Opinion piece: Trade Eagles JJ Arcega-Whiteside for Jamaal Williams?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
This popped up on my news feed a few days ago. I haven't seen it discussed here.

Jamaal Williams does what JJAW don’t for the Philadelphia Eagles.

Sure, technically he’s coming off his rookie season, with five starts and 22 receptions to his name, but that hasn’t stopped a minor mob of would-be scouts from throwing up ‘bust’ like Tobias Harris throws up bricks.

Hypothetically speaking, let’s say they are right. Let’s assume Howie Roseman’s decision to draft not one, not two, but three speedy wide receivers in the 2020 NFL Draft was an indictment on JJAW’s lack of development and that it’d simply be better to move off the 23-year-old to save a roster spot for players like Greg Ward, Quez Watkins, and John Hightower. If that’s the case, what, or who could the Eagles expect to land in a trade for the ex-Stanford Cardinal?
How about ball trucking, anime loving, fourth-year running back out of BYU: Jamaal Williams.

ETA: this made me laugh:
Who knows, the Pack may even throw in a future draft pick to secure the former second-round pick’s services?

Last edited:

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Throwing in a future pick, not a fan of that bit. Jamaal has shown significantly more than JJ to this point. To me that washes out the difference in where they sit on their contracts.

A straight trade I'd be fine with though. I love me some Jamaal Williams, great dude, but it seems likely that he'll be under-utilized now and perhaps on his way out the door anyway. I liked JJAW as a prospect, and I like where he's at on his contract. Not a guaranteed improvement over any of our other guys from Lazard on down, but I think he's got a good chance of being that. Another way of looking at it I guess... if we'd have somehow traded JWill for a 2nd-3rdish draft pick and used it to draft a prospect like JJAW, would I have been happy? Yes, I would have been happy about that.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Throwing in a future pick, not a fan of that bit. Jamaal has shown significantly more than JJ to this point. To me that washes out the difference in where they sit on their contracts.

A straight trade I'd be fine with though. I love me some Jamaal Williams, great dude, but it seems likely that he'll be under-utilized now and perhaps on his way out the door anyway. I liked JJAW as a prospect, and I like where he's at on his contract. Not a guaranteed improvement over any of our other guys from Lazard on down, but I think he's got a good chance of being that. Another way of looking at it I guess... if we'd have somehow traded JWill for a 2nd-3rdish draft pick and used it to draft a prospect like JJAW, would I have been happy? Yes, I would have been happy about that.
If this trade actually were to happen it would mean that there is a 4th RB on the roster ready to play and that the staff doesn’t like rate of development of the current WR’s on the roster.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I probably like Jamal more than your average Packer fan. I think he's a solid young man all the way around and good guy to have on the team for all sorts of reasons ranging from locker room presence, attitude on the practice and game field, work ethic, and doing what it takes to make a team go. he does it, with a pretty big smile. I'm not in any hurry to get rid of him. He's not your superstar, but he does a lot of things really well and he doesn't need daily affirmation by fans to do it and if he doesn't like something you'd never know because he just does it with a smile.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. Williams will probably the 2nd RB on the team and is the best pass blocker at running back. Trading him doesn't make sense if MLF really wants to run the ball as much as he says; aside from Jones, there is no indication how good the other RBs are at pass protection which is a really important skill.

H

HardRightEdge

After the draft I thought a Williams trade was a distinct possibility. With short camp and no preseason, I believe that's unlikely.

D

Deleted member 6794

If this trade actually were to happen it would mean that there is a 4th RB on the roster ready to play and that the staff doesn’t like rate of development of the current WR’s on the roster.

It shouldn't be a surprise to anybody if the Packers front office doesn't like the talent level at wide receiver. Gutekunst bringing in some veterans at the position during camp already seems to indicate it.

With that being said I wouldn't be in favor of trading for Arcega Whiteside if the Eagles are truly ready to move on only one year after spending a second rounder on him. It might be worth taking a chance on him if he's released though.

H

HardRightEdge

It might be worth taking a chance on him if he's released though.
Yeah, that would be in line with Gutekunst's Draft 2.0's. He's brought in a lot of former draft picks from out on the street even throughout the seasons. He's gotten a little help that way but nothing dramatic.

However, the Packers are awfully low on the waiver claim dibs list this year.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I probably like Jamal more than your average Packer fan. I think he's a solid young man all the way around and good guy to have on the team for all sorts of reasons ranging from locker room presence, attitude on the practice and game field, work ethic, and doing what it takes to make a team go. he does it, with a pretty big smile. I'm not in any hurry to get rid of him. He's not your superstar, but he does a lot of things really well and he doesn't need daily affirmation by fans to do it and if he doesn't like something you'd never know because he just does it with a smile.

I’m right there with you. Williams is the kind of player that every coach loves. Not a flashy back but does the little things necessary. Many fans were quick to trade him off for scraps after the draft but that never made sense to me.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can be a fan of someone and what they bring and still foresee or predict it making sense to possibly trade him. The dude's statistics point towards a team rolling some money to him to see if he can be that #1 dude for a team after this season...especially after injuries if the team is fairly confident in Dillon's ability to fulfill that #2 role if he left AND we are planning on resigning Jones trading Williams makes perfect sense now rather than letting walk.

Honestly, though now with everything being crazy and the cap dropping next season I am thinking more and more that Jones might be a cap loss and we roll with Williams/Dillon into 2021. Time will tell how it washes out...one thing for sure the 2020 RB room is arguably the best RB room we've ever had in my time as a fan from top to bottom.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't like Arcega-Whiteside coming out of Stanford as a rookie, and the Eagles might have had the worst WR Corps in 2019. If he couldn't make anything shake in Philly, he'll be just a PS addition here. I wouldn't mind taking a stab at him if he were released.

But yea, let's call Jacksonville and see if we can get a 4th Rounder back.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Arcega-Whiteside has 3 more years I believe in his rookie deal. Jamal has one year left. Especially since they spent a 2nd rounder on Whiteside last year, can't see them getting rid of a pick with him.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I'm Gute, I'm calling Jacksonville and seeing what I can get for Williams.

If anything it seems they are tanking so I doubt they'd consider it. I'd offer a 3rd for DJ Chark though (assuming he's recovered from last year). They seem to be getting rid of anybody that can play.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I'm Gute, I'm calling Jacksonville and seeing what I can get for Williams.

Scraps is what you’d get. No way a team is giving up a 4th, 5th, or 6th rounder for Williams when they can have Devonta Freeman, Spencer Ware, Marshawn Lynch, or Bilal Powell for free. Some of the people on this board are wishful thinking. This “get what we can get because he’s walking next season” mentality could back fire. Jones played all 16 games one of three seasons. We have a rookie back that looks great in practice but has not played one NFL down and injury’s happen to big guys to. My narrative could possibly change closer to trade deadline but for now Williams has more value to the Packers than any future 7th round pick.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t understand why you’d want to get rid of Jamaal Williams unless the staff thinks Dexter Williams is a better player right now. We don’t know for certain what Dillon’s performance is going to be. I expect unevenness, especially early on.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless Dexter Williams has radically changed his mental fortitude, I don't think he's on this team long. Trading a guy like Jamaal for him would be a big mistake IMO

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe he will be traded given Covid situation and all...back when we nabbed Dillon I saw it as a possibility, but I just don't see it unless a team reaches out to us that is in need. Dillon and Williams honestly are bargaining chips when discussing with Jones his future contract...

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If anything it seems they are tanking so I doubt they'd consider it. I'd offer a 3rd for DJ Chark though (assuming he's recovered from last year). They seem to be getting rid of anybody that can play.

Yeah no point of getting JJAW at least DJ Chark would be a clear cut number 2 wr. I doubt they are willing to trade him but I'd give up a 2nd for him for sure maybe even a first but I don't think Jacksonville would do it

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah no point of getting JJAW at least DJ Chark would be a clear cut number 2 wr. I doubt they are willing to trade him but I'd give up a 2nd for him for sure maybe even a first but I don't think Jacksonville would do it

DJ Chark's ceiling may be higher than Davante Adams when all is said and done. No way they trade him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Um...if you could nab Chark for a 3rd I think nearly every team in the league would have already done this.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So his ceiling is a top 5 WR in the NFL?

Lol. That's a pretty bad take.

DJ Chark has athleticism that is off the charts. Combine that with his production with spotty qb play and his ceiling is the best WR in the NFL. Not to discredit Adams, who's an excellent WR, Chark is the better prospect. Obviously time will tell.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe the proper way of putting it with Chark is his raw skillset or what his body appears capable of is very much Top 5....whether he grows into even a Top 30 WR is an entirely different discussion. Either way, Chark INSTANTLY walks into our WR room as #2.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DJ Chark has athleticism that is off the charts. Combine that with his production with spotty qb play and his ceiling is the best WR in the NFL. Not to discredit Adams, who's an excellent WR, Chark is the better prospect. Obviously time will tell.

Cool. Jeff Janis was the most athletic WR we had for a few years. Was his ceiling the best on the roster? NOPE!

I like Chark. He's good. It's highly unlikely he ever becomes the nuanced WR that Adams is. Just because a player is a good athlete doesn't mean his ceiling is the best in the league. I know for sure I'd take Jeudy and McLaurin over him, now and in the future.

Latest posts