Official Pack vs Vikings studs and duds

H

HardRightEdge

As for the Nick Perry mentions, last night he must have seen the most snaps he's seen all season and he paid up. Compared to Mike Neal he's just as physical but he show s more burst and speed when attacking the quarterback. He also sets a mean edge although his pursuit good use a lot of work, way too timid.
I found it interesting that Peppers mentioned Matthews and Perry as his compatriots while omitting Neal during the post game interview. To my eye Perry still plays like a DE standing up and hasn't shown much other than the bull rush in the passing game. He's also not being asked to do much, if anything, in coverage.

Perry looks marginally better in his circumscribed role. He's a long way from being a multi-function linebacker you'd expect from a first round pick at this stage.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I found it interesting that Peppers mentioned Matthews and Perry as his compatriots while omitting Neal during the post game interview. To my eye he still plays like a DE standing up and hasn't shown much other than the bull rush in the passing game. He's also not being asked to do much, if anything, in coverage.

Perry looks marginally better in more circumscribed roles. He's a long way from being a multi-function linebacker you'd expect from a first round pick at this stage.

True but a lot of rush oriented OLBs are marginal if not lousy in this area. Dallas fans used to describe Ware's drops as being an adventure each time. Besides remember Aaron Rodgers' spin move on Ware, yikes. Perry might never develop into a plus cover linebacker and he might never offer much backside pursuit, which is somewhat surprising. But if he sets a good edge, provides a good pass rush and stays healthy(big if). He'll be more than worth a first round pick.

H

HardRightEdge

True but a lot of rush oriented OLBs are marginal if not lousy in this area. Dallas fans used to describe Ware's drops as being an adventure each time. Besides remember Aaron Rodgers' spin move on Ware, yikes. Perry might never develop into a plus cover linebacker and he might never offer much backside pursuit, which is somewhat surprising. But if he sets a good edge, provides a good pass rush and stays healthy(big if). He'll be more than worth a first round pick.
When you run a 3-4 defense and buy an OLB with a first round pick, what you expect to get, first and foremost, is an edge rusher with more than one move. Comparing Perry to Ware is a beyond a stretch...Ware had all the moves and did what he was paid to do...put fear in the hearts of game planners and QBs.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you run a 3-4 defense and buy an OLB with a first round pick, what you expect to get, first and foremost, is an edge rusher with more than one move. Comparing Perry to Ware is a beyond a stretch...Ware had all the moves and did what he was paid to do...put fear in the hearts of game planners and QBs.

Come on HRE Demarcus Ware has a great edge rush and a vicious bull rush. He's the football equivalent to a fastball changeup pitcher, the day he sets up a sack with an explosive inside move might just be a first. Perry has shown that he can bull rush and he has demonstrated a very effective edge rush at times where he has dipped his pads and turned the corner. I used Ware, one of the best defenders in the league, as an example of how a player could still be very effective despite being deficient in multiple areas namely pass coverage and attacking ball carriers in the open field. Does Perry have to meet Ware's standard to be worth a first round pick, no he doesn't.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Limited time is the key, though. His injury played a major factor in the dud rating. If you can't be on the field then you can't make plays.

Agreed he really needs to be able to stay out there. Just thought saying he didn't have much impact made it seem like he was ineffective while on the field, which was not the case.

Reaction score
I recall a writer, I cannot remember which, who said Janis is the new Billy Schroeder. Specifics were not cited, but I think the comparison, at this point, is apt.

Small college, tall receiver, runs like the wind.

The more concerning point of a comparison, unstated in the commentary, is what might reside above the shoulders. No one will ever accuse Schroeder of having been a student of the game, to put it charitably.

Note the snap where Janis did not know what to do, came back to the huddle for instruction, followed by a timeout called by Flynn.

I've not heard Janis speak, so I don't know if he has Schroeder's goofball tendencies, but at this point there are indications his savvy and football knowledge, let alone knowledge of this sophisticated passing offense, may not be more than a couple of steps above sandlot.

Raw talent? Sure, that's why the Packers did not try to put him on practice squad. But there's no guarantee, not by a long shot, he'll get to the point where he'll get on the same page with Aaron Rodgers, and that is mandatory for getting on the field when it matters. Job #1 for receivers in an Aaron Rodgers offense is don't be zigging when the read is for a zag; not causing INTs is mandatory.

Somebody's going to tell me Schroeder had 3 seasons totaling 3,000 yds. That was a team under the freelancing Favre and a thin WR receiver group; a limited Schroeder-like skill set does not cut it in this offense with this QB.
Add to that the all the 15 yard penalties and #s of hairs turned Gray n lost by Holmgren babysitting him. ( ;

H

HardRightEdge

Come on HRE Demarcus Ware has a great edge rush and a vicious bull rush. He's the football equivalent to a fastball changeup pitcher, the day he sets up a sack with an explosive inside move might just be a first. Perry has shown that he can bull rush and he has demonstrated a very effective edge rush at times where he has dipped his pads and turned the corner. I used Ware, one of the best defenders in the league, as an example of how a player could still be very effective despite being deficient in multiple areas namely pass coverage and attacking ball carriers in the open field. Does Perry have to meet Ware's standard to be worth a first round pick, no he doesn't.
I'm not sure why you disagreed with me about Ware. I think you misread my post. You made the Ware comparison; I didn't. Is this a retraction?

As for Perry dipping his shoulder and turning the corner, I've seen him do it once in going on 3 years. Where is it?

H

HardRightEdge

Add to that the all the 15 yard penalties and #s of hairs turned Gray n lost by Holmgren babysitting him. ( ;
Can you imagine? Favre-to-Schroeder as a key weapon in your offense...Holmgren must have wanted to go screaming into the night. Maybe some of the locals can say if they saw Holmgren out for a "midnight run". ;)

I did not mean to suggest that Janis is a problem child or a head case behaviorly speaking...only that so far he's not demonstrated he's got the head for the game and is not just a terrific one-on-one-in-space glorified sandlot player.

In the early days of the AFL, QBs were literaly drawing up plays in the dirt. This is not that game.

I'm not saying Janis won't be a good NFL football player. It's early. I'm just saying there's no indication so far that he will. Two catches along with a botched assignment leaves us where we started...a very early stage developmental player with a long way to go. Most in this category don't make it...he's not a basket to put any eggs in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Can you imagine? Favre-to-Schroeder as a key weapon in your offense...Holmgren must have wanted to go screaming into the night. Maybe some of the locals can say if they saw Holmgren out for a "midnight run". ;)

I did not mean to suggest that Janis is a problem child or a head case behaviorly speaking...only that so far he's not demonstrated he's got the head for the game and is not just a terrific one-on-one-in-space glorified sandlot player.

In the early days of the AFL, QBs were literaly drawing up plays in the dirt. This is not that game.

I'm not saying Janis won't be a good NFL football player. It's early. I'm just saying there's no indication so far that he will. Two catches along with a botched assignment leaves us where we started...a very early stage developmental player with a long way to go. Most in this category don't make it...he's not a basket to put any eggs in.
My god that first paragraph had me in tears! Top that with a " midnight Run " which I just saw on Netflix? last week Robert Deniro, Charles Groden. ***** the killer **** from Risky Business, Sgt Taggard from Beverly Hills Cop. What a great old movie

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for the Nick Perry mentions, last night he must have seen the most snaps he's seen all season and he paid up. Compared to Mike Neal he's just as physical but he show s more burst and speed when attacking the quarterback. He also sets a mean edge although his pursuit good use a lot of work, way too timid.

Neal gets a ton of pressure on the QB but just can't seem to finish. Perry seems to get a sack whenever he gets within five yards of the QB. Weird how that works out.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neal gets a ton of pressure on the QB but just can't seem to finish. Perry seems to get a sack whenever he gets within five yards of the QB. Weird how that works out.

I like both players, Mike Neal looks like a more fluid and explosive player when attacking the line of scrimmage but he lacks experience breaking down and getting the ball carrier from the outside. Perry on the other hand looks more natural during those final 1-2 yards and he tends to get there with more force and violence. They could be very good players for us if they could just stay healthy.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Datone needs to worry less about being assignment sure and start attacking the gaps more, if he starts using his speed more frequently guards and OTs won't be able to pancake him as frequently.

D

Deleted member 6794

Perry looks marginally better in his circumscribed role. He's a long way from being a multi-function linebacker you'd expect from a first round pick at this stage.

Well, actually Thompson was the only one thinking Perry would be capable of becoming a multi-function LB.

H

HardRightEdge

Well, actually Thompson was the only one thinking Perry would be capable of becoming a multi-function LB.
That may be colored by your own perception. You, me, and the lamp post might have disliked the the Perry pick, but by and large the press, analysts and faithful took the optimistic view of "In Ted We Trust".

H

HardRightEdge

Hopefully they can get him up to speed on the entire playbook sooner than later and in the meantime hopefully they can at least get him proficient at a handful of plays.
Is Janis even playing on special teams? I cannot recall seeing him there. That would be the starting point.

It's often overlooked that the playbook might sometimes say run a 10 yard out or like. However, much of the time the call gives the receiver options...he's got to read the defense correctly, chose expected option, and execute it in the expected way.

For example, there was a play in last night's game where Adams ran a skinny post and Rodgers threw it at his feet. I don't think Rodgers subsequent look of displeasure was with himself...I believe he was not happy that Adams took steep and angle...he wanted him crossing under and not into the coverage. Given that Adams is generally a polished player for I rookie, you can expect those looks of displeasure to be less frequent as the years go by.

I seriously doubt Janis is anywhere near dealing with these kinds of subtleties.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the big complaint was that he seemed like more of a 4-3 DE, but the guy is an athletic freak. To get a guy like that at 28th overall at a premium position is extremely rare.

That is kind of a problem though when you run a 3-4 defense and the guy explicitly said before the draft he only wants to play in a 4-3.

H

HardRightEdge

That is kind of a problem though when you run a 3-4 defense and the guy explicitly said before the draft he only wants to play in a 4-3.
That was the non-starter for me. Perry put on 20 lbs for the Combine and declared he would prefer to play as a 4-3 DE.

Did Thompson need an engraved non-invitation to know that besides the conversion risk the guy was not all that keen about trying it? He was just one stop short of saying, "Thompson, don't draft me."

So, the off season plan, as stated by McCarthy, was to play Perry at elephant with opportunities to put his hand in the dirt off the edge. There was so much confidence in the success of this plan that Peppers was signed instead putting Perry's new duties in the opportunities discarded file.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you're taking it a bit far. Perry didn't say that he wouldn't or didn't want to play 3-4 OLB. Here's what he said:

Source: http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/perry-unsure-about-playing-outside-linebacker

I think some people run a little too far with Perry's candor. Nick Perry could have given a canned response about how he was ready to into any system and dominate like with over the top swagger and self assuredness like a pro wrestler heal. To me Perry was straight forward and honest, can't fault a guy for admitting that he was nervous about a position change. Should we have gotten Courtney Upshaw instead? Whereas Perry has shown he can be an impact player but has struggled to stay healthy, Upshaw has generally been healthy but never been more than just a guy.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I was really impressed with a guy I have been ******* "Morgan Burnett". I know he had the strip that caused the fumble but I was more impressed with the way he was flying around the field. He made a couple key plays. It was very refreshing to see Burnett play the way he did.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
STUDS:(1) offensive line, (2) Lacy(got his groove back) (3) Dom Capers, YES Capers! finally took the handcuffs off his dogs, luv it,(4) Lambeau field perfect for running and (gasp) Tackling (5) Defense GOOD JOB

DUDS: Christian Ponder, whats up with the wedding ring? never been a fan of jewelry on players but wearing a ring when your finger could be jammed ouch! just like getting your helmet ripped off wearing ear rings double ouch!

H

HardRightEdge

I think you're taking it a bit far. Perry didn't say that he wouldn't or didn't want to play 3-4 OLB. Here's what he said:

He also said this:

Source: http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/perry-unsure-about-playing-outside-linebacker
Well, I interpret these quotes, together with packing on the 20 lbs., as a clear non-invitation. Whatever waffling there might have been in those quotes reads like a cover-your-bases. A draft-eligible player can't say, "I will do this but I won't do that" without looking like a prima donna which could put off the guys he'd prefer to play for and generally drop his draft value.

Further, if a guy ends up getting drafted by a team that slates him for a non-preferred position, he doesn't want a history of quotes adamantly expressing displeasure with such an eventuality...they will get thrown back in his face at every false step.

Perry was as clear about his desires as a player can be without being stupid about it.

Any quotes on the matter after Perry was drafted should be taken with a grain of salt. A rookie contract is a 4 year indentured servitude, albeit a very highly paid one. No point in antagonizing the boss when there's nowhere else to go.

Members online

Latest posts