yes, it is also a bad thing, because you do get overly opinionated and having a bunch of people agreeing,disagreeing,and taking sides all factors in to a sometimes unhealthy level of fandom.
Ya hey dere! HOLY WHUH!!! :rotflmao:
You are SO right on your post!
I also have been more involved in the Packers during the off season since i have been on the internet. In years past, i didn't think that much about it till the pre season started.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not a fan of Teddy Smalls, but I do understand that you cant build a team in a year or two. I was very happy at the things TT did last year in the draft and in FA, but this year he took a big crap. I am very disappointed in the moves or lack of moves he did this year in free agency and I know its early, but I thought this years draft was pathetic. I hope I am proven wrong.

I think your getting ahead of yourself here a little. The guys chosen in this draft were picked for a reason. We don't know yet how much of a contribution they will make until they get the chance.

We have a defensive scheme that asks the D linmen to swallow up the offensive line and that is what Harrell is supposed to be excellent at. Jackson played in the same type of zone system and showed enough to leap over other backs that did not play in the zone.

It's about picking players that do the things well that fits in the system your team runs. What good does it do to pick a RB that has had great numbers but whose stye doesn't work in ours?

In a weak draft TT played the percentages and took players whose strong points work well with what we do. I don't think thats as dumb as many have chosen to make it.

We will see soon enough.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hoos said:
Say what you want, but blindly supporting management does not make you a good fan. You can be critical of management and still support your team. Until TT proves that he can build a winner in GB I will keep my blinders off. I'm not saying he can't do it, but I have the right to have my own opinion without being a bad fan. No one else here knows how the season will play out, to claim that you are know TT is doing the right thing is speculation at this point, just like thinking that he is doing a bad job.

Is there a reason you posted this right after mine? I listed a number of reasons why I am still objectively supportive of Thompson. There's nothing "blind" about it. We just disagree, I guess. Which is fine. A lot of people look at "12-20 over two years" and think it is the most important factor determining where the team is heading this year and next.

Sorry for digging up an old thread but I just wanted to clarify my position and I haven't had time to read the site lately. I was responding to OPs general depiction of a "good fan" being someone that is always positive and supportive of the team, not your post. It is my belief that a "good fan" can also be critical of management and still support the team. Ted hasn't proven anything in GB IMO, and until he does, I will remain rational and critique his activity/inactivity.

I understand that he needs time to develop this team, and has not been given enough for a fair evaluation, but there is nothing wrong with trying to evaluate him along the way. There are many things that Joe Dumars did along the way to building the Pistons that I did not agree with. However, I did not abandon the team and was happy to realize he knows more about running the Pistons than I do. At this point he has proven his competence and I am more likely to give him leeway when I don't agree with what he has done. If TT generates a track record like that in GB, then by all means, I will say "I don't agree, but he's proven me wrong before." I sincerely hope to be saying these words in reference to TT in 2-3 years, but I am not sold at this point.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So those fans who don't agree with TT's decision making, will you now root for the Packers to lose the next season so that you can be right?
If the Packers lost 12 or more games next season, would you stop being a Packer fan?

And if they win? Does it make a difference on ANYONE's opinion of TT?

May be I am one of those Packer fans who don't care if TT or anyone else is making the decisions... Blind Loyalty?

Justify your opinions anyway that you want but the bottom line is, it is easy to find fault in anyone... and it doesn't make you any less of a Packerfan if you dislike TT. However, the fan next to you who is more accepting is probably going to be a lot happier than you will be as a Packer fan.

My 2 cents, for whatever that is worth...

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Schmitty said:
I am not a fan of Teddy Smalls, but I do understand that you cant build a team in a year or two. I was very happy at the things TT did last year in the draft and in FA, but this year he took a big crap. I am very disappointed in the moves or lack of moves he did this year in free agency and I know its early, but I thought this years draft was pathetic. I hope I am proven wrong.

I think your getting ahead of yourself here a little. The guys chosen in this draft were picked for a reason. We don't know yet how much of a contribution they will make until they get the chance.

We have a defensive scheme that asks the D linmen to swallow up the offensive line and that is what Harrell is supposed to be excellent at. Jackson played in the same type of zone system and showed enough to leap over other backs that did not play in the zone.

It's about picking players that do the things well that fits in the system your team runs. What good does it do to pick a RB that has had great numbers but whose stye doesn't work in ours?

In a weak draft TT played the percentages and took players whose strong points work well with what we do. I don't think thats as dumb as many have chosen to make it.

We will see soon enough.

I guess what ticks me off is that TT said he always picks the best player available no matter what the position and in my view and many other Packer fans TT didnt do that. But like you said we will see. I hope Harrell can make a big impact.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, in TT's view maybe Harrell WAS the best player available. He's the one that gets paid for the decisions, we are only watching to see what happens.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
Schmitty said:

We will see soon enough.

I guess what ticks me off is that TT said he always picks the best player available no matter what the position and in my view and many other Packer fans TT didnt do that. But like you said we will see. I hope Harrell can make a big impact.

Schmitty,

I don't think the Harrell pick could be more of an indicator that TT will take who the best player (on their own board) is at the time. You also have to consider the best player "that fits with what we do" factor. It does no good to pick the best player if he can't do what you need him to do in your system.

I think this guy will make all the LB's better and help them win the line of scrimmage battle because this guy doesn't move back much. We struggled against good run "D"s that made it obvious we were going to have to pass.

Hopefully we will be returning the favor.

Members online

Latest posts