Official Pack vs Vikings studs and duds

H

HardRightEdge

I think some people run a little too far with Perry's candor. Nick Perry could have given a canned response about how he was ready to into any system and dominate like with over the top swagger and self assuredness like a pro wrestler heal. To me Perry was straight forward and honest, can't fault a guy for admitting that he was nervous about a position change. Should we have gotten Courtney Upshaw instead? Whereas Perry has shown he can be an impact player but has struggled to stay healthy, Upshaw has generally been healthy but never been more than just a guy.
I don't fault Perry at all...he didn't have a choice in the matter. I fault Thompson.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't find fault with a performance that was lopsided from the word go. It can be said "look at the competition"; they were missing Peterson and other key players". But for me, that only comes into play if it's close. Otherwise, I measure the team against itself, and the Packers were on in all three phases; enough to give fits to any team in the league.
So, IMO, this is an all studs/ no duds edition.

-Welcome back, Eddie Lacy.

-Has anyone seen a more confident, r-e-l-a-x-e-d QB than Aaron Rodgers?

-The defense played at a higher and faster level. Great and consistent pass rush, with a lot of twists and looks. Kudos, Dom Capers.

-If I said ARod would throw for only 156 yards; that Jordy would catch only 1 pass; that Lacy would only carry the ball 13 times, then said they'd score 42 points, would anyone have believed me?

-Any glitches by the packer offense I give credit to the Vikes D, especially their front line. Zimmer will eventually put together a D to be reckoned with.

-Can't remember when I last said the Packers won both lines of scrimmage.

- Mike Daniels walked the walk- big time.

-Julius Peppers age is a non issue.

-The more I watch Linsely, the more impressed I am. And the more I think he's the center of the future.

- Best I've seen Burnett play in a while. Keep it going.

-Hayward is ready to bust out and back into Mr. Big Play. An instinctive player.

-Starting to get a little concerned about Matthews.

All in all, a fun party at Lambeau.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
DUDS:
HHCD: He got run over a few times for 1st downs.

D. Jones: He didn't have much of an impact and he got injured.

This is only to show how two people can come to different conclusions.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...gainst-the-vikings-b99364149z1-278101401.html

Datone Jones played just 17 snaps before departing with an ankle injury. RT Phil Loadholt probably played as poorly as he ever has against Green Bay, and one of his 6 1/2 pressures came on Jones' first-series inside charge and warranted a holding penalty.

Jones also registered a knockdown against C John Sullivan with the same move that he beat Bears C Brian de la Puente for a sack four days earlier.

The Packers used the 3-4 17 times and the 4-3 none for a base run defense.

Jones is just average at the point, but even on his poorest snaps he almost always bows up instead of being obliterated. His improvement has been evident weekly.

Micah Hyde keeps starting, but Ha Ha Clinton-Dix was the preferred player again (68 to 42 in snaps). The rookie is eager to make plays and isn't afraid to try.

H

HardRightEdge

What comments are you talking about specifically? I don't remember Perry saying anything about what he would and wouldn't do, only what he preferred. The comments I gave were from the Combine, which is before he was drafted.
First, I was commenting on the quotes you posted.

Second, I already commented on why a draft-eligible player would not go beyond stating preferences publicly. Given the context, stating any preference at all is fairly bold. Packing on 20 lbs. is bolder still.

Third, I don't know if there are any quotes available where Perry stated that he liked his role post-draft. The point was, if anyone were to drag one out, it wouldn't alter my view. Only knuckleheads complain publicly about the job they're asked to do; only a knucklehead superstar might manage to get away with it; the rank-and-file non-knuckleheads stick with happy-talk whether they're happy or not.

The point being, I think it imprudent to spend a first round pick on a guy who would rather be somewhere else. There are enough things that can go wrong, projections that don't quite materialize, without adding a preference variable.

I've now exhausted my thoughts on the matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Okay. I don't get the hate for Perry. You use it against him because he put on 20 lbs? That's quite interesting. I like when guys put on good muscle weight like Perry did. It shows they are taking their opportunity seriously, and they are working hard. On top of that, most guys would rather be 4-3 DE's because the position pays more than 3-4 OLB. It's also easier for most guys to transition to the 4-3 DE in the NFL than the 3-4 OLB in the NFL. It's not some secret. I am honestly surprised that someone would use this one comment about a preference (not an unwillingness or anything like that) against Perry to such a bold extent.
I wish you would read more carefully before you post.

Yesterday I said I don't blame Perry; I blame Thompson. Today, I reiterated that it was imprudent to draft him...no blame on the player there either.

Second, I believe I made it abundantly clear that Perry packing on 20 lbs. for the Combine was an obvious attempt to boost his bona fides as a 4-3 DE. No blame placed on the player there either. I don't know how much more obvious it could have been that we drafted a guy to do something he preferred not do. I said it at the time it happened, I said it yesterday (which you didn't get), and I repeat it now. If that's not enough, here we are, 3 years in, and we've got a role/spot player who looks like he's out of position.

As for Perry wanting to go where the money is, top edger rushers get paid top money regardless of scheme. Good edge rushers get good money. I don't that argument holds any water.

He didn't even get many snaps (if any) this last game until the lead was stretched. I can't say I recall seeing him doing anything in the first half. Did you?

Oh, in case you missed it...I'll say it again...I don't blame Perry, I blame Thompson.

When I said I exhausted my thoughts on the matter it was under the naive assumption you'd actually read what I wrote and are not replingy to some imaginings.

I could get into the fact that some of the Combine times are not that good and may explain why he doesn't look as fast in space as his 40 time suggests...but that's for another day.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Except you are blaming Perry for things. You are making all these implications about Perry about how he wasn't actually happy and all of that. Just because a guy wants to be a 4-3 DE doesn't mean he's unhappy playing in as a 3-4 OLB.

Also, of course you blame TT for drafting Perry and not Perry for drafting Perry. I'm not saying you are blaming Perry for the draft pick, but you are blaming Perry for things such as comments he made.

Finally, saying that you have nothing else to say on the matter does not mean I have nothing else to add, so trying to shut me up and trying to get the last word by saying you were exhausted on the matter was naive of you.

You have really taken Perry's comments and run with them IMO.
I expected you would reply and was prepared to give you the last word. Then you misrepresented my statements...evidently an occupational hazard when dealing with you. I was not inclined to let that go by.

Since I've beaten my head against the wall once already, I'm not inclined to do it again, even though with your most recent misrepresentation . So you've had the last word on this matter, and are welcome to another. Proud a ya.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't know why you are so upset, but let me put it this way. You said this:

IMO, that is an illogical jump, and you have yet to back that up with any solid evidence or sources. I think this is a major sticking point in our disagreement.
FYI...I'm not upset. My head is sore from beating it against the wall.

So there you have it...you had the second last word on the subject. Or is that the last last word?

Members online

Latest posts