OT QB sneak and end of runs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It used to be that pushing a runner from the back was illegal. Now it is done all the time. It sometimes looks like a rugby game out there imho. I think it should not be allowed on a QB sneak and on a running play, forward progress should be called when another offensive player starts to push the pile forward. Anybody like it when they start scrumming out there?

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It used to be that pushing a runner from the back was illegal. Now it is done all the time. It sometimes looks like a rugby game out there imho. I think it should not be allowed on a QB sneak and on a running play, forward progress should be called when another offensive player starts to push the pile forward. Anybody like it when they start scrumming out there?
The rule has been around since 2006, but I think it's an interesting risk/reward scenario. I personally wouldn't want a 380lb lineman (or multiples) throwing their body at my franchise QB back/legs/tripping and landing on an ankle or planted foot while the rest of the team on the other side is doing the same.

My guess is we will likely see more scrums in the near future that have big old backup players/fullbacks or tight ends in there to get smashed for 6 pts. Im ok with that, just not with a 50million dollar QB or starting RB.

To me, it's like seeing your #1 WR fielding punts... It's just bound to end up poorly at some point and risks unnecessary injury to a key player.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't like the NFL allowing it as I would prefer the play to be stopped once forward progress is stopped. I don't expect the league to change anything about it though.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rule doesn't say a player isn't allowed to push a teammate to gain additional yards once forward progress is stopped though.
I think the only way to really do it is to not allow pushing from behind. I said it earlier but I just don't like scrumming. It is not American football imho.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It'll stop and the rule enforced when a QB blows out a knee and there is a week long discussion on social media.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
nfl rulebook, Rule 12, Section 1, Article 4:

just another rule in the book that doesn't get called

As Captain correctly point out, it doesn't say anything about what is being referred to in this thread, that of a player pushing his teammate forward.

I actually see no problem with the rule or assisting a runner by pushing him from behind. What I really wish the NFL would do is put a GPS tracker in a football, so that they would actually get the spots correct. Super simple to do, someone in the booth gets the information immediately and relays to a ref. the exact spot to place the ball.

ARTICLE 4. ASSISTING THE RUNNER AND INTERLOCKING INTERFERENCE

No offensive player may:

1. pull a runner in any direction at any time;
  2. use interlocking interference, by grasping a teammate or by using his hands or arms to encircle the body of a teammate in an effort to block an opponent; or
  3. push or throw his body against a teammate to aid him in an attempt to obstruct an opponent or to recover a loose ball.
Penalty: For assisting the runner, interlocking interference, or illegal use of hands, arms, or body by the offense: Loss of 10 yards.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
push or throw his body against a teammate to aid him in an attempt to obstruct an opponent

I wonder what that penalty would look like or how that is interpreted. I guess if defensive player is about to tackle a player from behind, but another player inserts themselves in the middle and pushes the teammate forward and doesn't allow the defensive player to tackle?

If pushing forward, not obstructing the defender.

Only way I can read that.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A number of us are old school like Old School. I do not like pushing the runner either. Not sure but it appears there can be more injuries in scrums.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I wonder what that penalty would look like or how that is interpreted. I guess if defensive player is about to tackle a player from behind, but another player inserts themselves in the middle and pushes the teammate forward and doesn't allow the defensive player to tackle?

If pushing forward, not obstructing the defender.

Only way I can read that.
Definitely one you don't see often, if at all. Was trying to wrap my head around it as well. Number 2 sounds like they don't want players to play the old "Red Rover, Red Rover let your star CB come over". Picturing 11 offensive players forming a circle around a ball carrier, interlocking their arms as they all rumble down the field.

Members online

Latest posts