One or two?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My biggest complaint with our short game on passing plays is that none of it ever seems to happen by design.

They all seem to result in the QB rolling out of the pocket, trying to buy time, and every WR just desperately trying to separate from man coverage. Which unsurprisingly isn't really working.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After what I saw last night, the Packers better keep kicking 1's.
Maybe they should try to run the ball on a two-point conversion at least once before giving up on it for good.
My biggest complaint with our short game on passing plays is that none of it ever seems to happen by design.

They all seem to result in the QB rolling out of the pocket, trying to buy time, and every WR just desperately trying to separate from man coverage. Which unsurprisingly isn't really working.

It's also preseason so the Packers would rather evaluate a player or play than actually score the 2 points.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe they should try to run the ball on a two-point conversion at least once before giving up on it for good.
Packers' success rate on 4th and short was actually very good when they handed the ball to Kuhn. I would think Lacy would be even better.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I would expect MM to go for one most of the time esp. Early as he expects to score more. The opponent on the other hand will probably go for two much more often in an attempt to keep up. Goalline defense better be able to handle it.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's also preseason so the Packers would rather evaluate a player or play than actually score the 2 points.

While this is true I doubt that watching Rodgers or Tolzien scramble to their right to evade pressure and watch receivers run around randomly and desperately trying to get open before their QB runs out of room is part of their evaluation process.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While this is true I doubt that watching Rodgers or Tolzien scramble to their right to evade pressure and watch receivers run around randomly and desperately trying to get open before their QB runs out of room is part of their evaluation process.

Clearly on those plays they learned something that doesn't work or something a player needs to work on. The whole game is an evaluation process.

D

Deleted member 6794

The offense has been terrible over the last four season converting only 11.1%. Since McCarthy became the head coach the team has thrown the ball on every (!!!) attempt. I guess a more diverse play selection would end up providing better results.

Packers' success rate on 4th and short was actually very good when they handed the ball to Kuhn. I would think Lacy would be even better.

The Packers have handed Kuhn the ball inside the 2-yard line a total of 28 times during his time (not once on fourth down) with him scoring a TD on half of them. Lacy has scored a touchdown on 72.2% of rushes inside the two. Another reason I don't why the coaching staff prefers to throw it all the time going for two.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like they worked ******* it over the last 9 days. They looked like a different team from the 2 today.
They ran the ball, something MM has never done with AR behind center. That said, I don't expect a change during the season. This is just more short yardage practice. He knows that Crosby should hit a 31 yard FG / EP.

H

HardRightEdge

They ran the ball, something MM has never done with AR behind center. That said, I don't expect a change during the season. This is just more short yardage practice. He knows that Crosby should hit a 31 yard FG / EP.
McCarthy has already stated the rule change does not alter his risk/reward calculation. Other teams, in his view, might be more aggressive with it. He did not name names, but Belichick would be a leading candidate to put the 2-pointer to work given that he said he would.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To this point, the rule has not affected the after-TD thought process of coaches, who are still all going for 1. There have actually been less 2 point conversions attempted than Week 1 last season (although 2 games still to go).

There already have, however, been extra points missed because of the new rule, and the PAT conversion rate is only 94.1%. Too early and too small of a sample size to conclude much off that, but it's possible that the 2 might end up being the better mathematical play.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy has already stated the rule change does not alter his risk/reward calculation. Other teams, in his view, might be more aggressive with it. He did not name names, but Belichick would be a leading candidate to put the 2-pointer to work given that he said he would.

Or Kelly from Philly.

Members online