On this date, January 28 ...

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
1959... The Packers hired Vince Lombardi. After a few successful seasons, the Pack faced a 29-year spell without an NFL Championship. I wonder if it was his drafting that caused such a gap??

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1959... The Packers hired Vince Lombardi. After a few successful seasons, the Pack faced a 29-year spell without an NFL Championship. I wonder if it was his drafting that caused such a gap??

When I took the stadium tour at Lambeau, our guide told us that Lombardi was recommended to the Pack by George Halas.

Oh the irony...

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Story went Lombardi was having difficulty finding a HC job because he was Italian and Catholic.

The Giants didn't want him until he beat them twice and then came around trying to get him back or so the story goes.

I remember watching his coach's show as a kid on Green Bay's channel 2 which had very close ties to the Diocese of Green Bay. I think that might be how my Dad got tickets so much.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

On THIS date in 1952 in Birmingham England, nothing happened.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Story went Lombardi was having difficulty finding a HC job because he was Italian and Catholic.

The Giants didn't want him until he beat them twice and then came around trying to get him back or so the story goes.

I remember watching his coach's show as a kid on Green Bay's channel 2 which had very close ties to the Diocese of Green Bay. I think that might be how my Dad got tickets so much.

Interesting article on Lombardi's hire here:

How Vince Lombardi was hired as the Packers’ head coach

Lombardi wanted to coach the Giants, but he tired of waiting

https://www.bigblueview.com/nfl-pla...ead-coach-ny-giants-jim-lee-howell-tom-landry

Members online

Latest posts