Official Packers' Next Opponent: Rams

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Rodgers on the Rams..

5. Are the Rams an emerging team in the NFL?

RODGERS: I think so. They're very well coached. They've played a little bit quicker at home, which is natural because you're going to get that extra kind of half-step from the crowd noise. But they've got a good pedigree to have a good defense. They can cover, they have guys that get after the passer really well and when you have a middle linebacker like (James) Lauranaitis who's playing at a very high level, that kind of brings it all together. They've got the right guys in the right places. I think they're primed to really continue to take off under Coach (Jeff) Fisher with the young talent that they have.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At 3-3 you do not take any team for granted, especially a team that is also 3-3 like you and looks to be up-and-coming. St. Louis may be 1 year from being a playoff contender, but I could easily see them going 8-8 this year.

The big worries I have about this game are the two outside speed rushers for the Rams. That's how Seattle created havoc for an entire half. I'm not as worried about the Rams offense, but Bradford is a pretty decent QB and you can't discount him having a big day.

This game is almost as much a test for the Pack as last week. Against the Texans our backs were against the wall. Playing a strong game this week and winning is very important for the playoff chances of this team. The Rams are at least as good as the Seahawks IMO.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Just curious here, but does anyone here keep up with point spreads? I'm not a betting guy, so I have no reason to do so. I just looked and most places have us at a 5 1/2 point favorite over the Rams. How do these so called betting experts come up with the line numbers? How often are the even close to being correct? Just wondering because we just beat Houston by 18 points...that had to have blown out the betting houses.....just my guess since I don't know how all that works. I hope we can beat the Rams by a hell of a lot more points than 5.....lol

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is more telling on how this team will go on for a while..

Raji mentioned last week how they can get up for the Texans, but harder to get up for "lesser" opponents...
I can't believe any player would say this, at least publicly. It's up to MM to put the fear of God in them about losing.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW, Advanced NFL Stats has the probability of a Green Bay win at 0.44 as opposed to St. Louis at 0.56. If the Pack shows up like last week, we win-even against the odds.

H

HardRightEdge

Just curious here, but does anyone here keep up with point spreads? I'm not a betting guy, so I have no reason to do so. I just looked and most places have us at a 5 1/2 point favorite over the Rams. How do these so called betting experts come up with the line numbers? How often are the even close to being correct? Just wondering because we just beat Houston by 18 points...that had to have blown out the betting houses.....just my guess since I don't know how all that works. I hope we can beat the Rams by a hell of a lot more points than 5.....lol

I'm not a betting man either, but it goes something like this:

A Las Vegas sports book pays dollar-for-dollar on winning bets. However, if you lose, the book typically charges you 10% over the amount of the bet (commission, vigorish, "vig", "juice"...whatever you want to call it).

In principle, the book has no interest in which side of the bet wins or loses. Their objective is see equal amounts of money bet on each side of the proposition, and then profit off the vig. If they accomplish that consistently, they make very handsome profits.

So they set an opening line that they think will draw equal money on each side of the bet, then the money starts coming in. If one side of the line draws appreciably more money than the other, they'll move the line during the week to try to equalize the money on the two sides of the proposition.

The sports book's biggest risk comes in the day or hours before the game...a big money flow near game time can mess with the balance. If they have a large imbalance, they might lay off some of the bet with another bookmaker to reduce the risk, or they might keep the risk figuring winners and losers will equalize over time.

In the final analysis, bookmakers don't set the odds except initially...betters set the odds.

The object of the bookmaker is to be a market maker, not a gambler.

WhiteHouseOn3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll be at this game. Anyone else? I'm thinking there will be tons of cheeseheads. On my way outta Madison right now. Figured it'd be a mess with the badgers/gophers game tomorrow.

This is my 2nd game, 1st bring the 9ers. Hoping for a better outcome!! :)

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fisher is really the one element that makes this game a battle. Without him the Rams aren't much more than what they have been in recent years. Just like the 9ers going from Singletary to Harbaugh.
Of all the 6 QBs we have faced I would put Bradford at no. 7, even below Wilson and Luck who are rookies. Our porous defense held them to 3 points last year. That is pretty inept for any offense. Fisher is trying to take the same approach that Harbaugh has taken with Smith. Hopefully, it is still in the test phase.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't THINK it is a big deal, but has anyone heard any news on Rodgers' calf? They have him listed as probable. I know he will play, but is his calf really being called an "injury" that needs to be documented from week to week?

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My take on this game:

The injuries to Perry and Raji mean that Pickett, CJ Wilson and Hawk are going to have to step up big time to stop the Rams' running game. Richardson is a pretty good back behind Stephen Jackson. Keep them from establishing the ground game and force Bradford to pass. Then with their depleted OL it's time for Matthews, Neal and Worthy to put the pressure on.

Rams have a dangerous outside speed rush, which means that Newhouse and Bulaga are going to have their work cut out for them. Bulaga has not played well at all. He and Saturday are the weak points in this OL. Texans got burned last week because they blitzed a lot. Keep the 4-man rush off of Rodgers long enough and the Packers will score points. If the Rams' outside rush can disrupt Rodgers, it could be another Seattle game. If the Rams need to blitz, they'll be in trouble.

Alex Green needs to run well to keep the Rams defense from teeing off on Rodgers.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Offensively it will come down to how MM calls the first half. If it is 20 passes to 5 runs, we are in deep doodoo. Especially if half the passes are 5-7 step drops. The Rams pass rush should score for me in FF if that happens.
Defensively it will be how well Jones, House, and Hayward step up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts