Official DE Datone Jones thread

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought I saw some ghosts on Jones' senior tape. This explains it.

Its too bad they didn't have recorders back in 2011 and 2012, if only the team's scouts could have watched him play during those years to aid their evaluation process of him.

H

HardRightEdge

Its too bad they didn't have recorders back in 2011 and 2012, if only the team's scouts could have watched him play during those years to aid their evaluation process of him.
Increased senior production; weaker senior competition. Up, down, sideways?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Increased senior production; weaker senior competition. Up, down, sideways?

Let me apologize for my initial sarcastic remark, it was too familiar. However, I do think that the SEC competition argument has become something of an old saw. Trotted out too much, used too often and quite frankly I find it suspect. Yes the SEC is dominant but consider which two schools produce the lionshare of the players from that conference, LSU and Alabama(yes Georgia and Floria do produce quite a few NFL players as well). Is a player at Alabama really facing a higher level of athletic competition that let's say a player at UCLA or for that matter Baylor? I'm not so sure when you're actually playing for the team with the most athletic talent in the Country. Of course when it comes to players from South Carolina, Vandy, TN and Ole Miss well yes their performance against the likes of LSU and Alabama certainly does provide some valuable insight.

As for this last question. Perhaps but I'd argue that the analysis from scouts and his performance in the Senior Bowl suggest that he really did improve and improve substantially. Furthermore I'd argue that even if the players he faced at USC/Stanford aren't what they were in 2011 I would argue that the physical talent is most likely comparable given the quality of those two programs.

H

HardRightEdge

Let me apologize for my initial sarcastic remark, it was too familiar.

No need to apologize or stand on formalities.

Is a player at Alabama really facing a higher level of athletic competition that let's say a player at UCLA or for that matter Baylor?

Yes. Beginning with winning a starting job in the first place. Sometimes an Outland Trophy winning left tackle might even get moved to center, for example.

1/3 of the draftees in the first 3 rounds came out of the SEC. Just because it is conventional wisdom doesn't mean it isn't true.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
1/3 of the draftees in the first 3 rounds came out of the SEC. Just because it is conventional wisdom doesn't mean it isn't true.
Reminds me of, "just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you". :D

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No need to apologize or stand on formalities.

Yes. Beginning with winning a starting job in the first place. Sometimes an Outland Trophy winning left tackle might even get moved to center, for example.

That may be, but a player who plays in a significant conference(Pac-12) should not be diminished because he didn't play in the SEC. Especially when that player faced programs with comparable talent levels. Schools like Stanford USC Cal and Oregon are not soft in the talent department, and certainly are comparable on a physical level to what you find in the SEC.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players down south are just a different breed of player than out West. Im a huge Alabama fan (ROLL TIDE!) and all we have down here in the south is Football. To be honest, Football down south is like a second religion. Its all some folks have. I think a lot of what im saying here plays some kind of role when it comes to the SEC and its overall College Football dominance. When your brought up in the small towns that are scattered throughout the South, all you hear about is Football and the Friday Night Lights. All you hear about is how great your older brother was at playing and how you want to be better than him....All you hear about are the records that your uncle broke in High School and so on.

I think there is some truth to what I am saying :)

Members online

Latest posts