Old topic, Walker gained us how many extra draft picks?

rob836

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I'm going to look at this is 4 picks for Walker. Daryn Colledge. Will Blackmon. Johnny Jolly. Tyrone Culver. Not Ingle Martin. Then after the end of the season look and see who came up on top GB or Denver.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheesey -you have a way with words to get down to the "nitty gritty" of this situation with Walker. As far as I'm concerned, your explanation cleared everything up for me and that is really scary to me.

I have a feeling this will not go away soon, many eyes will be on Javon Walker at Denver and also what ever draft choices Green Bay may have received or not received for him.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
fans pretending to know more than GMs amuses me.

I'm glad you never questioned Sherman when he was GM. If someone were to go back and find you ripping him in a previous post, that would be embarassing :oops:

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Yeah your right....If you can't see that Denver got 1 player from us and Atlanta got 2 then ***** it.

You like to make it sound like I was opposed to the trade which I was not. I just can't see how TT did anything special besides pick up an OG and 3-4 guys that will contribute nothing to this team, hell, half of them will probably not even make the team.

Should have stayed put with that second and drafted a quality player instead of trading it away and re-trading over and over for Johnny Jolly,Culver and a 3rd string QB.

Absofrigginlutely..Pyledriver...Right on..!

How did all the "genius" TT moves as GM work out last year???...HOw much money did TT WASTE on nobody's who couldn't even crack the line-up..??? But as you pointed out...the sum of that money could have been used to keep Wahle last year...

Face it..TT sycophants....it was a bad move and Denver got all of the value out of that trade, and the Packers got alot of question marks....!!

It seems to me TT likes to draft alot of off the rack, bargain basement guys so that if they don't make the team...there's not much of a stir...but if ONE of them does...then certain people claim that he's a "GENIUS"....

That's funny...but as was pointed out...these bargain basement signings add up after awhile, and the money that is wasted on them could have been used to sign an IMPACT PLAYER...

Real 'friggin' GENIUS...that is...

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

How did all the "genius" TT moves as GM work out last year???...HOw much money did TT WASTE on nobody's who couldn't even crack the line-up..??? But as you pointed out...the sum of that money could have been used to keep Wahle last year...

Face it..TT sycophants....it was a bad move and Denver got all of the value out of that trade, and the Packers got alot of question marks....!!

It seems to me TT likes to draft alot of off the rack, bargain basement guys so that if they don't make the team...there's not much of a stir...but if ONE of them does...then certain people claim that he's a "GENIUS"....

That's funny...but as was pointed out...these bargain basement signings add up after awhile, and the money that is wasted on them could have been used to sign an IMPACT PLAYER...

:roll: :shock:

That "sum" was not enough to keep Wahle...He bolted almost as fast as FA door opened..So sign him to use up almost all of the cap space at that time ( was about $3 million)..
Then try to figure out where to get the cap space to sign all of your draft picks, and other players needed on the entire team..

In case you missed it-he did say Brett returning was a big factor....Since Brett had not made his intentions known then, one might say Wahle decided not to wait for Brett to announce..

So what was the meeting like with Wahle and his agent?? Did they discuss numbers, did the agent say we need X amount of $$ and TT said we dont have that amount in available cap room?? Did the agent say we will work with you to keep Mike here??

Bargain basement?

Furthermore, after his five Seattle drafts, 30 of 47 selected players have started at least one Seahawks game, and only three of those 47 did not make Seattle's 53-man roster. And, 31 remained on the roster at the end of the '04 campaign. Overall, eight of those players have earned all-rookie, All-Pro or Pro Bowl honors.

Now correct me if I am wrong here...But Mike H, who was the GM and coach had to say if those players were good enough to be on the team..Since they keept a HUGE portion of those draft picks, wouldnt one conclude that the draft picks WERE NOT bargain basement?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Holmgren also was the guy who drafted these players. We've been through this ad nauseum. Holmgren was the GM....HE decided who to draft. Many times he took the advice of Thompson. Sometimes he did not. I know TT is now a Packer and we all want him to succeed, but he is a big boy. He doesn't need us beefing up his resume'. He will have to stand on his own record with Green Bay. It's too early to say right now but hopefully those numbers you quoted can be repeated in Green Bay.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
P@ck66 said:

:roll: :shock:

That "sum" was not enough to keep Wahle...He bolted almost as fast as FA door opened..So sign him to use up almost all of the cap space at that time ( was about $3 million)..
Then try to figure out where to get the cap space to sign all of your draft picks, and other players needed on the entire team..

In case you missed it-he did say Brett returning was a big factor....Since Brett had not made his intentions known then, one might say Wahle decided not to wait for Brett to announce..

So what was the meeting like with Wahle and his agent?? Did they discuss numbers, did the agent say we need X amount of $$ and TT said we dont have that amount in available cap room?? Did the agent say we will work with you to keep Mike here??

You are speculating on something and then in the next paragraph rip Pack66 for doing so. It's hypocritical.

Again, it is not a question of losing Wahle but more the fact that when we lost Wahle we failed to address the vacancy effectively. TT brought in FA's who could not even make the team last year. So now we lost Wahle, and picked up O'Dwyer,Little,Freeman and Raynoch Thompson. I understand that Wahle wanted to be gone but GB could have done something to make up for the loss.

So now 06 rolls around and Walker wants out.So we grant his wish and what do we get in return? 2 Tweeners and 3 guys who will contribute nothing this year, and thats only after trading away Walker for a second rounder which we could have used to add real talent to this team. Instead we give that pick away as well for some 3rd string QB and a bunch of longshots.

I am not a TT hater. I like the FA signings this year but we definitely got the raw end of the Denver deal. People will say that Jwalk wanted out so we had to get something for him and I agree. Hell, I am glad he is gone, but we should have spent the 2nd on something to offset the loss.

It's beginning to look like a pattern with TT. Guys leave and TT brings in a bunch of nobodies to compete for an open spot. It may work, but what if it does not? I truly think TT outthought himself on draft day. Good thing the draft was not 12 rounds or we would have ended up with 23 11th round picks and 18 12th's.

Before you guys get your ******* in a bunch, please understand what I am saying. When you draft guys in later rounds it's usually because they are very raw. They might be great in 3-4 years with the right coaching. My optimism for this team this year is realistic. Neither Guard spot is filled and expecting raw rookies with bad technique to fill these spots like an 8 year vet is a pipe dream. These guys will also be expected to pass block. They do not have the size to get away with using bad technique. It all starts up front boys and you can have a probowl QB, 3 1000 yard rushers and 4 All-Pro WR's but if you can't block you might as well forget about it.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

Last year cannot be put on Ted Thompson and everyone knows that. That was Mike Sherman’s team. All those players outside of 14 were Sherman's draft picks. Last year we didn’t' have the money. We didn't have the money to pay Sharper and Wahle the signing bonus. We had to cut them. TT offered Wahle a contract. Carolina had more money and offered him more money. Wahle chose to go get more money. Can't say I blame him.

Thompson is now putting together the core of the teams future through the draft. That's how championship teams are built. Thompson inherited a team heading for disaster. Sherman inherited a team that should of won a Super Bowl. If you want to blame someone for Favre not winning a Super Bowl, blame Sherman.

The Packers have had a very good off season. We're far from a finish product but we now have the core of our future intact. 26 draft picks in two years.. Ryan Pickett is young and added. Woodson is 29 and added to the team for long term. Kampman is young and set up long term. Franks is here long term.

Once again you can't buy a championship you build one

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PWT36 said:
Cheesey -you have a way with words to get down to the "nitty gritty" of this situation with Walker. As far as I'm concerned, your explanation cleared everything up for me and that is really scary to me.

I have a feeling this will not go away soon, many eyes will be on Javon Walker at Denver and also what ever draft choices Green Bay may have received or not received for him.

Thanks PWT!!! (I THINK!!!)LOLOL!!!
.........for those that want to keep argueing about it............Didn't your Mom teach you that "it will NEVER heal if you don't stop picking at it???" This is like a week old mosquito bite.........and if it stops itching, you start scratching at it to get it going again.
In the end, what does it matter what WE think about Walker being gone? He's GONE. There was nothing we could do about it before he left, or now that he's gone. Anyone can Monday morning QB this to death, and it won't matter. It's done. What the Packers got, they got.........what Denver got, they got. No matter how you look at it, it still comes down to it's OVER. Go on from that point.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Yeah your right....If you can't see that Denver got 1 player from us and Atlanta got 2 then ***** it.

Yup. I've posted the trades numerous times. I've SEEN and STATED what you are implying I do not see.

Please don't try to make an argument because you are too bored to find something else to do. ;)

Latest posts