Official Game Day Thread: Packers @ Cardinals 8/28: WIN 44 - 37

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This backup defense looks a lot like our starting defense last season. The Cards converted just too many 3rd and long situations.

(38-38 right now...that was riddiculous)

AzPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby's point after attempt blocked...Arizona penalized for lining up in the neutral zone. MM decides not to tempt fate again with Crosby, tries a 2 pt. conversion...it fails...uuuuggghhhh. Almost cost us the game...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, 1st against 1st it was a blowout, but our backups looked like crap. And I'm very worried about Crosby (AGAIN). I doubt that he'll only need to convert 28 yard kicks. And even then, he's failing. Liked the punter, though. DL wasn't so impressive... But Rodgers, talk about dominance... All in all, good test, and our 1st team did very well. They are the reining NFC Champions after all...
-
And here's a stat that kind of sums the whole preseason. Offensive starters: 12 possessions so far. 9 TDs. 1 field goal. We didn't punt so far, with the starters.

AzPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, 1st against 1st it was a blowout, but our backups looked like crap. And I'm very worried about Crosby (AGAIN). I doubt that he'll only need to convert 28 yard kicks. And even then, he's failing. Liked the punter, though. DL wasn't so impressive... But Rodgers, talk about dominance... All in all, good test, and our 1st team did very well. They are the reining NFC Champions after all...
-
And here's a stat that kind of sums the whole preseason. Offensive starters: 12 possessions so far. 9 TDs. 1 field goal. We didn't punt so far, with the starters.
I've been worried about Crosby since last year when he started costing us games. I just don't think he can cut it. I hope they start looking for a couple of veteran kickers to challenge him for this last preseason game. We can't have him blowing games again this year. I really thought the reason we went for 2 pts. at the end of the game is because MM had lost faith in Crosby...but even that backfired on us when we didn't convert.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That Ruvell onside return was insane. I don't think I've ever seen an onside kick recover for a TD. I basically agree with what PackersRS said about the game. Crosby did not look good at all. Remember though, Ruvell Martin was the holder since Flynn was hurt so that might have been the problem.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Clearly everyone that says they're worried about Mason weren't watching the holds. Ruvell was bobbling the ball all night, even on the ones that went in. I never realized just how vital Matt Flynn was until I saw Martin attempt to hold. I'm not worried about Crosby at all.

Our starters couldn't look better. I sort of scoffed when I read Peter King saying that through the first 2 weeks we were the best team in the preseason. Now, all of a sudden it's hard to argue that. The offense is the sharpest I've ever seen it in a preseason, the defense is playing with Playoff game intensity and is forcing turnovers like they're playing Madden with the difficulty on Rookie. I realize it's preseason, but screw it, i'm officially a believer. I really think that this team, barring injuries because our backups are clearly awful, is a contender not only for the North, but a sleeper to make noise in the Playoffs. Favre made a mistake, I feel pretty confident we're well equipped to spank them and anyone else that gets in our way. This team looks like it's on an absolute mission, if they don't win 11 games, I'll be surprised.

If Aaron Rodgers is this sharp all season, he wins his first NFL MVP barring Brady or Manning throwing 50 TDs. He was on pace to throw for 500 yards today at halftime against the defense that represented the NFC in the Super Bowl last year. That bomb to Jordy was the prettiest throw i've seen anyone make all preseason, and thanks to NFL Net i've seen A LOT of preseason football. I wonder what San Francisco thinks when they see Rodgers doing what he does, and then they remember they passed on him for Alex Smith.

One thing that still worries me is the running game. Grant looked okay tonight I suppose. Jackson too. Sutton needs the rock more.

Raji looked a bit slow at times tonight too. Still getting into game shape, I suppose.

Maybe i'm not watching close enough, but outside of the fumble recovery, it seems to me Kampman disappears at times.

I think Brohm made strides tonight, but I still hope to God we never have to use him when it counts.

How bad did our defense make Kurt Warner look tonight? And they actually did a decent job on Fitz, which surprised me. He burned us a couple times, but I thought he'd torture Harris all night. Pleasant surprise.

Obviously a great game for us (outside of the backups, who for the second straight game almost gave up a huge lead). To manhandle the defending conference champs (I don't care that they didn't have Boldin or Breaston) is one hell of a confidence boost going into the opener. I just pray that this momentum keeps up all the way through, oh say, early February.

Fazeman

Setting The Pace
Reaction score
I came away with a few things from this game:

1) Reading your posts summed up everything and then some. This kind of thread beats the crap out of sports analysts.

2) I never knew what streaming was until last night. I actually got to watch the game.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Yeah, Arizonia can say they didn't have Boldin or Breaston, well after the first I 2-3 plays we didn't have Jennings. I think it was obvious that GB game planned for Arizonia. Next time we meet them it should be a much more difficult game. So lets not get too excited although it's hard not too.

Man, the first team offense is rocking. Aaron looked like a pro-bowler out there and our O-line was nearly perfect! What a surprise. I was thinking the Card's D would expose our O-line a bit, but it didn't happen. Aaron got knocked down only once from what I remember. WOW!!

I think the biggest concern I have is that our pass rush from the D-line pretty much was not a factor in getting pressure. If it wasn't for Woodson there wasn't much pressure at all. Woodson is a FREAK!!! That dude can just PLAY! Hopefully the first team D can continue to improve!

I have to agree with the other comments regarding our 2nd string. Man, they were getting a BEAT down on nearly everything. Missed blocks, poor coverage, no pass rush at all. GB is going to have a long year if we have to rely too much on the backups.

I thought one bright spot on the backups was Sutton. I think he should have cut it back to the right instead of trying to take on a defender head to head at the goal line. That looked like a rookie mistake. In college he might have been able to blow a guy back, but not now. Got to see him catch a ball and turn it up field. They need to find a roster spot for this dude. He looked quick too.

58 Lansanah DESTROYED the Card's Stephen-Howling with a vicious hit. ********! I love seeing our D laying the wood, but that hit looked dangerous! I think the most dangerous guys out there are the ones trying to keep their jobs/make the team. You could see Lansanah wobbling around after that that. Hate to see people hurt in preseason.

GBpsyco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Clay Matthews playing at all? I watched the game on NFL network saturday morning and the announcers for the Cards were horrible, they never mentioned the
GB defensive line-up all game. BTW, if we have to count on any of the back-ups I seen, we are in some deep S#*T.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, some things:
AzPackerFan, the reason we went for 2 is that then the game would be def. over. If we went for 1, and they scored a TD, if they converted a 2 it would be a tie.

Yes, I agree with Jess and ThinkICare about Martin. But missing a 28 yard FG is inexcusable. I'm very worried about Crosby.

Kampman is worrying me, Jess. Sackless this preseason. He seemed to me like he wasn't putting so much effort, wasn't bullrushing, wasn't making moves... Hope with his TD he can regain his fire.

Our 2nd teamer SUCKED. Specially the D. HOWEVER, Capers went vanilla the 2nd half. Watch the game again. He played nickel and rushed the 4 DL during the whole half. The only time he went agressive was on the last drive. And we allowed a TD. So we sucked anyway.

GBpsyco, Matthews haven't played yet. He'll get some reps against TEN. Thompson played last night, and didn't catch my attention. There're 2 positions on the D that I'm worried about. ROLB and SS. But even then, Smith played very well, and so did Poppinga last game. And we still got Matthews and Bigby.
-
Oh, and one more thing. It's completely BS that they didn't prepare to us. EVERY team prepares aginst the opponent during week 3 of the preseason. Their players may have taken it lightly, but they gameplanned. And even if they didn't gameplan AS MUCH as we did, using that as an excuse for a 38-10 blowout it's pathetic. They're trying to convince me that they didn't prepare TO FUMBLE THAT MUCH???

GBpsyco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[Oh, and one more thing. It's completely BS that they didn't prepare to us. EVERY team prepares aginst the opponent during week 3 of the preseason. Their players may have taken it lightly, but they gameplanned. And even if they didn't gameplan AS MUCH as we did, using that as an excuse for a 38-10 blowout it's pathetic. They're trying to convince me that they didn't prepare TO FUMBLE THAT MUCH???[/quote]

I'm wondering if Leinart opened some eyes, he looked 1,000 times better
than he has in the past. Warner looked like he did when he was with the NYG's

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Oh, and one more thing. It's completely BS that they didn't prepare to us. EVERY team prepares aginst the opponent during week 3 of the preseason. Their players may have taken it lightly, but they gameplanned. And even if they didn't gameplan AS MUCH as we did, using that as an excuse for a 38-10 blowout it's pathetic. They're trying to convince me that they didn't prepare TO FUMBLE THAT MUCH???

Yeah, now that you mention it, it's dumb to imagine the Cards walking into the game with NO game plan for us. I think that is an excuse by Coach Whisenhunt in his post game. "I think GB game planned us", kind of insinuating that they didn't do that. Your right, that reeks of BS. Cards just got smoked by us. I'm really excited about this year, even though it's only preseason.

The modern Cards have NEVER been in this position before as NFC champions. I don't think they understand that EVERYBODY will be gunning for them as they are the team to beat in the NFC.

ohiopacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ole saying goes-"pratice like you play "

Vince Lombardi's pre-season record was 41-9. Get that winning attitude and carry it over to the regular season. GO PACK !!!!!:happy0005::drinks::beer::drink::smoke::drunk:

Fazeman

Setting The Pace
Reaction score
I watched the game on NFL network saturday morning and the announcers for the Cards were horrible, they never mentioned theGB defensive line-up all game.

I took notice of the announcers too. They treated the Cards like the Harlem Globetrotters and the Pack like the generic opposition.

[Oh, and one more thing. It's completely BS that they didn't prepare to us. EVERY team prepares aginst the opponent during week 3 of the preseason. Their players may have taken it lightly, but they gameplanned. And even if they didn't gameplan AS MUCH as we did, using that as an excuse for a 38-10 blowout it's pathetic. They're trying to convince me that they didn't prepare TO FUMBLE THAT MUCH???

Yeah, now that you mention it, it's dumb to imagine the Cards walking into the game with NO game plan for us. I think that is an excuse by Coach Whisenhunt in his post game. "I think GB game planned us", kind of insinuating that they didn't do that. Your right, that reeks of BS. Cards just got smoked by us. I'm really excited about this year, even though it's only preseason.

The modern Cards have NEVER been in this position before as NFC champions. I don't think they understand that EVERYBODY will be gunning for them as they are the team to beat in the NFC.

As it has been pointed out, game three is dress rehearsal. You couldn't help but notice the Cards play with all the intensity they could muster. The Pack literally trounced them.

Kampman is worrying me, Jess. Sackless this preseason. He seemed to me like he wasn't putting so much effort, wasn't bullrushing, wasn't making moves... Hope with his TD he can regain his fire.

You have to go back to Kampman's (non-game) interview on June 3rd to see his "deer in the headlights" reaction to the new defense. I've never seen him so out of place with the media folks. Very uncomfortable to watch. For Kampman and others, the 3-4 D is the equivalent to early movie stars transitioning from silent pictures to talkies.

I see the 3-4 as more of a opportunistic game. In other words, depending on who they play, a few players may shine in one game while others will shine in another.

AzPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, some things:
AzPackerFan, the reason we went for 2 is that then the game would be def. over. If we went for 1, and they scored a TD, if they converted a 2 it would be a tie.

Yes, I agree with Jess and ThinkICare about Martin. But missing a 28 yard FG is inexcusable. I'm very worried about Crosby.

Our 2nd teamer SUCKED. Specially the D. HOWEVER, Capers went vanilla the 2nd half. Watch the game again. He played nickel and rushed the 4 DL during the whole half. The only time he went agressive was on the last drive. And we allowed a TD. So we sucked anyway.

GBpsyco, Matthews haven't played yet. He'll get some reps against TEN. Thompson played last night, and didn't catch my attention. There're 2 positions on the D that I'm worried about. ROLB and SS. But even then, Smith played very well, and so did Poppinga last game. And we still got Matthews and Bigby.
-
Well, sorry, but that logic doesn't wash with me. We DID go for 1, then after Crosby missed, and a penalty caused us to get an extra 2 yards closer to the goal line, THEN we went for the 2 points. Are you telling me that the extra 2 yards closer is the reason we went for 2, and not the fact that Crosby couldn't make a simple extra point? Maybe I'll buy that kind of "coaches logic" because the holder was a guy who doesn't normally hold for Crosby, and as I understand it now, it was due to Flynn's injury (which I was unaware of while watching the game). However, in my opinion, that just shows how vulnerable the Pack is to potentially losing games when a regular position player gets hurt, and MM can't count on his backup players to step in. He is going to make some goofy decisions at game time if that is how he thinks. My only point is, we must be extremely overconfident in our starters staying healthy all season, or tremendously unprepared to use our backups. They should be practicing the backup planyers as well as the regulars. Obviously that hasn't been done.

Members online

Latest posts