Off to the races.

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFC North Division title could be determined this week, even though there will still be a month to go on the season. If the Packers lose to Detroit, to take a third loss in the division this season, and Minnesota beats Seattle at home on Sunday, with just one loss in the division this year, it's pretty hard to see the Pack getting a fifth straight division title.

If the Vikings get past the Seahawks their remaining schedule is at Arizona, home to Chicago and the Giants and then closing at Lambeau. A win this Sunday and they're likely to win two out of three after that and would be 11-4 heading into the finale. And already clinched the division by the time of their second game with the Packers.

The best scenario for the Packers would be to have Seattle beat Minny this week and then have them lose at Arizona next Thursday. A very plausible scenario. They would also need the Bears to go into Minneapolis and do to the Vikes what they did to the Pack on Thanksgiving night. Again, possible.

Assuming the Queens win against the Giants that puts them 9-6 coming into Green Bay Jan. 3. Of course, the Packers are going to have to take care of their business. If they lose tonight but come back to beat Dallas and get a road win at Oakland they would still be in pretty good shape for making the playoffs at 9-5 going into the final two games.

However, a win at Detroit plus the next two jumps them to 10-5 - still assuming a loss at Arizona- heading into Jan. 3.

It might be questioned whether winning the NFCN this year will be much more than an ego achievement. It's virtually certain that the first place division team will be playing in the Wild Card round at any rate. Under the old " if the playoffs started today" routine a wild card Green Bay team would be at the NFC East "winner" Washington, New York or Philadelphia. An NFC North champion Packers team would host Seattle. That seems like pretty much of a wash to me.

The Packers are still the first wild card team in the playoff standings with Seattle coming up one game, plus tiebreakers, behind them.

Seattle's remining schedule is at Minnesota and Baltimore, home to Cleveland and St.Louis, and finishing at Arizona.

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The division records at this point, are likely irrelevant. We can still take Minnesota on the head to head, which we will probably need to to do Week 17 to win the division anyway.

If we go 2-0 vs. Minnesota it does not matter what the division records are, we get the tiebreaker over them.

Beagle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As of right now I don´t consider the Seahawks the best team in the NFC but their defense is playing on an elite level again. Their offense still has to improve though.

As of last night I think they're now well lined up for a run on the Super bowl. Not sure there are many teams capable of stopping them when they're in full charge

D

Deleted member 6794

As of last night I think they're now well lined up for a run on the Super bowl. Not sure there are many teams capable of stopping them when they're in full charge

To be fair I made this comment nearly a month ago. The Seahawks offense has tremendously improved over the last few weeks and they'll be an dangerous team in the playoffs.

Sky King

Reaction score
To be fair I made this comment nearly a month ago. The Seahawks offense has tremendously improved over the last few weeks and they'll be an dangerous team in the playoffs.
Their needle is definitely pointed in the right direction. They've developed an awesome antidote for what had been ailing them: momentum.

Hope the Packers find it before it's too late.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO the NFC field is now pretty much set other than the East champ. Panthers, Cardinals, Packers, Seahawks, Vikings. Now it's just a matter of who finishes where and who ends up sucking the least in the East.

Members online

Latest posts