Outlook for Sunday: A low-scoring affair

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just read where the Eagles may have up to three starting O-linemen missing for Sunday's game. Two of them are doubtful and one of them is questionable. And of course, they are without McNabb and Owens.

Considering the Pack's offensive struggles, this could be a very low-scoring game. The Packer defense should be able to bounce back after their second-half letdown on Monday night. But I expect the Eagles to play better now that the whole T.O. mess is behind them. And this is the kind of game where a scrambling, scatter-armed QB like McMahon can get the job done. So I have to go with the Eagles in this one. Probably a really ugly score, like 13-9. I hope I'm wrong. We've had enough bad memories from Philadelphia these past couple years.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I don’t know my heart wants the pack to beat Philly, but my head seems to prefer that we loose and so we are in a position to get a lower draft pick.... Maybe next year will come the sweatiest revenge.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
finally some body talking about the Philly game...

Here is an article I wrote for packerchatters:

Meaningful or Meaningless Game??? It Depends Upon the Eyes of the Beholder...

Oh how times have changed.

Coming into the 2005 season the November 27th Green Bay Packer Vs Philadelphia Eagles rematch was a game that many had marked on their calendars. The NFL, nodding to this fact, slotted it into the prime doubleheader 3:15 time, expecting to cash in on a ratings bonanza.

Most preseason prognosticators saw the Eagles as the ‘Crème de la Crème’ of the NFC and their return to the Super Bowl a near certainty. By looking at the outcomes from the previous 3 tilts between the two clubs, most doubted the Packers ability to block the Eagles coronation run, but with Brett Favre at the helm and the Packers potent offense, the Packers were seen as a test game that would lend clarity to the NFC race in week 12 (game 11) of the 2005 season.

For the Packers it was viewed as a hump game – knowing that any real chance of getting a decent seating in the playoffs and hope to move on, the Eagles were a monkey the Packers would need to get off their backs. Add to that, many believed that new Defensive coordinator Bates might just have his defense firing on all cylinders by this game. Yes, it was a game many looked forward to…

FLASHBACK: Monday November 10, 2003

The Monday night home field 17 to 14 loss to the Eagles was the game that many point to as marking the end of the Lambeau Field mystique. Despite Ahman Green's 192-yard rushing outburst, a club record, including a 45-yard touchdown burst put the Packers ahead, 14 – 10 with minutes to play, the defense collapsed down the stretch, giving up a 65 yards drive in eight plays that ended with McNabb to Todd Pinkston TD pass with 27 seconds to play.

The Eagles left Lambeau Field looking like a team-of-destiny and on a roll, while the Packers (and their 70,291 fans attending) were left for dead in the water following this match between NFC titans.

FLASHBACK II: Sunday January 10, 2004…

… a day that will live in infamy for Packer fans.

The Packers, in particularly Brett Favre, had become both the Nation’s and Destiny’s Darling heading into Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia on this beautiful January afternoon. Not only had the Packers pulled out a miracle resurrection over the last two months, even the shocking loss of Brett’s father just weeks before seemed unable to stop Sherman’s and the Pack’s march to the Super Bowl.

Four plays will be forever cast into the coulda, shoulda, woulda bin of football lore when history reflects upon this BIG playoff game. Count them:

1. ONE With the Packers once again gouging the Eagles run defense with their power running game, a late second-quarter drive of 66 yards came down Mike Sherman rejecting the opportunity to play safe and take a 17 to 7 lead into the locker room at the half by taking the sure FG. Instead he ran the team’s signature Power Play off right tackle on 4th down inches from the goal line. Mark Tauscher – perhaps the Packers most reliable lineman – missed his block and Mark Simoneau stuffed Green still inches from the goal line.

2. TWO Again on a running tear, the Packers rushed 9 times on a 10 play drive, moving from their 16 to fourth and less than a yard with 2:30 left in the game at the Philly 41. Gasping for air the eagles called their 2nd timeout and staggered their goal line defense onto the field. Leading by 3 and haunted by the decision right before the half, Mike Sherman opted to forgo the 4th down mano y mano showdown – that if successful would ice the game – instead putting the game in the hands of Josh Bidwell. Bidwell instead kicked the ball out of the endzone, breathing life back in to McNabb and his Eagle offense.

3. Three The game was now in the hands of the defense. Yes, the same defense that had faltered two months to the day before. But things looked good as GB put the Eagles in a 4 and 26 situation. I am sure all Packer fans shutter when they think of improbable collapse of the defense that allowed Freddie Mitchell’s miraculous catch of a desperation toss by Donavon McNabb. The play enabled the Eagles to tie the score with 2 seconds left on a Akers 37 yard field goal.

4. FOUR After losing the toss, the Packers defense did step up and quickly forced an Eagles’ punt early in overtime. Destiny once again seemed to be smiling upon the Pack, at least until Brett Favre made a killer mistake on his first offensive play of overtime. Facing a blitz, he refused to take the sack or throw the ball out of bounds (which would have let the Packers live to fight another play), instead he heaved the ball far over his receiver’s (Walker) head and into the arms of Brian Dawkins, which he easily returned 35 yards sealing the Packers fate and ending their seemingly destiny aided run to the Super Bowl.

FLASHBACK III: Sunday December 4, 2004…

After almost 11 months of gnawing upon a host of lingering “what-ifsâ€

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice write up Bruce.

Let me add that the January 2004 game was played by a Brett Favre with a fractured thumb on his throwing hand.

The game Sunday proves that games are played in the NFL and that neither team wants to lose. This bilge about losing to gain draft position is just bilge by _________ (fill in the blank appropriate to you) "fans" that do not understand football players and coaches who enjoy their employment.

Bruce, I think there will be at least 10 punts in the game. Underwood and Dendy likely to be the nickel and dime backs. Ron Wolf's assessment of the level of talent is correct for this preseason level competition.

I will still be cheering on the Pack.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
Nice write up Bruce.

Let me add that the January 2004 game was played by a Brett Favre with a fractured thumb on his throwing hand.

I seem to recall the Pack swept the month of December 2003 with that broken thumb...

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great article!
I know the Green Bay Packers won't lay down no matter what is or isn't on the line. They may not be able to put alot of talent on the field at this time but these guys have alot of heart.
Go Pack Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:
Great article!
I know the Green Bay Packers won't lay down no matter what is or isn't on the line. They may not be able to put alot of talent on the field at this time but these guys have alot of heart.
Go Pack Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. The question in the title was rhetorical, because all games are meaningful.

In football, like life, you grow until you die. As soon as the game loses meaning to you, you are dead as a football player, coach...

Sadly, there are a number of the walking dead drawing salaries in the NFL.

Whether fans understand or not, times like these tell a lot about players, coaches and teams.

• Do players and coaches still have each other’s backs on and off the field?

• What is their competitive spirit?

• Does the team pull together as a team or splinter into individuals and egos?

• How do your players and coaches respond when their backs are against the wall?

The answers to these questions tell a great deal about the character and hearts of each player, coach and the organization.

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live in pennsylvania,and I won't miss this game. I will have some friends over and watch the Packers win! The Eagles are really beat up as bad as the Packers,so I agree it might be a low scoring game.GO PACKERS!!!! :beer: :pals: :kickcan:

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
eastcoastpacker said:
I live in pennsylvania,and I won't miss this game. I will have some friends over and watch the Packers win! The Eagles are really beat up as bad as the Packers,so I agree it might be a low scoring game.GO PACKERS!!!! :beer: :pals: :kickcan:

ECP, where the heck have you been, good to see you...

yeah i plan on watching the game with some eagle fans...should be a good time, but i remember when the schedule came out i said this game was "hopefully a W to bury the eagles in a dissapointing injury riddled season"...well...

this will be a low scoring affair for us...i mean, i dont see the packers scoring over 17 on the road against a defense that...isnt as good as years past but still has some talented playmakers

the key to winning is to hold the eagles under two touchdowns...and if we eliminate the big plays we will do that...no big scrambles from mike mcmahon because thats about all he can do...and dont let reggie brown catch the ball and run...ditto westbrook...

i actually think we can get some running established on the eagles, if we can it will be to our advantage because the eagles have gotten off-balance on D lately, especially vs. the giants...if we spread the ball around, stay balanced, i think we win...this will feel better than "just going 3-8", winning on the field where 4th and 26 took place

pick: Packers 17 Eagles 14
(the score in '04 if sherman goes for it on 4th down at the 38

Members online

Latest posts