Notebook: Packers cool toward free agents

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think, Ted Thompson was saying the free agents cut in June was over rated, but they are studying it. if there is help there for the Packers. They would consider doing something. The Packers don't have to cut anybody because we are fine with this years salary cap. But if signing a expensive player by backloading his contract for years to come & would cause us Salary Cap trouble in the future. Then I would say no the Packers would not pull the trigger on that particular high priced player. That doesn't automatically eliminate signing all free agents in June.

OP
OP
A

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PWT36 said:
I think, Ted Thompson was saying the free agents cut in June was over rated, but they are studying it. if there is help there for the Packers. They would consider doing something. The Packers don't have to cut anybody because we are fine with this years salary cap. But if signing a expensive player by backloading his contract for years to come & would cause us Salary Cap trouble in the future. Then I would say no the Packers would not pull the trigger on that particular high priced player. That doesn't automatically eliminate signing all free agents in June.

when your GM says "I wouldn't hold my breath." you don't exactly have to read between the lines...know what i mean P-Dub?

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT will play this the same way he has played everything until now - kool. If he sees something that will help the team at a decent price, he will pull the trigger.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
TT will play this the same way he has played everything until now - kool. If he sees something that will help the team at a decent price, he will pull the trigger.

I agree. TT doesn't seem like the kind of guy who will panic and throw a lot of money at a player who doesn't deserve it just because the team has a need at a position. He seems to only go after a player if he thinks he can sign the player at a reasonable price.

After we lost so much cap space with Joe Johnson, I can see TT's point in spending a little money on a few guys hoping a couple of them pan out, instead of putting all your eggs in one basket like we did with joe Johnson and end up with a non-productive player who also killed our cap situation.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope they can land Schulters. It's hard to say how well he will perform after being injured, but I haven't been very impressed with Roman and would like an upgrade there. Hopefully Freeman or Collins can upgrade the safety positions if we can't land Schulters.

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would go after Schulters but i would also try to go after Bobby Taylor and sign him to one year contract. Cause i would want a veteran cornerback opposite Al Harris just because i feel Ahmad Carrol will not do to well untill he gets over he's holding problem.

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with pretty much everyone that Schulters would be nice.

A hard hitting safety...Hmmmm. That would be a nice chance of pace... :lol:

Seems like a nice fit for us. I'd like to take a chance on him. But I think TT might, and I do say "might" sign 1FA...He's just so anti-FA...

Man, I don't mind if your not a big FA GM, but please, a nice addition like Schulters, at an affordable price...

PLEASE! LIVE A LITTLE! (no pun intended) :wink:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts