Official Game Day Thread: Packers @ Falcons - 1/15: WIN 48 - 21

Falconfansince82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am really looking forward to the rematch at the Dome. And thank you guys for beating the overrated Eagles :yes2:. The last game came down to the wire, and I'm certain we will have another thrilling matchup on our hands. You guys have always been a classy fanbase both on here and on our official Falcons Message Board. Here's to a great showdown Saturday night at the Dome!

Falconfansince82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
falcons fans love us :)

I think the feeling is mutual. We have to put up with Aint and vick trolls ALL year long, so it's nice to have fans who are classy and knowledgeable in football. You guys are attached to your team from birth until you die. I have a few friends who are packer fans, and they are the nicest group I have ever met.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, we're pretty awesome ;)

Seriously, their fans, at least the ones that appeared in here, also seemed to be really classy.

I've been to The Falcoholic, The Falcoholic - For Atlanta Falcons Fans, watching some previews and what they think about us. Some of them are really cocky, borderline ignorants.

But most of them are really respectful, polite and knowledgeable.

love the ones trashing arod for his lack of class (rolls eyes)

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sounds like driver is in practice and ok. Whew. and bigby, hall, and zombo all were practicing. :)

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the 1st game we had the ball inside the 5 yrd line on our first two drives.
We got a FG and a TO for a total of 3 pts

this Sat. we have to convert and take care of the ball and we'll be fine!

Anyone else see that ATL is SHUT DOWN right now?!??
They got hit by a winter storm and are frozen in around 4 inches of ice!
It was on the national news tonight and forgive me but I couldn't stop laughin' (Up here in Michigan we're frozen in ice from Nov-April)

Anyway... maybe we can get them to play us in Florida at a neutral site

just a thought, think ATL wouldn't mind! There fans are gonna need skates to get to that game anyway!

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the 1st game we had the ball inside the 5 yrd line on our first two drives.
We got a FG and a TO for a total of 3 pts

this Sat. we have to convert and take care of the ball and we'll be fine!

Anyone else see that ATL is SHUT DOWN right now?!??
They got hit by a winter storm and are frozen in around 4 inches of ice!
It was on the national news tonight and forgive me but I couldn't stop laughin' (Up here in Michigan we're frozen in ice from Nov-April)

Anyway... maybe we can get them to play us in Florida at a neutral site

just a thought, think ATL wouldn't mind! There fans are gonna need skates to get to that game anyway!

I will go rent a bus and drive them to GB if we can have the game at lambeau. Im sure we can find 2,000 people to help get the stadium ready.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't think it's going to be held at Lambeau, the league wouldn't do that. They should be able to get everything ready for Saturday, I'm more concerned with people traveling around the area as travel appears to be treacherous. It's a safety issue and while this is a crippling storm, things should be improved before game time.

Has anyone noticed the presence of snow at these games and associated it with the Packers? On the day the Packers arrived in Philly, a major snow storm hit. Now, Atlanta, a place that really doesn't experience heavy snowfall is socked with a foot of snow. That same storm has made it's way up the coast and is now terrorizing Philly and will eventually become a blizzard to New England. I know it sounds funny but it's almost as if The Frozen Tundra is preceding itself! Maybe it's like some kind of early warning. :) The Pack cometh!

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Don't think it's going to be held at Lambeau, the league wouldn't do that. They should be able to get everything ready for Saturday, I'm more concerned with people traveling around the area as travel appears to be treacherous. It's a safety issue and while this is a crippling storm, things should be improved before game time.

Has anyone noticed the presence of snow at these games and associated it with the Packers? On the day the Packers arrived in Philly, a major snow storm hit. Now, Atlanta, a place that really doesn't experience heavy snowfall is socked with a foot of snow. That same storm has made it's way up the coast and is now terrorizing Philly and will eventually become a blizzard to New England. I know it sounds funny but it's almost as if The Frozen Tundra is preceding itself! Maybe it's like some kind of early warning. :) The Pack cometh!
I think it just relates best to the NFC North teams. The Vikes in Philly. The Bears, in general. The Vikes at home...

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Indeed, this tells you something. A +1 is pretty much nothing. Keep in mind they also favored the Eagles by +3. But a +1 is pretty much equal footing. Indeed, they are pretty much saying the Packers (#6), and the Falcons (#1) stand equal save one pt. They must think it's going to be a very close game as the two teams are equally matched. I interpret this as a huge compliment going into this game. We are as good as the best, but than again we knew this for awhile. We've played Atlanta before as well as the Patriots and were in contention to beat them both. Our losses to both teams were by extremely slim margins. Both those teams are the #1 seeds, respectively. So, where does that put the Packers? I'm not going to pay much attention to the seeds anymore. I'm just going to let the Packers take care of that for us. As it stands now, I see the #6 seed to be equal, if not better than the #1 seed(s), so what does it matter anyway? The Packers are all that matters, right now I don't think there is a team left we cannot beat or at least be in serious contention. That makes me a very happy feline Packer!
In case anybody doesn't know, the home team is always a 3 point favorite. When you get less it's a plus for the away team. So a visiting team who faces a 1 point underdog is actually a 2 point favorite.
Lines work like this...people bet on opening lines, say Falcons give up one point, people are betting the Packers are going to win with that extra point. On The Bet that is. Not on the game. If all bets coming in are on Packers they adjust that bet down to equal the bets.
The takers of the bets want the best middle road, they scoop all the money on the margins. So anything less than 3 point favorites for the home team makes them underdogs.
Further, this is just how betting goes, this is professionals and amateurs trying to figure out how it all goes.
Professionals might have GB as minus 5 dogs, but they are averaged out by the occasional bettor who sees a plus 1 as enough to bet on GB.
Occasional or sport bettors far outnumber the professionals so it's a bit of a crap shoot, one can't take much from lines.
Either way, it's always positive that you're favored. But dont' tell the Seahawks that, they are dogs who need to perform.
So truth be told Kitten, the bettors saw us as equal to Philly, but actually are betting in favor of the Packers at this point, however.....
This can change, keep an eye on the spread, it might change to equal betting and then you will see the opinion of the average bettor.
It will never reflect the opinion of the professional bettor.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I just signed on to twitter yesterday. Getting good info from 18 current Packers and some former ones...Dorsey Levins for one. I LOL at this one:

Falcon line will lay down like a $5 hooker.

Bookmark ESPNMilwaukee radio. Packer talk all mourning long and a lot of interviews with Packer Players. Thanks to Wilde for the tweet.

packattack10

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More birds!!! Look at these Packers stomping around, making all the birdies fly away!!!

We almost beat them the first time, this time I think we can do it! They are standing between us and the SB, we will take them down.

a bedtime story:
Little Kitten has been on the prowl, hunting birds. Stalks and kills the little birdies to bring home to the beloved Packers. Nice Kitten! Feasting on some Eagles wings tonight! Extra crispy or original recipe. Daintily licks paws, mmmm good Eagles! Now for some Falcons!

Sleep tight Falcons!!!

HAHA. Just laughed out loud!

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I just signed on to twitter yesterday. Getting good info from 18 current Packers and some former ones...Dorsey Levins for one. I LOL at this one:

Falcon line will lay down like a $5 hooker.

Bookmark ESPNMilwaukee radio. Packer talk all mourning long and a lot of interviews with Packer Players. Thanks to Wilde for the tweet.

That is too funny!!!! awwww now I may have to sign up to twitter! It may be more fun that FB.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As I am typing this, I am listening to ESPN Milwaukee. They have been talking non stop packers for 8 hours. So I can type and listen. Just had an interview with Falcon TE Tony Gonzales and the host asked him straight out "come on, tell me the truth, did you catch that 4th down pass?" Gonzales hemmed and hawed for a while, and when pushed he just laughed saying "well it's in the record book as a catch".

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good piece here from ESPN.com Kevin Seifert:

Did the Green Bay Packers suddenly, and nearly by accident, discover a running game in the 18th week of their season? Or was James Starks a one-game fluke who will fade into the background as quickly as he exploded onto the scene?

So goes one of the primary questions this week as the Packers prepare for Saturday night's divisional playoff game against the Atlanta Falcons. If you recall, the Packers all but abandoned their running game in the teams' Week 12 matchup at the Georgia Dome. In a 20-17 loss, the Packers got only 26 yards on 11 carries from their running backs. Quarterback Aaron Rodgers (51 yards) was their leading rusher, and the Packers used a five-receiver set on 14 of their 59 plays.

Although the Packers amassed 418 total yards in the game, their limited running game hurt them on two red-zone possessions in the first half. Of course, you know where this is going. If Starks can provide anything close to the 123-yard performance he produced Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles, well. ...

"That's all we've been hearing," Packers cornerback Charles Woodson said. "That we can't advance without a running game. ... If we can have that, along with Aaron [Rodgers], Greg [Jennings], [Donald] Driver, Jordy [Nelson], James Jones and those guys, watch out."

So after we get past the novelty of Starks' performance against the Eagles, what do we make of it? I asked Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. for some perspective.

"It wasn't a fluke," Williamson said. "He has ability and probably would have been a second-round pick if he had been a 'clean prospect' coming out of college. ... There is no doubt that he is the most talented runner on that team and has fresh legs. He shows vision, power and explosion. I didn't think Philly played the run very well or tackled well, but he got at least what was blocked consistently -- if not more. To me, that is all you can ask and he is capable of doing it."

Starks has played in four games this season, including the playoffs, and has two of their top four rushing performances. The chart speaks equally to his skills and the Packers' relative failure to replace injured starter Ryan Grant. Packers coach Mike McCarthy has already said Starks will get his share of opportunities Saturday against the Falcons. What he does with them will be fascinating.

Technically, the Falcons had the NFL's 10th-best run defense during the regular season. But probably because they were playing from behind so often, Falcons opponents attempted an average of 22.9 running plays against them per game, the second-fewest in the NFL this season. Within those relatively few plays, the Falcons allowed an average of 4.6 yards per carry -- the sixth-highest in the NFL.

In other words, teams ran on the Falcons this season when they tried. Before Sunday, you wouldn't have counted the Packers as a team that would even try.

If nothing else, Starks will force the Falcons to expand their defensive preparation. It will also add more of a threat to the Packers' play-action game, one that was successful all season despite their shaky running game.

Indeed, Rodgers averaged one touchdown pass for every 10 play-action passes he threw during the regular season, according to ESPN Stats & Information (eight in 80 attempts.) That was double the rate of his other 395 attempts.

OK. Enough with the numbers. What does this all mean? Here's where I land: With a one-dimensional offense, the Packers were within three points of the Falcons in November. With the Starks we saw against the Eagles, they have a balance that gives them the potential to finish what they started in Week 12.

Members online

Latest posts