1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

OFFICIAL Packers @ 49ers - Divisional Round

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by VersusTheMoose, Jan 5, 2013.

1. gbpack12_2_89

gbpack12_2_89 Bleeding Green and Gold

Ratings:
    +192
    Falcons were also 7-1 at home in 2010 how did that work for them? Also before you say the packers were 4-4 on the road this year, we know that, they were 3-5 in 2010 then went 4-0 on the road to win the SB....

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Fin and Boykin Return to Practice, Nelson still absent, Cobb DNP too, but still "no injuries of a serious nature"

3. CandlestickBum

CandlestickBum Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +23
    Homefield advantage is just that, an advantage, not some guarantee of victory. If I were a Packer's fan, I would be more worried about the fact that the 49ers played in four of the toughest visiting-team stadiums this year (Lambeau, Foxborough, the Superdome, and Safeco field) and came away with a win in three of them.

Plenty of teams lose at home, but nobody wants to play a must-win game on the road.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Candlestick park looks like a sandlot. No bueno, no quiero voy a jugar. Definitely will NOT be fun.

5. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Now I'm getting mixed reports:
    DNP: Cobb, Boykin, Mcmiilian, Saturday, Nelson, Worthy

I'll just wait for official announcements

6. NorthWestCheeseHead

NorthWestCheeseHead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +370
    I think that you shouldn't go assuming what people want or don't want to do. Obviously this situation is not my first choice, but I'm more concerned about the deplorable state of your field than I am about playing a "must win" game away from Lambeau.

7. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    What happened to bot getting the bye and home field advantage being a good thing? What happened to "sit back and watch the magic happen?"

• Like Like x 1
  8. NorthWestCheeseHead

Ratings:
    +370
    Hahaha it's still there. I also formed that opinion off the idea that the first and second seed rarely make it to the Super Bowl. Obviously I was misinformed about that. I think you should reread that last bit about me being more concerned about the state of their field than I am about the Packers playing playoff games away from Lambeau.

9. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    I read it, but I'm saying you wouldn't have to worry about it if we were at home.

10. NorthWestCheeseHead

Ratings:
    +370
    Also wouldn't have to worry about it if the NFL had strict field quality rules, as they should.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    They do, and they just enacted a 72 hour rule.

12. NorthWestCheeseHead

Ratings:
    +370
    I was not aware of this.......to Google!

13. NorthWestCheeseHead

Ratings:
    +370
    Well dang, those couple of rules are a lot less specific of a "rule" that I would like to see. Even the 72 hour rule is not enough imo. FedEx Field was in compliance with the rule and it was a crap field.

14. goldstandard333

goldstandard333 49ers Fan

Ratings:
    +14
  15. goldstandard333

Ratings:
    +14
    Unless we're playing the Raiders. :speechless:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. goldstandard333

Ratings:
    +14
    Ultimately that's not going to matter if we can't slow down Rodgers. If the Niners slow down Rodgers and Kaep has a big game, we win. If it looks like the 4th qtr against the Patriots, you win. :sick:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +827
    The one thing about the bad field, both teams have to play on it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    [​IMG]
    /Dream

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. CandlestickBum

CandlestickBum Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +23
    I would not be liking the 49ers chances as much if they had not gotten the 13 days of rest. If our defense is worn out and beat up, you get what happened in the second half of the Patriots game and up in Seattle.

The way San Francisco wins is by not getting behind and running out the clock, but that cannot happen if the defense cannot hang in there for the entire game. The 49ers held the Patriots to 3 points in the first half and then gave up 24 points in the final quarter. If the defense gets tired, Rodgers is easily good enough to put up 24 points in a single quarter.

One thing that Smith was good at was burning up the clock with short, accurate passes that kept the defense off the field. Kaepernick is more dynamic, which means that even with the 49ers conservative offensive play calling, offensive possessions tend to be shorter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +995
    All the stats gurus are picking the 9ers (advanced NFL stats, Football Outsiders). 5th Down has the probability of a Green Bay win at 0.34--only Baltimore is a greater underdog. McCarthy thinks the greater the dog, the better the situation. So it looks to me like a Green Bay win 27-24. Rogers 24/30 for 310 yds and 3 TDs while being sacked "only" 3 times. Crosby continues his comeback with a 45 yarder with time running out. Defense intercepts CK 3 times to ensure the win. This is a direct message from above.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  21. NACHOMAN

NACHOMAN Sailing the seas of cheese

Ratings:
    +55
    Chase rainbows in their Prius. Dirt twirl to the Grateful Dead. Shut off the lights in the middle of playoff games. Hence the name Candlestick.

• Like Like x 1
  22. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,826
    This is a pretty good article which talks about the first game matchup and some of what's changed since: "Packers try to avoid evening rush"
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-try-to-avoid-evening-rush-qq8a35r-186119261.html

The Packers only ran the ball 14 times - I expect that number to increase and I'm hoping for better than the 3.2 YPC they had in the first game. If the Packers rely on quick rhythm passes, ball security and YAC will obviously be very important. I wish Nelson were fully healthy (I think Cobb "just" has the flu) but can't complain considering how this season went.

The article is just talking about the offense. One change not mentioned is the 9er's offense won't have CB Jarrett Bush to pick on.

The Vegas line favors SF by 3 - that seems about right to me. Should be onehellofa game. BTW, I was disgusted by the field condition in Washington and hope we don't see a repeat. Contrast that with how well the field at Lambeau stood up last week - why don't teams like Washington and the 9ers install "Field Turf" (I believe that's the name o f it)? Can't be the cost...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +995
    TJV: " why don't teams like Washington and the 9ers install "Field Turf" (I believe that's the name of it)? Can't be the cost..."

Good one.

24. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/e...michael-robinson-documents-shoddy-fedex-field

This is crazy, I really hope Candlestick isn't this bad

• Like Like x 1
  25. Marvin49

Marvin49 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +58
    It won't be. Not even close.

Its WAY overstated.

The field was resodded before the Cards game, but we were getting alot of rain so the field was under a tarp (IE, why the grass isn't completely green in photo on Pro Football Talk...grass needs sunlight).

The 'stick can get muddy sometimes in January so people can slip around a bit, but its NEVER like Fed-Ex was on sunday. It should be dry tho on Sat. Footing shouldn't be an issue at all.